Yeah, sometimes its impossible to get the "ideal" setup with transferring. Its hard to tell without knowing your class/spec/traits.
- Your sea scroll quest gives helm with IV, right? So thats a free option.
- Does the warcampaign chest/shoulders give anything?
Only Head is useful. It gives SS. But I get IV head from the Treasures at 300 anyway, so this is more like gap closer on those 4 pieces.
Now to answer the question:
I go for protection paladin, 110 lvl, and the traits are:
- SS - Soaring Shield - 58mastery/target hit with Avenger Shield + it hits 4 enemies instead of 3 (1 extra) - It doesn't stack the target count it does the mastery tho.
- IV - Inspiring Vanguard - 20% chance more on proc Avenger Shield + 181 strenght / stack - Again % doesn't, but strength does stack.
- IL - Inner Light - When Shield of Righteous expires, gain 594 block (no idea what % this is, nor how it works), and deal 238 Holy Damage to all attackers for 4 seconds. (no idea if this is like dot, or it radiates dmg over the duration, or it does it all like burst after 4 seconds)
My idea is to stack either IV or SS, because IV as paladin gives u nice dmg boost, since I am prot, and out of Bloodmallet, IV is best for AOE scenario.
SS is second best, considering u hit 3+ targets. In my case, using the legendary (increases target to +2) and the trait (increases +1), so essentially gives 6 targets total.
With SS (20% on AS proc), and the First Avenger talent (increases chance for AS proc by 10% + 50% dmg on the primary target), the resets of the avenger will be extreme and it hits 6 targes. So u can just spam 24/7 AS.
SS provides 58 mastery/target, if there is no cap, 6x58 is about 19.75% mastery. It is very crazy number to keep it up all the time almost during combat. It gives dmg reduction while u stay in Concecration by like 9-10%+, chance to block melee by 19.75% and increases attack power by 19.75% only because of 1 trait, that is if there is no stack cap, on how many targets u can stack it.
Now I have couple questions (related and non-related).
- Anyone having idea how does Block Value works? tried to google, found some blue posts about interaction between block value, and armor, etc etc. But I couldn't find specific numbers like % per unit of Block Value, or something. So I can't calculate if IL as a trait would be good substitute.
- There is another substitute trait that can be potentially fitted, that is BoL (it does 4200 dmg absorb shield every time u use Avenger). So if you use SS + IV + BoL, you can litteraly spam AS and keep the absorb almost 24/7 on u. But is it worth to go for more shields as Prot Paladin?
- IL is another substitute (not very optimal until I know the numbers of Block and whether that 238 Holy Dmg is enuff of taking a place of 285 SS or IV.
I do understand that 285, won't hurt as much, but I am all about maximizing all that u can. So if transfer is an option, to just go Horde and not go back to Alliance for example, how do I do et?
Usually I see general answers like "You can get 3 extra pieces", or "Yeah without transfer you can't sometimes optimize optimally", or "Yeah if you want those traits, better transfer"... but HOW? how does the transfer interaction with the quests and stuff works?
Anyone care to fill me in, pretty please?
Thank you btw OP for answering, means a lot.
I would personally just grab one of the IV from TS1 or SS1 and use that to test out your trait stacking, you have to do those anyway. Might be that you wanna re-plan the whole shebang if it doesn't work out at 285... it wont be much different at 300. If you love it, faction swap for the extra 15 ilvl.
This makes sense. I might even do that today on stream. Will let u know how it works.
Freehold and shrine of he storm drop SS helm and shoulders, you can farm those and try stacking them first. Not sure its gonna do what you are hoping it will do...
That is another SICK idea
Will farm up some dungeons + the quest from TS1. Lets see.
edit- OK Umren... out of sheer coincidence, I have a pally at 110 with 1 SS and 2 IV all 285 pieces. Is there something you'd like to know or have me check out about the setup? He has the leggo prot legs too, in case that's your plan.
Can I steal ur discord somehow? Or you can just join on discord.gg/umrentv, and hit me up with a message. I would like to further test with your help if possible. I wanna give it a shot to tanks, DH's are becoming boring and if they are getting over-used, we'll just get them nerfed, by the consequence of community cry-out
With my legendary legs, Im pretty certain I was able to hit more than 4 targets with avenger's shield, but SS seemed to cap out at 4 stacks. 4 stacks took me from 37.56% mastery to 45.39% but im not anywhere near optimized, that's just blues from killing BFA rares and better leftovers from legion itself on that guy, besides the 2 leggos (prot pants and burning wish trinket).
This. Are you sure, or you think? It makes very HUGE difference in the idea that I've had in my head. I am working on getting SS azerite without questing, but so far no luck. I am working on it tho.
Thanks again Warglaive as well for the help!