Guild Wars 2

I'll def be checking this out.

MOP is going to be a disaster. Between kung-fu panda bear, dumbing down the skill tree's, how the new loot system works, etc. The only thing they need to add is unicorn mounts, rainbows over Orgrimmar, and collecting hearts.

That's WoW right now, too lol. No need for MoP.

As someone who's never touched Guild Wars, and for anyone else reading this in the same boat, can someone give a run down on the how the game works compared to WoW? I checked out the GW2 website and Youtube, but I think some first hand insight would go the extra distance.

Read Yasueh's two earlier posts in this thread [post=514049][1[/post] , [post=514092]2][/post]. Watch the video that is now linked in the original post. I've played all the betas, GW2 is better than WoW in every conceivable way. The only exception to this would be WoW's pre-nerf raiding content, which affects less than 1.2% of the player base. [mmochampion datamined raid completion article-can't find the link]

If that still doesn't help consider this:
$70 gives you 2 months of MoP
$60 gives you infinite months of Guild Wars 2

GW2 looks like a lot of fun!!! i hope everyone has a blast.

(Hu)ever i won't be joining you guys since my computer can barely handle wow xD

You can definitely find GW2 for cheaper than $60 now if you look around

Greenmangaming was selling the digital edition with a coupon code bringing it down to $48~ I think, offer expires at the end of the month

Guild Wars 2 $47.96 - OzBargain

I managed to get it for $45 from another website but that offer expired

GW2 looks like a lot of fun!!! i hope everyone has a blast.

(Hu)ever i won't be joining you guys since my computer can barely handle wow xD

I'm in the same boat as you (Heeyarrgh!), my crappy mac can't swing it. This is a major bummer because I played the original Guild Wars for quite a while, and was really looking forward to playing at launch. I wish the best of luck to you all while I save up and look for a better job, so I can get a new comp. And then you better watch your asses!

One thing I can say about ArenaNet, is that they never stopped trying to keep the game balanced -- not that they always succeeded, but at least they put out regular updates to balance PvP -- unlike some developers.

One thing I can say about ArenaNet, is that they never stopped trying to keep the game balanced -- not that they always succeeded, but at least they put out regular updates to balance PvP -- unlike some developers.

Sometimes I come across as being excessively condescending towards Blizzard's developers. There's a reason for this. I play a lot of games besides WoW, with which to compare it. For example:

WoW's last patch date:

Patch 4.3.4 - 10 April 2012

Patches applied to EVE Online since that date (from the end of build 355549 to present):

Inferno 1.1.9 - July 11, 2012
Inferno 1.1.8 - July 9, 2012
Inferno 1.1.7 - July 5, 2012
Inferno 1.1.6 - July 4, 2012
Inferno 1.1.5 - June 29, 2012
Inferno 1.1.3 - June 28, 2012
Inferno 1.1.2 - June 27, 2012
Inferno 1.1.1 - June 26, 2012
Inferno 1.1 - June 25, 2012
Inferno 1.0.10 - June 8, 2012
Inferno 1.0.9 - June 7, 2012
Inferno 1.0.8 - June 5, 2012
Inferno 1.0.7 - June 4, 2012
Inferno 1.0.6 Client Update #1 - June 1, 2012
Inferno 1.0.6 - June 1, 2012
Inferno 1.0.5 - May 31, 2012
Inferno 1.0.4 - May 30, 2012
Inferno 1.0.3 - May 29, 2012
Inferno 1.0.2 - May 24, 2012
Inferno 1.0.1 - May 23, 2012
Inferno - May 22, 2012
Escalation to Inferno 1.0.3 - May 2, 2012
Escalation to Inferno 1.0.2 - April 26, 2012
EVE Online Launcher 1.312 - April 26, 2012
Escalation to Inferno 1.0.1 - April 25, 2012
Escalation to Inferno - April 24, 2012
Crucible 1.6.5 - April 12, 2012

Inferno and Crucible are expansions (which happen to be free in EVE). Inferno 1.2 is due August 8, and will include major rebalancing of several ships, including rookie ships (the first ship a player gets to fly) and the first level of tech 1 frigates (that are usually the 2nd ship that they fly). The 2nd level of t1 frigates has already been re-balanced in a previous recent patch.

