SL Guide and FAQs

If i were to farm black empire gear following shadowlands prepatch, how would i go about doing it?
probably wont be able to?

Is Black empire better than shattrath? or is this a matter of opinion still - what's the advantage? Sounds like extra stam
mostly extra stam, a bit of extra primary stat here and there and buckets of more secondaries. Its likely to get nerfed though. farming it is more a hedge than a necessity.

Can you also explain the process for the legion questline which allows you to obtain the artifact weapon?
go to hero board. click legion content. start questline.

Is Black empire better than shattrath?
a few examples
1.PNG
3.PNG
5.PNG

2.PNG
4.PNG
6.PNG

[doublepost=1600970508,1600970427][/doublepost]
probably wont be able to?
stlll farmable on ptr just dont know what a new toon has to do to get to it i would assume get far enough into the story line to get to the black empire campaign

a few examples
View attachment 16840 View attachment 16842 View attachment 16844
View attachment 16841 View attachment 16843View attachment 16845
[doublepost=1600970508,1600970427][/doublepost]
stlll farmable on ptr just dont know what a new toon has to do to get to it i would assume get far enough into the story line to get to the black empire campaign
Friendly with the 3 BFA factions
Unlock World Quests
Do the island quests.
Do the other island quest.
Do the giant sword quests.

It's about 4-5 tokens per day on average. Rares are a daily kill. Believe only the rares under the assault drop gear tokens.

https://www.wowhead.com/guides/visions-of-nzoth-introduction-questline-horrific-visions-assaults

This is what I got as a 20 xp turned-off BM in the pre-patch. In BfA, Tiragarde is the only 10 zone now - the others are now 35 up since the updated pre-patch today. I got no gems on this toon, bc copy was broken when I started it. On my 10 with the gems, the crit is like 45 or something.

View attachment 16823

Someone posted this in another thread, those are quest/tortollan scroll quest azerite items
C50DD876-69D2-4792-8417-42150492EB3C.jpeg

just a small little note they finally fixed the opening scenarios for legion/BFA so you can skip if you have already done them on a diff toon
[doublepost=1600989831,1600979119][/doublepost]
Someone posted this in another thread, those are quest/tortollan scroll quest azerite items

just wanted to clearify this is the scroll quest reward for leather if you have a heart of azeroth
scroll quest with heart.PNG

and this is the reward if you do not have a heart of azeroth
scroll quest no heart.PNG

both of these screen shots where taken today

Last edited:
How do you get the HoA quest on a 10 or 20 though? The only time I got it on PTR was on my 50, and I didn't get it until the toon actually hit 50.

How do you get the HoA quest on a 10 or 20 though? The only time I got it on PTR was on my 50, and I didn't get it until the toon actually hit 50.

So like 2 or 3 builds ago they made it so you get the quest when you get to the main city for the first time. Alternatively if you open a black empire azerite token it will give you the quest aswell.

Friendly with the 3 BFA factions
Unlock World Quests
Do the island quests.
Do the other island quest.
Do the giant sword quests.

It's about 4-5 tokens per day on average. Rares are a daily kill. Believe only the rares under the assault drop gear tokens.

https://www.wowhead.com/guides/visions-of-nzoth-introduction-questline-horrific-visions-assaults

As a level 20 F2P who copied over to a level 10 and with no linked account who had done the BFA quests before, I was unable to obtain the quest to get HoA.

We get the "Excursion to Stormwind" questline upon entering a major city, which starts immediately after the quest to go see Magni and obtain the Heart of Azeroth.

This might not be obtainable on a F2P account that isn't linked.

As a level 20 F2P who copied over to a level 10 and with no linked account who had done the BFA quests before, I was unable to obtain the quest to get HoA.
can confirm just tested this on a account that has never touched bfa and you do not get the quest. add that to the list why pure F2P will be trash

can confirm just tested this on a account that has never touched bfa and you do not get the quest. add that to the list why pure F2P will be trash

One question would be how do you get around this? Do you just have to link with an account that has a character above level 50?

And then there's also a question of whether what BFA means on the PTR is not the same as what BFA means post-PrePatch. It's possible that BFA will be removed as a "gate check" for content once SL becomes the "new" content gate. I would think PTR would account for this, but maybe it's not for some reason.

If F2P are still gated from getting HoA after the Pre-Patch comes out, the question will be *what exactly do you need to do to get that quest*.

im actually confused at this point. as of this latest build even on my main account the only way im able to get the quest is opening a black empire azerite token.

Is that something a F2P can do - or are the tokens those Bind on Account thingies that you need to already be in the zone to get?

