Shadowforge Bushmaster vs Bow of Searing Arrows

Damn dude, I gotta say nice work on the testing. I'm not clear on why you have another button with just the bow equip macro and also have it in the last line of the scatter macro?

Damn dude, I gotta say nice work on the testing. I'm not clear on why you have another button with just the bow equip macro and also have it in the last line of the scatter macro?

It's more of just a safety net. Like if I spam the original scatter shot button more than I need and it switches back to BoSA first, than that's technically better, but either way I'd run the mouse wheel macro out of habit to make sure i re-equip it

Like if you feel paranoid into accidently not re-equiping, you could add that re-equip BoSA to all your attack spells just to make sure lol
[doublepost=1575234834,1575234592][/doublepost]Okay, now here is a big question. What if you run TWO BoSA's on you and you run the macro changing between the two bows every time you scatter. Will doing that still avoid the proc? If so, then that would be the best!

I've tested this with two lvl 10 bows of the same name. It'll switch between them. Doing that will net you 0.0 seconds loss on the GCD.

Update: I ended up buying another BoSA for 100g for science. Switching between the two BoSA STILL causes the proc to go off. So there goes that, ugh.

But switching between a different bow and back to BoSA does work. I am using Mouse Wheel Down to cast Scatter/change bow and Mouse Wheel Up to switch back to BoSA. It's basically an near instant change and works really well.

Last edited:
Prior to patch 1.8, the weapon damage used for instant attacks was:

damage = base_weapon_damage + (weapon_speed * Attack Power / 14)

Link

So the gun does have a bit more damage on it in the end with weapon normalization, not going to argue that after seeing the evidence. But on a troll hunter i would think that the +bow skill, along with the proc, would make it about even. Would need to know how much crit 5 weapon skill would give on a level 39.

So I'm a bit confused. Say that the bow doesn't break scatter at all with the method I figured out. What would be the overall BiS when taking the factor of the proc damage?
[doublepost=1575243153,1575242728][/doublepost]I'm not claiming to know much when it comes to the base math of all this, but that sounds absurdly different in strength. Post deleted?

So with 200 attack power, the average base damage of each would be:

B̶O̶S̶A̶:̶ ̶7̶9̶.̶5̶7̶ ̶
S̶F̶B̶:̶ ̶8̶1̶.̶4̶2̶
See update

[doublepost=1575245186,1575243828][/doublepost]Turns out, that weapon normalization IS in game and the updated formula is

normalized_damage = base_weapon_damage + (X * Attack Power / 14)

where X is:

• 1.7 for daggers
  • 2.4 for other one-handed weapons
  • 3.3 for two-handed weapons
  • 2.8 for ranged weapons
  • weapon speed for non-normalized attacks (see below)

Making BOSA better at instant attacks.

Last edited:
I can't find where I read it, but iirc it's the same price chance as fiery, 6ppm. That would add about 2 dps.
[doublepost=1575245367,1575245194][/doublepost]Bosa is going to have a slightly better instant attack damage due to normalization and Bushmaster is going to have higher white hits due to weapon speed.

Weapon speed 100% affects white damage.

Every 1 point of dps adds 2.9 damage per auto to bushmaster and 2.7 damage per auto to bosa.

Bushmaster will have higher white hits than bosa due to weapon speed. Bosa will still have better dps.

No it doesn't. In Patch 1.12, it was removed. Weapon speed doesn't affect weapon damage. We are in V1.12 mechanic wise, just not content wise.

So a 1 dps 1.0 sword is going to hit for exactly the same as a 1 dps 4.0 sword?

I'm saying that slower weapons are going to have a higher average damage per auto than a fast one. That has nothing to do with normalization / dps...

I don't know what to tell you. Slower weapon speed doesn't affect the weapon damage. It was patched in V1.12 and that's the version we are in. Enough said.

So a 1 dps 1.0 sword is going to hit for exactly the same as a 1 dps 4.0 sword?

I'm saying that slower weapons are going to have a higher average damage per auto than a fast one. That has nothing to do with normalization / dps...

You are looking at this the opposite way. a 10 damage sword with 1.0 attack speed will hit the same as a 10 damage sword with 4.0 attack speed. Just different frequency obviously.

I stated earlier that the link between a slow weapon and higher top end does not always hold true, Just happens to be the case a lot of the time, just not this time.

I am not arguing about weapon dps...

A 1dps 1.0 sword will hit for 1
A 1dps 4.0 sword will hit for 4

The 4.0 sword has higher white hits.

A slower weapon will have higher average white hits. That was the only point I was trying to make. I'm not saying that it does more dps.

The bushmaster will have higher average damage per auto than bosa after like 400ap. Bosa will still trump it in damage done / dps.

Lol no. Do you see the damage variable of each weapon? The BoSA has HIGHER ceiling and higher floor of damage hit. You may be true if bush was slower but hit harder, that isn't the case. It is slower and hits for less. Ugh.

Actually you are still thinking about it being not normalized. Just look at the numbers on the damage range, thats LITERALLY what you get For instant attacks.

BOSA
SFB

*redacted*

Last edited:
The normalized weapon damage for instant attacks is:

normalized_damage = base_weapon_damage + (X * Attack Power / 14)
where X is:

1.7 for daggers
2.4 for other one-handed weapons
3.3 for two-handed weapons
2.8 for ranged weapons

Note that ...
base_weapon_damage + weapon_speed * Attack Power / 14
is simply the formula for weapon (white) hit damage, as 14 AP = 1 DPS.

Autos aren't normalized. That makes no sense.

Yeah i was going more on the side of instant attacks. In terms of just flat auto attacking the weapons are close.

Thank you for making that more clear

So what weapon would you say would kill someone faster? No matter top end and such. What is better?

Edit: I get what you're saying though, if it was based with the same coifficent, faster weapons would absolutely be better. But due to instants being the same, bow should deal overall more damage, correct?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread