110 Quick Start Guide [BfA]

At first it seems terribly underscaled, but the number on Eyes of Rage trait is before any modifier is accounted for in the damage calculation.

So once you factor in agi, mastery, versa, 2pc T21, etc, it's huge. Two eyes of rage will increase your eye beam dmg by nearly 100%, making it by far the best trait, better than the haste one which seems better at first sight.

First off, greetings to the board and thank you to the OP for this excellent guide.

I'm new to the Twink community and have just finished up a Lv 110 DH on a shared server on my primary realm (started w/ DK leveling to 70, then DH to 110 in about 8 or 9 days). I'm charging full steam ahead in spite of the fact that Eye Beams appears headed for a pretty substantial nerf. I dig the playstyle of the DH so I think it'll be fine for Islands even w/ the nerf.

As an Alliance DH, it doesn't seem possible for a 110 to acquire the 2x Eyes of Rage on chest and shoulders UNLESS you manage to get Gold-Tasseled Epaulets to drop from Harlan Sweete in N Freehold. Am I missing something here or is that the path I should plan on pursuing?

First off, greetings to the board and thank you to the OP for this excellent guide.

I'm new to the Twink community and have just finished up a Lv 110 DH on a shared server on my primary realm (started w/ DK leveling to 70, then DH to 110 in about 8 or 9 days). I'm charging full steam ahead in spite of the fact that Eye Beams appears headed for a pretty substantial nerf. I dig the playstyle of the DH so I think it'll be fine for Islands even w/ the nerf.

As an Alliance DH, it doesn't seem possible for a 110 to acquire the 2x Eyes of Rage on chest and shoulders UNLESS you manage to get Gold-Tasseled Epaulets to drop from Harlan Sweete in N Freehold. Am I missing something here or is that the path I should plan on pursuing?

Yeah, as far as I can tell, Eyes of Rage doesn't appear on anything but the chest when it comes to gear (for alliance). Which means you can't get 295 shoulders with it. You can get 280 shoulders from a couple of places.

I don't have a DH though, so perhaps someone who does can comment to confirm.

Planning on doing a 119 Druid. Do dungeons at 119 drop 300 azerite gear? Or should I follow the questing path for optimal gear?

Do dungeons at 119 drop 300 azerite gear?

At 117 the dungeon azerite gear increases to 295. The rares that drop azerite pieces do as well.
[doublepost=1541721197,1541721017][/doublepost]
https://www.wowhead.com/item=162617/shadraspawn-shoulderpads - I think you can go and kill this rare mob to get these shoulders as well.

I think that one is a phased WQ mob or something.... was a pain for me, if I recall. Note the 1.6 million health.

edit- the WQ is up right now, just create a group in the LFG tool for Umbra'rix world quest and invite anybody. Most people wont check levels for a WQ. Just got it on my 119.

Last edited:
I know this will likely sound like a really REALLY stupid question, but when you're saying SSV1, SSV2, Drustvar1 etc, is that the quest progression for that zone, or something else?? Also, if it is progression, what happens if you veer off course with this, and end up finishing the wrong part, do you still get the 295 item, just with different traits?

Thanks!

There are set quests in each zone that reward azerite pieces, neither changes. The only thing that changes is the ilvl of those pieces and it does that after a certain progression of the storyline and a certain number of azerite rewards are claimed. Once you have only 3 azerite rewards left, those three jump up to 295.

The scroll quest obtained from chests is always the same 295 helm and has no bearing at all on the other drops.

Each zone has 2 quests that drop azerite armor, and they are numbered here as drust 1, drust 2, SSV1, SSV2, etc.

You cant get to drust 1 without having drust 2 left due to storyline progression. Its not available until you progress to it via drust 1. SO say if you want Drust 1 quests reward, drust 2 is going to be 295 because its after drust 1... whether you want it or not. AND the only way to get drust 1 to be 295 is to do all the other azerite quests until its one of the final three left.

So if you want drust 1 and SSV1..... sorry, you cant do that - because that's 4 azerite quests left. Drust 1&2 and SSV 1&2. IF those were your only 4 azerite quests left, Drust1 or SSV1 will be 285 and as soon as you did one of those the remaining 3 would go to 295.