Compare that to Blizzard, and it speaks volumes about their standard of development.

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone's looking to upgrade:

GW2 Minimum System Requirements
  • Intel® Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, Core i3 OR AMD Athlon 64 X2, or better
  • 2 GB RAM
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® 7800, ATI X1800, Intel HD 3000, or better (256 MB of video RAM and shader model 3.0 or better)
  • 25 GB available HDD space

Assuming you need to upgrade the CPU from something like a Pentium 4 (and hence motherboard and RAM too) you could upgrade to:

• Intel Core i3-2100 3.10GHz Processor - £79.99
  • Gigabyte Z77-DS3H Motherboard - £63.32
  • Kingston HyperX Genesis Grey 4GB (2x2GB) RAM - £19.99
  • Arctic Cooling Alpine 11 GT Rev.2 CPU Cooler - £4.16

£167.46 / $263.72 / €214.04

That would give you a foundation that could be upgraded further, without having to replace everything at once. Pentium 4 era power supplies should have the same connectors, so wouldn't need replacing. You might need a hard drive though if your old one is ATA instead of SATA. You could either go for a PCI card that allows you to use the old drive, which can be had for peanuts, or upgrade to a newer HDD, which should improve performance significantly over an old ATA drive (basic 250GB SATA drive is ~ £40/$63/€51).

If you just need a graphics card, the cheapest thing that's reasonable for gaming is:

• MSI HD 6450 1024MB PCI-Express Graphics Card - £26.66

£26.66 / $41.99/ €34.07

If you can afford something better use hwcompare.com to see what gives the best performance per £/$/€

thinking about choosing...
Too many things in RL, I hope I'll find time for this project because my old guild is also playing this game. So need conquer the world . Eh, sleepless nights again? ಠ_ಠ
Will play on Blacktide.
First that l'll try will be Asura Engineer. I want to play a tinkerer, so I think Asura best race for that and I love their dance moves. ;)

P.S.
Chaos will take over Tyria soon!!! MUAHAHAHAHA!!!! ^_^

What realm is everyone playing? possibly playing and would ike to roll with people i know :) (well not rlly know but know r good players) (uknow cuz ill be trash and noob and asking questions and i dont want ppl to rage at me)

Lil is sorta right. Hyping up a game ends up badly. don't need to hype it up, let it go with the flow.

Was there hype for WoW when it was released?

A game is good if its good, bad if its bad.

I rest my case.

I wasn't playing WoW till wrath (yes, Im a wrath baby, and proud of it) so I wouldn't know. But if we look back at Hyped Games (SWTOR, RIFT, etc) it ends up making a rage storm because people get disappointed when a game isn't up to their expectations 100%. No game is perfect, and Gw2 certainly won't be. Im just saying, never hype games. Let the notoriety flow naturally through magazines and word of mouth. Im not dissing Gw2 I think it sounds like its gonna be a great game, I just wouldn't start drooling over the game. because we don't know whats going to happen in the future. Good luck to all who are leaving, hope to see you back. Having PuG's for company will be balls.

I'm not trying to troll so no need to be smart and reply with an lol.. but from like 4:20-4:25 in the video it mentions not month to month fees but it will continue with how they did it before and come out with alot of xpacs.. Thats the main reason i play F2p with WoW cause i cant afford vanilla+bc and wotlk and cata and now MoP PLUS a monthly fee.. So if GW2 is going to have alot of xpacs does that mean that every couple of months you would have to buy a new game for 50 bucks?

The vid does make it look interesting and I would like to try it out maybe but if I put 50 bucks into the game then have to pay another 50 3 months later for a new xpac I wouldn't be able to play it

Users who are viewing this thread