How's the bracket, being months in?

Discussion in '20s (Shadowlands)' started by Resto, Apr 21, 2021.

Share This Page

1. Counsel

Counsel Member

Solo queue on my part, Walder was caught on the unfortunate end of this one. no strategy, we didn't even guard nodes, just aped in until we had everyone at GY. boooooring

• Like Like x 1
  2. BANKONE

BANKONE Member

I’m sure that BG will end up on Renamed “skill” highlight reel on YouTube lmao.

• Funny Funny x 4
  3. glancealot

glancealot Member

So i solo queued into an AB with a pug horde team against an ally small premade of 2 r1 gladiators (1 deadly and 1 warmongering) + a third one with 2400+ experience.

they just couldn't kill me at mines, when they finally killed me, i corpse ran over to defend the node successfully.

they ended up afking out when the score was tied.

how can a bracket be bad when games like that happen?

edit: someone wanted proof, here it is, of course the chart ended up looking one-sided because the glads left.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Lateraldrop

Lateraldrop Veteran

Not picking up corpses is just a mistake. 1 example of you taking advantage of poor play does not change the state if the bracket.

5. glancealot

glancealot Member

they also came back to kill me again, this time, i lead them away from the node all the way to stables, after they finally managed to kill me (while assaulting the node in the process), a leveling DK defended the node.

they left right as that happened.

6. Billyballo

Billyballo Legend

What are you even talking about?
    What kind of comparison is this?
    Are you trolling comparing us to pro and payed players in official games? Or does it actually makes sense in your mind?

Have you ever did any friendly team sport?
    Given the pain to manage to get 10 people on the field, you bet your hunter that you are going to try to make the teams as close as possibile, and you'll see player swaps while the game is going on if there is a clear imbalance.

7. Lateraldrop

Lateraldrop Veteran

My point is that poor play does not make a bracket good. I know your style is predicate on people making poor choices but I dont think that makes the state of.the bracket good. Also idc what rating some fool has if the are chasing glance up to their own gy and not picking up bodies, they playing poorly

8. Chops

Chops Soccer Dad Moderator

You know the brackets in a good place when the only person having any fun in pugs is the guy who built a toon specifically to take advantage of how bad of a place the bracket is in.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. OP
    Resto

Resto Video Developer

Once I’m done attempting to gear this toon, I’m about to spend a month playing like I used to back in the day.... Well attempt a month. We’ll see if I can get any content worthy games. See if it’s as bad as everyone’s claiming it to be. If so, war games. We’ll see how good of quality these war games will be. That’ll be my final review and whether not I gear more twinks :monkaLaugh:

10. fungchewuchi

fungchewuchi Legend

[​IMG]
    had a fun nailbiter, with both teams making great plays all over the map, both nabbing and returning flags right as they're about to be capped. as with any xpac, i tend to find the more interesting games in off hours.

• Like Like x 2
  11. accel

accel Member

What's friendly about obliterating levelers?

The levels of hypocrisy are through the roof.

Somehow, when a twink is on the winning side, it's all great, he's having "fun" and others should man up and not complain about him being overpowered. That's how the game works and all that. But when the same twink is on the losing side, "it's a waste of time to fight, I'll just afk" and then there are floods of tears regarding premades which the afking twink "cba" doing or whatever and bizarre suggestions of twinking being supposedly a friendly team sport (what?).

The entire exchange in this thread of how it's fine to afk because "mooooom, they have a preeeeeemade, what can I even dooooooo" is laughable. Not addressing you personally, just in general: afk away, just don't expect any respect, chicken. That's how the game works. You exit a bg due to supposedly overwhelming odds or you decide to stay afk, you are a chicken, nobody wants you on their team (because who knows when you are going to decide that "it's lost, I am clearly great, everyone else is a moron, I don't deserve to lose with them" and exit, some idiots do this mid-match) and you are going to be the butt of many jokes, in chat, on streams and elsewhere. You'll have to deal with it.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  12. Kracks

Kracks Grandfathered

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Surprised Surprised x 2
  13. Billyballo

Billyballo Legend

Given that you didn't understand anything about my previous post addressed to you, you completely missed the point of this post, and you followed up repeating yourself with an answer that is totally out of the topic, i'll try to make it extremely clear. If you still don't understand, it's going to be quite clear that you are simply following a narrative you made in your head and there is nothing to do about it.

About stomping the opposition.
    It's not good when you are doing it and bad when you are receiving it. I tried to explain this to you in my previus post, saying exacly this: YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO UNDERSTAND WHEN A GAME IS GOING TO BE A STOMP, AND RESPEC (RESPEC, NOT AFK WINNING GAMES) TO A LESS POWERFUL SPEC (LIKE ARCANE MAGE TO FIRE MAGE) AND TELL OTHERS IN YOUR TEAM TO DO IT TOO SO YOU DON'T OPPRESS THE OPPOSITE TEAM.
    This is what you do in a "friendly" sport environement, you try your best to balance the teams and made sure every1 wants to play again. In a 5v5 soccer match you can build teams in the beginning and swap players on the go if you really screw up, here you can't swap players, but you can swap specs, talent, or play with worst gear. When my friends where still playing we would do stupid shit like using grey/white weapons (behold my billy club)

14. fungchewuchi

fungchewuchi Legend

i completely disagree with swapping to less powerful specs and using white weapons.
    the right way is to throw out umbrellas picnic baskets and start /dance parties with the enemy team.

• Like Like x 5
  15. accel

accel Member

COOL, WAKE ME UP WHEN SOMEONE DOES IT.

You are talking about some fairy world.

To recap:

Some twinks are leaving games because "mom, they (the enemy) have a premade".
    I am calling them chicken for doing that.
    You tell me that I am wrong because everyone *on the stronger side* should understand when a game is going to be a stomp and respec or whatever.

Top logic.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 26, 2021, Original Post Date: Apr 26, 2021 ---
    Anecdotally, the most I've seen of this fairy tale world of yours where people gimp themselves in order to have closer matches, was a healer twink telling in a premade: please don't use drums unless the other side does it first, let's be respectful. This same healer twink threw a fit the moment we lost one game (to another premade, by a tiny amount of points), called everyone noobs, said he gives "this group" one last chance and if the group does not live to his high standards (of whatever, it was not very clear what he wanted apart from winning), picked a fight with a different guy and left, filling the chat of two communities with multiple lines of flame. So, yeah, I am kind of sceptical of all these mannerisms like "let's not use drums, let's respec, let's behave".

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. glancealot

glancealot Member

ya, well played.

after every loss, i reflect on what i could have done to help my team win instead:

the result might have been closer or even changed if i

1, played with the mentality of the underdog right as the gate opened. i somehow assumed we would win that one easily, boy was i wrong, that was a very objective alliance team. By the time i realized the game was slipping away from me, alliance already had a solid hold on 3 nodes and someone like you on the opponent team could have just counteracted whatever i do for a smooth sailing to victory.

2, played with a little more focus. it was getting late and I was starting to lose my concentration. i didn't realize alliance had kracks until too late. (was viewing tictok clips before the gate opened)

3, put on a slightly more int heavy set (if i had one) and followed either thunderfang or pewhefner around as a healbot. it is one of those weird games where i could do very little on my own as none of the alliance players got kited away from objectives at all.

4, told pinchme to do his own thing. he followed me around (as a friend) but us being together had negative synergy. told instakill to do more sap-n-cap. in general, gave more instructions in /i chat as horde lacked leadership

5, at some point we had 4 nodes, i could have chugged a living action potion to remove the stun and LoH'd in time to defend a node a little longer, that would have given us considerably more points. but i don't think i am at the point where i start using free action or living action left and right yet. (i wanna start doing that after i hit a plateau)

6, i just started to bind noggenfogger to most of my abilities. After i got punted off LM, i could have cancelled the slow fall buff when i was above BS to help defend BS, but i was too slow and i flew almost to mine. by the time i mounted up and came back to BS, it was too late. I will add /cancelaura slowfall to my dropflag macro.