And all this includes the war campaign questline where you take the ship to the enemy zone. That's 1 azerite reward at the end.

I spent all morning working on these quests on my 110, tooltips on here say the gear is 300, I have my 300 helm so I just needed the two more pieces

after a few hours of work I finally get both my shoulders and chestplate come to find they're fucking 285 and not 300

if these aren't 300 as the tooltip on wowhead says they are then where do I get my other pieces??
upload_2018-11-11_13-23-59.png

upload_2018-11-11_13-24-12.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-11_13-26-14.png
    upload_2018-11-11_13-26-14.png
    423 KB · Views: 577
I spent all morning working on these quests on my 110, tooltips on here say the gear is 300, I have my 300 helm so I just needed the two more pieces

after a few hours of work I finally get both my shoulders and chestplate come to find they're fucking 285 and not 300

if these aren't 300 as the tooltip on wowhead says they are then where do I get my other pieces??

Did you read the guide?

There are 7 pieces available from zone quests and war campaign, only the last 3 are going to be 295. So you need to pick 4 quests to finish first, and save the best 2-3 pieces for last.

Yet another question and surprised to see this isn't covered; gems and enchants? I noticed on Speedruns' DH that he's using Legion gems rather than BFA gems. Does this have something to do with scaling (which admittedly, I'm not exactly clear on how that works regarding gems, enchants, etc.)? A simple explanation would be greatly appreciated.

BfA gems scale down for toons that are 110 or below. So at 110...

https://www.wowhead.com/item=154126/deadly-amberblaze (BfA blue) - 9 crit
https://www.wowhead.com/item=153710/deadly-solstone (BfA green) - 7 crit
https://www.wowhead.com/item=151580/deadly-deep-chemirine (Legion purple) - 11 crit
https://www.wowhead.com/item=130219/deadly-eye-of-prophecy (Legion blue) - 9 crit

So if you have gem slots, the best gems for secondary stats are the Argus purple gems. Otherwise the Legion blue are the same stats as the BfA blues, and probably a lot cheaper.

You can see the same thing with primary stat gems - both the BfA and legion ones give 9 primary stat.

I'll note that https://www.wowhead.com/item=153715/straddling-viridium doesn't stack with a number of things, so if you have speed boots already from azerite traits, racials, etc - it may not work. Since most classes have some form of minor speedboost available and longstrider is a solid azerite trait option, its probably not a good idea to take this gem.

I can confirm for Nazmir part 1 its Death-Pledged Helm/Death-Pledged Chestguard

Meaning part 2 of Nazmir is the other Chest avaliable fro mthe Deth-Pledged set

I can confirm for Nazmir part 1 its Death-Pledged Helm/Death-Pledged Chestguard

Meaning part 2 of Nazmir is the other Chest avaliable fro mthe Deth-Pledged set

Thanks a ton! That leaves Zuldazar and Drustvar mail pieces still unknown, getting close.

Also went through and hid the azerite gear under spoiler tags. Should be MUCH easier to view now.

Last edited:
Hey!
Cheers for the sick guide OP!
I have a dilema tho. Let me give u example and let me know if anyone can help with some wisdom.

I got this situation:
Drustvar1 = Chest SS Trait*
Drustvar2 = bad traits
Tirgarde1 = Shoulder IV Trait*
Tirgarde2 = bad traits
Stormsong1 = Shoulder IV Trait*
Stormsong2 = Helm SS Trait
WarCampaign = Helm SS Trait (can be filler coz it's same as SS2)
Treasures = Helm IV

*- is what I need.

Ideally would be to have:
- 3 IV (not possible coz IV chest not present)
- 2 IV & 1 SS
- 1 IV & 2 SS

There is no way to combine it this way without transfer, BUT, If I, lets say, am willing to transfer.. how do I do that, so I get some of those combos?

Like Complete Tirgarde1 & Drustvar1 & Stormsong1 to get 3 pieces + Warcampaign then transfer over to start getting new questline in Zuldazar / Nazmir / etc with 300 iLvL start or?
Coz I know when u faction change, the quests progress resets usually and generally.
Is it resetting the Azerite Pieces obtained counter too, so these won't matter, or I will start off getting 300 pieces on Horde, If I am Alliance right now, since I have completed those 4 quests with 285?

I have banged my head against the wall, but without transfer it is impossible to get 2 of the good traits, since shoulders are both in the first tier of rewards for each zone, same for Chest.
Drust1 i need for chest, Tirg1 or Storm1 for Shoulder. Helm i can get from Treasures, so np that.

Also is it worth transfering for 15 iLvL's, in your opinion?

Thank you VERY much for the help! :)

Is it resetting the Azerite Pieces obtained counter too, so these won't matter

Yes.
or I will start off getting 300 pieces on Horde, If I am Alliance right now, since I have completed those 4 quests with 285?

No.

Which trait are you looking for? Are you going to be 110-111? Because at level 117 the dungeon azerite and rare world NPC azerite drops all go up to 295, if you're going to iPvP in the 111-119 bracket. If you're dead-set on a particular trait, I don't think it's the end of the world if you can only obtain it at 280 base ilvl. If it's that good it would be better to get one wherever you can (at 110), and if it's not that good it really shouldn't matter in the long run if you settle for something else and 15 ilvls…

edit- as for transferring, I have yet to see a trait perform well enough in PvP to warrant such lengths, and anything that should be that good gets nerfed to nothing anyway. If you're just doing PvE and IE runs, I guess it could be worth it... if you feel it is.
[doublepost=1542337376,1542334861][/doublepost]
That leaves Zuldazar and Drustvar mail pieces still unknown, getting close.
Hey, sorry... I thought the whole thing was done already. I have a hunter at 2/7 zulduzar, ill find out the first quest this weekend.

Hey!
Cheers for the sick guide OP!
I have a dilema tho. Let me give u example and let me know if anyone can help with some wisdom.

I got this situation:
Drustvar1 = Chest SS Trait*
Drustvar2 = bad traits
Tirgarde1 = Shoulder IV Trait*
Tirgarde2 = bad traits
Stormsong1 = Shoulder IV Trait*
Stormsong2 = Helm SS Trait
WarCampaign = Helm SS Trait (can be filler coz it's same as SS2)
Treasures = Helm IV

*- is what I need.

Ideally would be to have:
- 3 IV (not possible coz IV chest not present)
- 2 IV & 1 SS
- 1 IV & 2 SS

There is no way to combine it this way without transfer, BUT, If I, lets say, am willing to transfer.. how do I do that, so I get some of those combos?

Like Complete Tirgarde1 & Drustvar1 & Stormsong1 to get 3 pieces + Warcampaign then transfer over to start getting new questline in Zuldazar / Nazmir / etc with 300 iLvL start or?
Coz I know when u faction change, the quests progress resets usually and generally.
Is it resetting the Azerite Pieces obtained counter too, so these won't matter, or I will start off getting 300 pieces on Horde, If I am Alliance right now, since I have completed those 4 quests with 285?

I have banged my head against the wall, but without transfer it is impossible to get 2 of the good traits, since shoulders are both in the first tier of rewards for each zone, same for Chest.
Drust1 i need for chest, Tirg1 or Storm1 for Shoulder. Helm i can get from Treasures, so np that.

Also is it worth transfering for 15 iLvL's, in your opinion?

Thank you VERY much for the help! :)

Yeah, sometimes its impossible to get the "ideal" setup with transferring. Its hard to tell without knowing your class/spec/traits.

• Your sea scroll quest gives helm with IV, right? So thats a free option.
  • Does the warcampaign chest/shoulders give anything?
As warglave said, swapping only gets you 3 more 295 pieces. Whether or not its worth paying to transfer (twice) is up to you. You'll do just fine with a 285 piece in pvp and islands. It also may be worth waiting til 8.1 to figure it out - I know mine are likely changing.

You'll do just fine with a 285 piece in pvp and islands.

I would personally just grab one of the IV from TS1 or SS1 and use that to test out your trait stacking, you have to do those anyway. Might be that you wanna re-plan the whole shebang if it doesn't work out at 285... it wont be much different at 300. If you love it, faction swap for the extra 15 ilvl.

