Guild Wars 2

I'm not trying to troll so no need to be smart and reply with an lol.. but from like 4:20-4:25 in the video it mentions not month to month fees but it will continue with how they did it before and come out with alot of xpacs.. Thats the main reason i play F2p with WoW cause i cant afford vanilla+bc and wotlk and cata and now MoP PLUS a monthly fee.. So if GW2 is going to have alot of xpacs does that mean that every couple of months you would have to buy a new game for 50 bucks?

The vid does make it look interesting and I would like to try it out maybe but if I put 50 bucks into the game then have to pay another 50 3 months later for a new xpac I wouldn't be able to play it
$50 every 3 months..no. Also, Vanilla all the way up to Cata is only $20 right now....

How bad is it if I'm late to this party?

Edit: So happy there is a preorder head start. I can buy the game, play for a few days, go enjoy RL (yay college) and then come back when I want to.

Is anyone playing the GW2 beta on a mac with wine or wineskin? How smooth is it compared to a PC?

I play GW2 on my mac! However, I bootcamped my mac. I bought the student Win7 Professional upgrade package for 60 bucks and hacked it into a full install. If you want to go that way, I can walk you through it; Its really quite simple.

You're early, the rest of "WoW's pvpers" will be here within 2 years.

Oh, and guild wars 2 total cost is identical to WoW's total cost except for one slight difference of around $1260:

• WoW = Vanilla + TBC + WOTLK + CATA + MoP
  • GW = Vanilla + Prophecies + Factions + NIghtfall + North

The total cost difference is the monthly fee. From 2006-2013 = 12 x $15 x 7 = $1260. Some people have played more, some have played less. The cost of ownership is identical, its the cost of "access" that is different.

I'm not trying to troll so no need to be smart and reply with an lol.. but from like 4:20-4:25 in the video it mentions not month to month fees but it will continue with how they did it before and come out with alot of xpacs.. Thats the main reason i play F2p with WoW cause i cant afford vanilla+bc and wotlk and cata and now MoP PLUS a monthly fee.. So if GW2 is going to have alot of xpacs does that mean that every couple of months you would have to buy a new game for 50 bucks?

The vid does make it look interesting and I would like to try it out maybe but if I put 50 bucks into the game then have to pay another 50 3 months later for a new xpac I wouldn't be able to play it

Well what you listed is your own problem isn't it? We can't help you deal with it.

Seems that plenty of us are fine with it, so don't come in here trying to convince others that GW2 sucks just because you have doubts/issues with the game.

We've already done our research and made up our mind - so I'll see all the cool people on Darkhaven in a few days. :)

Im playing gw2 on my mac as well, but I'm using codeweavers mainly because it costs less than buying a windows cd. Im am gonna be a week late, as I'm not preordering, and i go away for a week on sunday. But i'll defo see you guys over on the other side :)
~Zaxxo

We can just use the former f2p arena group, nobody uses that anymore.

Guild Wars 2 Developers streaming pre-launch party right now on twitch.
GuildWars2

3ovbfr.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Edit: So happy there is a preorder head start. I can buy the game, play for a few days, go enjoy RL (yay college) and then come back when I want to.

Is anyone playing the GW2 beta on a mac with wine or wineskin? How smooth is it compared to a PC?

I played the orignal Guild Wars on Wineskin, and it played quite well. Virtually no visual glitches, when ran in dx8 mode (it's an old game). I've seen that people have been using Wineskin to run the GW2 beta, but virtualization takes a bit of overhead. If you've got a newer mac it will probably run fine, just not as fast.

Also, to address the skepticism. The difference between the hype between the SWTOR. Rift and GW2 is that Guild Wars has an existing franchise. Guild Wars was primarily a PvP game with a strong PvP player base made by a company that has proven its commitment to balance, the other two are RPGs. If prior performance is any indicator of sucess, Guild Wars 2 will be a success and will be around for years and years.

As far as Guild Wars being a "WoW killer", one does not simply kill WoW, but serious PvPers might migrate.

people who pre purchased...have fun!!!

So, whats it like guys. Oh, and if anyones playing it on a mac without bootcamp (wine/codeweavers), can they tell me how it is running?

I played it using wineskin. I hate to say it, it was completely unplayable because my FPS would stay at around 2-5 and peak at 10. Currently installing boot camp and going to go from there :(

You know you need windows software. I would suggest purchasing the student upgrade for only 60 dollars (vs the normal 300). You can not authenticate it right after you install since it is technically an upgrade not a clean install, but I can help you hack it. Its really quit simple - changing a 1 into a 0 in the registry and 2 prompt commands.

Users who are viewing this thread