EU+US F2P History

just a thought--you might want to consider bolding (or changing text color to yellow), the key phrase for each date...It'd make it easier to read imo

something like this:

October 14 2008 - Patch 3.0.2 goes live, introducing achievements
February 5 2013 - Due to a glitch all characters can enter Icecrown Citadel, Trial of Crusader and Ruby Sanctum, regardless of level. Trial accounts can visit those raids, only requirement is level 80+ character entering the raid before you.

just a thought--you might want to consider bolding (or changing text color to yellow), the key phrase for each date...It'd make it easier to read imo

something like this:

October 14 2008 - Patch 3.0.2 goes live, introducing achievements
February 5 2013 - Due to a glitch all characters can enter Icecrown Citadel, Trial of Crusader and Ruby Sanctum, regardless of level. Trial accounts can visit those raids, only requirement is level 80+ character entering the raid before you.
Good idea, I will do this immediatelly :)
Edit: Done, looking for the brown-red DK color and as always more info!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great now! :)

i like this thread a lot btw. thanks.

If I'm not mistaken, it was 5.0 when Scarlet Monestary became inaccessible to trials right (thus making the Tabard of the Scarlet Crusade grandfathered)?

Don't know the timing on this one, but the other big note I was thinking about was when they patched the holiday dungeon system, which made getting into SFK for the holiday boss impossible for trials. This grandfathered "the Hallowed" title.

edit: oh, i'd note in 5.3 that we lost the ability to submit tickets. that's big.

Around December of 2011, low-levels could access and use the gear from Random Satchels available to higher levels. For example, a f2p running around with Turbulent Necklace.

Here's a link to the "official" thread: http://www.twinkinfo.com/forums/f12/satchel-bug-27752/

For some reason, the bug only worked on EU servers and not US. After a while, Blizz hotfixed the bug but clearly stated they wouldn't actually remove the gear from players. It wasn't so widespread since you needed the help of 3-4 people at high level to perform it and because of trial restrictions, it was difficult for them to get access to that type of help.

I remember seeing a f2p rogue with 3000 health and a 24 priest with around 4500 mana. There were some other cases but I can't remember all.

I don't know if it should be added to the history but it was just a little story I remembered. :p

I think it was actually a early variant of this bug, that allowed f2p's to get the Hallowed Title. Once this bug got fixed, f2p's couldn't get achievements for high level dungeons in the next World Event.

If you put worlds first SF loot can I say all my worlds firsts and ones that I know of? ^-^ Might make that list alittle longer.

Edit: could make sub categories or something. Let's say if the raid glitch became available in jan you could then indent under that and list the world first of each one? Or like this barrens event started on may 22nd (that was patch day right?) and the worlds first f2p with bag was ___ under it

Last edited by a moderator:
The satchel glitch wasn't really F2P specific, although perhaps some EU F2P did manage to get them. The way you got the HH kill, and so title, was to have some max levels queue. Then one drops. They invite you. They four man it while you are in the instance and get credit for the kill and the achievement.

The satchel glitch was available even if you couldn't get into the instance. Getting invited into LFD instances was possible since LFD began. Getting run through by higher levels is a time honored WoW tradition. No glitch was involved in being run through. It was through use of simple widely used invite mechanics. Also, if you couldn't find a healer, people would often log to alts and be invited or guilds and friends were asked etc.

True, it wasn't f2p specific but it did still have a mini-impact. Everyone went nuts for a week. That f2p rogue I mentioned was even 1-shotting 24's.

Another bit of history; f2p's lost the ability to lock xp around the start of October 2011, according to this thread. No longer could f2p's run wild in the 19's bracket.

Satchel bug was around for a long time and was certainly obtainable by F2Ps, although I don't know anybody personally who has them. It was hotfixed on US before EU, so those on EU had longer window to use it.

If you put worlds first SF loot can I say all my worlds firsts and ones that I know of? ^-^ Might make that list alittle longer.

Edit: could make sub categories or something. Let's say if the raid glitch became available in jan you could then indent under that and list the world first of each one? Or like this barrens event started on may 22nd (that was patch day right?) and the worlds first f2p with bag was ___ under it

Sure, good idea with the subcategories, and please, post the world 1sts / world only you know of!

I did a ton of free trials in bc. I tried sooooo hard to remember one of the zillion emails i used then to see if i had any grandfatered items but could not recall.

Perhaps it would be nice to mention about the f2pchat and how that got started and the realm AP creation as home for TI/f2p members/players.

What about rare drop blues, titles, sea turtles etc, does that fall under world first which is worth to mention?

I don't know when AP became the home of f2p, and I don't know when f2pchat was invented.
About the rares, they are still so common, that it would be hard to get certain world 1st, especially if it's just item like FotL or MM. I picked shadowfang, beause it's extremely rare. Big titles like "the bloodthirsty" or "Guardian of Cenarius" should be added IMO, so if you know any date / thread post it! :)

Actually you could trial back in vanilla. But only up to level 5 and only 10 days. Still no trading and such, even back then.

Sweetsydney...

Hell yeah the f2p chat deserves a mention. It's the glue that binds us together until /ignored.

Amen.

Actually you could trial back in vanilla. But only up to level 5 and only 10 days. Still no trading and such, even back then.

Sweetsydney...
Never found any proof for that, but you may be true. I will continue searching.
About the f2p chat, I need info about when it was invented, but I will probably ask Hiideen on skype (he has the "inventor of f2pchat" on his profile, so I think he is right person to ask)

Users who are viewing this thread