Freehold and shrine of he storm drop SS helm and shoulders, you can farm those and try stacking them first. Not sure its gonna do what you are hoping it will do...
[doublepost=1542344019,1542342871][/doublepost]edit- OK Umren... out of sheer coincidence, I have a pally at 110 with 1 SS and 2 IV all 285 pieces. Is there something you'd like to know or have me check out about the setup? He has the leggo prot legs too, in case that's your plan.
[doublepost=1542346021][/doublepost]Ok.

So I ran an IE and I wasn't impressed... but im not a prot pally guy, so it could just be me.

I sit at 1692 STR normally, and proccing IV bumped me up to 2006 STR so the IV STR trait stacks. Im sure the 20% reset doesn't.

With my legendary legs, Im pretty certain I was able to hit more than 4 targets with avenger's shield, but SS seemed to cap out at 4 stacks. 4 stacks took me from 37.56% mastery to 45.39% but im not anywhere near optimized, that's just blues from killing BFA rares and better leftovers from legion itself on that guy, besides the 2 leggos (prot pants and burning wish trinket).

Hope any of that helps.

edit2- oops, I also had Crusaders Judgement talented instead of First Avenger. Didn't fiddle with those.

Last edited:
Yeah, sometimes its impossible to get the "ideal" setup with transferring. Its hard to tell without knowing your class/spec/traits.

• Your sea scroll quest gives helm with IV, right? So thats a free option.
Yep.
  • Does the warcampaign chest/shoulders give anything?
Only Head is useful. It gives SS. But I get IV head from the Treasures at 300 anyway, so this is more like gap closer on those 4 pieces.

Now to answer the question:
I go for protection paladin, 110 lvl, and the traits are:
- SS - Soaring Shield - 58mastery/target hit with Avenger Shield + it hits 4 enemies instead of 3 (1 extra) - It doesn't stack the target count it does the mastery tho.
- IV - Inspiring Vanguard - 20% chance more on proc Avenger Shield + 181 strenght / stack - Again % doesn't, but strength does stack.
- IL - Inner Light - When Shield of Righteous expires, gain 594 block (no idea what % this is, nor how it works), and deal 238 Holy Damage to all attackers for 4 seconds. (no idea if this is like dot, or it radiates dmg over the duration, or it does it all like burst after 4 seconds)

My idea is to stack either IV or SS, because IV as paladin gives u nice dmg boost, since I am prot, and out of Bloodmallet, IV is best for AOE scenario.
SS is second best, considering u hit 3+ targets. In my case, using the legendary (increases target to +2) and the trait (increases +1), so essentially gives 6 targets total.
With SS (20% on AS proc), and the First Avenger talent (increases chance for AS proc by 10% + 50% dmg on the primary target), the resets of the avenger will be extreme and it hits 6 targes. So u can just spam 24/7 AS.
SS provides 58 mastery/target, if there is no cap, 6x58 is about 19.75% mastery. It is very crazy number to keep it up all the time almost during combat. It gives dmg reduction while u stay in Concecration by like 9-10%+, chance to block melee by 19.75% and increases attack power by 19.75% only because of 1 trait, that is if there is no stack cap, on how many targets u can stack it.

Now I have couple questions (related and non-related).
- Anyone having idea how does Block Value works? tried to google, found some blue posts about interaction between block value, and armor, etc etc. But I couldn't find specific numbers like % per unit of Block Value, or something. So I can't calculate if IL as a trait would be good substitute.
- There is another substitute trait that can be potentially fitted, that is BoL (it does 4200 dmg absorb shield every time u use Avenger). So if you use SS + IV + BoL, you can litteraly spam AS and keep the absorb almost 24/7 on u. But is it worth to go for more shields as Prot Paladin?
- IL is another substitute (not very optimal until I know the numbers of Block and whether that 238 Holy Dmg is enuff of taking a place of 285 SS or IV.

I do understand that 285, won't hurt as much, but I am all about maximizing all that u can. So if transfer is an option, to just go Horde and not go back to Alliance for example, how do I do et?
Usually I see general answers like "You can get 3 extra pieces", or "Yeah without transfer you can't sometimes optimize optimally", or "Yeah if you want those traits, better transfer"... but HOW? how does the transfer interaction with the quests and stuff works?
Anyone care to fill me in, pretty please? :)

Thank you btw OP for answering, means a lot.
[doublepost=1542367126,1542366624][/doublepost]

I would personally just grab one of the IV from TS1 or SS1 and use that to test out your trait stacking, you have to do those anyway. Might be that you wanna re-plan the whole shebang if it doesn't work out at 285... it wont be much different at 300. If you love it, faction swap for the extra 15 ilvl.
This makes sense. I might even do that today on stream. Will let u know how it works.

Freehold and shrine of he storm drop SS helm and shoulders, you can farm those and try stacking them first. Not sure its gonna do what you are hoping it will do...
That is another SICK idea :D Will farm up some dungeons + the quest from TS1. Lets see.

edit- OK Umren... out of sheer coincidence, I have a pally at 110 with 1 SS and 2 IV all 285 pieces. Is there something you'd like to know or have me check out about the setup? He has the leggo prot legs too, in case that's your plan.
Can I steal ur discord somehow? Or you can just join on discord.gg/umrentv, and hit me up with a message. I would like to further test with your help if possible. I wanna give it a shot to tanks, DH's are becoming boring and if they are getting over-used, we'll just get them nerfed, by the consequence of community cry-out :D

With my legendary legs, Im pretty certain I was able to hit more than 4 targets with avenger's shield, but SS seemed to cap out at 4 stacks. 4 stacks took me from 37.56% mastery to 45.39% but im not anywhere near optimized, that's just blues from killing BFA rares and better leftovers from legion itself on that guy, besides the 2 leggos (prot pants and burning wish trinket).
This. Are you sure, or you think? It makes very HUGE difference in the idea that I've had in my head. I am working on getting SS azerite without questing, but so far no luck. I am working on it tho.

Thanks again Warglaive as well for the help!
Cheers!

Im pretty sure on the SS 4 cap, but it was hard to count the number of bounces. I'll do another tonight and verify.

He has the shoulders from the first quest with magni after you get the neck and they have IV. Pauldrons of the Champion.
https://www.wowhead.com/item=160914/pauldrons-of-the-champion

And theres a rare spawn ettin in Stormsong called Haegol the Hammer that drops an azerite chest with IV on it too.
https://www.wowhead.com/item=154273/rockstopper-breastplate

And of course the scrolls helm, which will always be 295 base.
https://www.wowhead.com/item=163865/bartered-vrykul-warhelm

If you haven't started yet, you can get 3 IV that way with no dungeons or questing beyond the scrolls helm. Mine has the helm from Shrine with SS trait, I must have ran that at some point. Its just a fun toon I was running as Ret thru legion and early BfA too.

As far as Inner Light goes, Theres a rare in TS that drops a helm with that. Shellbreaker Warhelm.
https://www.wowhead.com/npc=139290/maison-the-portable

Im assuming you already started, so the shoulders will be an issue. The ones from Shrine have SS, I didn't see anything else readily available with traits mentioned here. It literally might be easier to quest up to T1 or SS1 for those shoulders, and drust 1 for that chest. The shoulders have IV and the chest has SS. Don't do any that you might want as 295 rewards tho!

Ill get back to you about the SS stacks, sorry but I cant offer a schedule that will likely work for your stream. But ill try to get you any information you need... hopefully someone more helpful can get together with you too.
[doublepost=1542374162,1542372730][/doublepost]Ok, can confirm 100% that SS maxes at 4 stacks. Rounded up some trash and hit 7 targets, only got 4 stacks. Repeatedly.

ALSO- just want to reiterate that if you even might go to 119 for iPvP, at level 117 these rare spawns will then drop 295 azerite gear, not 280 (just azerite tho… regular items/weapons only go up to ilvl 273). So killing them now means you cant get those pieces at 295 later.
[doublepost=1542376599][/doublepost]
That leaves Zuldazar and Drustvar mail pieces still unknown, getting close.

Zuldazar 1 quest is The Prophet's Ploy and the rewards are https://www.wowhead.com/item=155252/torcalin-coif and https://www.wowhead.com/item=155262/torcalin-spaulders

Sorry, I didn't know there was still unknowns.

Users who are viewing this thread