F2P cannot get them they are they ones that drop from rares in endgame zones
[doublepost=1601004875,1601002344][/doublepost]ok so i did some digging on wowhead and found that the quest to get the heart of azeroth (A Dying world)req lvl 50 on ptr. obtaining azerite gear form the BOA black emp tokens appears to overwrite that req. Now i DO NOT have beta :( so i can not confirm this next part but the beta version of the quest says it req lvl 10 so there is still hope that after prepatch when SL goes live you will be able to get it. which means you may want to hold off on doing any quests that have the potential of rewarding azerite gear until sl go live

Last edited:
so whats my play come prepatch as a vet without bfa?

rush as many highlev chars as i can to farm as many black empire tokens as i can? with a pitstop to give 1 token to each 20 and nabbing their legion weaps and heartofazs in case that doesn't last long?

so whats my play come prepatch as a vet without bfa?

rush as many highlev chars as i can to farm as many black empire tokens as i can? with a pitstop to give 1 token to each 20 and nabbing their legion weaps and heartofazs in case that doesn't last long?

ya that seems like best bet if bfa unlocks for those without it during prepatch, not sure how that works.

ahhhh POOP yer probably right, that likely won't unlock for me until actual patch.
nuts i might get boned

I thought you said it was active because of the BC capped accounts, my point was that expansion capped accounts were merged into xpoff BG groups at the end of WTLK so that had nothing to do with the activity of the bracket past that time.
Regardless of yours or my opinions.

i did, because WWO basic game was capped to TBC deep into MOP. xp off BGs popped in the 70 brackets i mentioned. 70s on a TBC capped account whether you had xp off or on, you were placed in XP off when blizzard made that change.
[doublepost=1601080790,1601080106][/doublepost]
As they should. Grandfathered gear that makes for interesting choices compared to modern options, adds flavor and swag to a given bracket. Grandfathered anything that makes a bracket lopsided against non-grandfathered players or creates a wild upset in the impact of stats in a given bracket, essentially nukes that bracket. Blizzard's going to overlook things like this, and it's up to enthusiast communities like this one to manage the health and expectations of the community. I have no sympathy for twinks who hide behind "but anyone could have gotten it" excuses for problematic aspects of the game (not aiming at you, @shanker ; you brought up an important point in this thread, and I'm expanding on it).

My favorite upcoming example in SL: SL 19s can attain 100% mount speed by leveling to 40 before the prepatch, attaining the 100% mount speed, then landing eventually at 19 in SL. If Blizzard fails to put a level requirement or some other disabler on that ability (or fails to give everyone 100% mount speed at 19), then one of the two non-ftp/vet XP-off brackets that received the most interest in the last couple of months goes dead on arrival. Who's gonna roll up a new 19 or update an old 19 with a 40% mount speed disadvantage?

Necessary nerfs like bandages in cata, big daddies and bolt guns in cata, and the list @shanker put together get relatively quick attention from Blizzard. Subtle issues like the Cata queue bug that destroyed games for only the 60 bracket for four months, or single item oversights like fishing pole damage, or grandfathered enchantments in cata...those remain up to communities like this to point out. That's part of why guides like the one that started this thread are so important. Not only do they bring old and new players up to speed, but they also serve to publicize issues that can hold back a bracket.

Notice how Cata easily brought the majority of issues of any expansion in WoW? SL looks to overtake Cata in the sheer impact (and number of oversights) for XP-off play. Yes, it's hilarious that honor gems haven't been scaled yet. It's not hilarious when people decide not to play what could have been an otherwise popular bracket in SL because there's no point. Why PvP when everyone gets one shot? Why run a dungeon as a newbie when some other player of the same level inexplicably bulldozes the whole dungeon on their own, leaving the other four to scratch their heads?

I get that there's a subsection of XP-off players who enjoy lording gear and stat advantages over other players. That's part of twinking, and I respect the work that goes into finding and obtaining gear and stat advantages. When that pursuit breaks games because the advantages eliminate swaths of interested players or the advantages are not available to players willing to do the work but who happened to miss a particular window of opportunity, then we need to "bone our own". At the very least, more of our own will want to play, and at the very best, we make a positive impact for WoW players as a whole.

twinks bone their own, and will tell blizz all the items low level should not have, gems, legion/bfa gear, items OP, GF mount speed etc. now someone may say with xp off being in their own brackets it should not matter.

i have seen twinks from the previous version of this site with GF items do threads on wow forums complaining about a GF item they don't have, needing a nerf. now they are smarter and use mains. with the "look at my innocent leveler has to face"...whatever

upload_2020-9-26_8-18-1.png

There we go, that's a drop on PTR.

So the zone looks a little different, there's no giant worm in the sky and the sky is clear. But the assaults are still marked, rares are there. They are still soloable.
[doublepost=1601130112,1601129949][/doublepost]And sent to 10, used on 10, same ilvl

Users who are viewing this thread