I don't mind losses as i can learn from them and improve.

just stop playing objectively and put on freezing bands and greenwhelp armor (if you don't use it as part of your core set) after securing a win (holding 3 nodes in AB, leading 2-0 in WSG, etc)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  17. fungchewuchi

fungchewuchi Legend

18. Hardc0re

Hardc0re Legend

If I face a premade that's about to stomp me I'd rather have them try to win the game as fast as possible so no one is losing time or getting the afk debuff.

So, in short: Always play to win

• Like Like x 2
  19. Billyballo

Billyballo Legend

I think that "playing not to oppress" is compatible with "playing to win":
    7 twinks 3 levelers on one side, 1 twink (you) 3 f2p with bg blues 6 levelers on other side.
    3 options:

A- the 7 twinks use pandaria ilvl 28 vendor gear with no chants, no engi and no alch. Bg weapon or white weapon based on the leveler classes;

B- the 7 twinks use standard gear, but UP specs. Dunno how much you guys tried, but fire mage still does loads of dps, same as survival hunter with only ranged (melee swap for harpoon is ok for gap close on efcs), same demo lock;

C- they play with standard spec and roll over you, make the f2ps and levelers feel oppressed, make them not queue again, make queues longer (you now have a bracket with no f2ps and no levelers, given all the complaint I'm quite sure it's dead).

What I think is missing from you argument are the fixed times of bgs, since you don't wint at the 100 kill, but when objects are done.
    3/6 min queue
    2 min to start
    4-7 min for objectives to finish (I didn't time anything, going from memory, 3 and 5 bases ones may be faster, azerite one and cart one may be even slower).

the B option, the one I normally go for when I solo and my team is clearly much better than the opponent, won't take that much longer to win in comparison to C, given this fixed times, but it will not make levelers feel oppressed (or quoting a few of them, violated), and could get you (twink in the worst team) some space to make some plays and feel like you can still do something.

Option A, with the 7 twinks that modulated their gear to match the opponent team as the game goes and they understand what they are up against is clearly a dream, but it's the one I would prefer most clearly.

I would like to know, which one of these 3 options would you prefer? Would it still be C? Would you really prefer to stay at the boat, base or gy and having wasted from 9 to 15 minutes than having a challenging bg (option A)? Do you really think that the few minutes more B would take to win (2, 3 max I think) are not really worth for the overall health of the bracket? It's ok to waste 6- 9 minutes (comparing to afking out at the start and queueing on a different char) but 2-3 min are not ok?

I think it's wrong to think about this only from our point of view and not consider the overall bracket.
    Actions have consequences, overfishing as a concempt is very much real and applicable in many different areas.

20. accel

accel Member

^^ It doesn't matter what someone prefers in an ideal world. We play in the same region (EU), a quick illustration of what is going on currently, de-facto:

1. Logged in, queued solo. Lost 2 games to different premades.
    2. Got into a premade myself. Won 5, lost 3. All losses and 2 wins were vs premades.
    3. Logged off.

This all was yesterday.

So, there were 10 games and 7 of those were vs premades, once vs two 5-mans. All geared twinks, none of the ungeared A kind. Not a bad evening, overall, but only for someone who is a geared twink themselves, and the winrate is not disastrous only due to queueing as a premade as well.

(Yes, I get it, you are saying that the stronger side should have been gimping themselves a little to make it closer. Ie, if the first 2 games were close, maybe I wouldn't have gone into a premade myself, increasing the imbalances. My point is: this won't ever happen for multiple reasons with one of them being that everyone has been farmed multiple times, so "the other side started it" and its just retaliation, etc.)
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 27, 2021, Original Post Date: Apr 27, 2021 ---
    The real way to have games be close and enjoyable is Blizzard scaling everyone to the same or close ilvl in bgs, and balancing specs better. The latter is a pipe dream, the former some people don't like (I am all for it, WoD gear on max level was the best thing we ever had in PVP).

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 176)

1. Resto
  2. Chops
  3. Hennelorix
  4. Loveto
  5. Lateraldrop
  6. Conzil
  7. fungchewuchi
  8. Anduin
  9. Scholarly
  10. toskosa
  11. Olama
  12. Pexela