EU+US F2P History

This absolutely needs to get updated @Crystalpall.

Maybe while you afk training on your UIMs :p

If someone is willing to go through the trouble of writing down what happened after I stopped I’d love to add it

I’m not up to date for years now and it would be great to keep this little chronicle going

I can already see it in front of me

"Conzil became the first F2P to get 10000 achievement points on one account."
"Conzil became the first F2P to get 11000 achievement points on one account."
"Conzil became the first F2P to get 12000 achievement points on one account."
"Conzil became the first F2P to get 13000 achievement points on one account."
"Conzil became the first F2P to get 14000 achievement points on one account."
"Conzil became the first F2P to get 15000 achievement points on one account."
"Conzil became the first F2P to get 16000 achievement points on one account."
"Conzil became the first F2P to get 17000 achievement points on one account."
"Conzil became the first F2P to get 18000 achievement points on one account."

:haHAA:

Also, I don't really know / remember what happened 2017-2020
But 2020-2023 I could write up

I could probably contribute a bit to fill the gaps between mid Legion and into SL launch if we wanted to try and knock some stuff out. But my memory is pretty shitty as is and really just now feels like 20s might be stabilizing for the first time since 8.1.5

Quick notes, yall can fill in some blanks/ names/ dates:

• BFA:
    • Return to stats versus template gear
    • Northrend Engineering Frag Belt grandfathered after a few days
    • xpdisabled twinks again are separated from f2p/vet
    • party sync trinkets/ AGM grandfathered
    • Trade bug brings Frag belt back for a limited time.
    • mid BFA brings epic quest & world rare procs, quest rerolling ensues. (*cries in field tested spear)
    • late BFA brings BG Loot crate blue gear matching epics in terms of quality and ilvl (ilv 32 vs ilv 31 for blues)
    • unscaled ilv28s are highly desired (magefist gloves)
    • Wows 15th anniversary brings Korraks revenge, this re-opens the door for AV achieves
    • People start "korrak summoning" to unlock access to raids/dungeons not typically accessible, especially in EU ;)
    • People use this trick to obtain previously gf'd scarlet tabard
    • NA organized Sunday Epic BGs

• SL
    • Roller coaster PTR/Prepatch/first few months
    • 20s get squished down to lv 10, have to re-level.
    • Heart of Azeroth becomes available for 20s
    • Legion Dungeons/Quests provide Rare/Epic Quality Artifacts for up to ilvl 49 artifacts, these get grandfathered after a week or two
    • Azerite Enabled Gear available for first 1-2 weeks, azerite traits enabled
    • Azerite Enabled gear receives level requirement, no longer works
    • Heart of Azeroth receives level requirement, no longer works (some still have this equipped)
    • Non-Azerite gear obtained accidently by never getting HoA becomes the inadvertent "broken bis gear" (item level 58/59) Shoulders, Chest, Helm
    • WOD Apexis Daily Rares become runner up, providing ilv 44 gear
    • WOD Apexis Daily Rares get patched, scaling properly to level, a few items are missed, such as select weapons, cloth boots, mail bracer and...
    • Bramblestaff retains ilv 44 and is highly sought after by hunters/agility 2h users. Rerolling ensues.
    • Folks determine that legion invasion mobs farmed on a lv 24/25 provide ilv 28 gear for Vet, farmers make a ton of gold
    • F2P Determines that lv 25 mobs in Drustvar provide similar quality ilv28 gear
    • Gear meta remains pretty stable after this
    • Super frequent BG & Epic BG pops for 20s
    • More Korraks shenanigans, eg usable mythic BFA endgame dungeon gear
    • Late SL ~ August 2022 is the dreaded patch that removed f2p/vet from xpenabled pvp queues. PvP dies and remains dead for 20s.

8.1.5 probably needs its own section, honestly. lets recap *everything* that happened in this patch:
WSG/AB remodels, boost in ilvl to dungeon/quest drops, massive nerf to enchants like ele force, explosive ammo, coastal surge etc. Then the big ones, like quest rewards and rare drops being able to upgrade (RIP to the achievement hunters who already maxed out their quests) and then the final segregation of xp-on and xp-off players, making 20s the only game in town and bringing it fully into the mainstream

Additionally, events I know happened but have forgotten the dates of...
Crystals solo gnomer foray.
the EU kids epic BRD attempt?
Who was the first to clear SM?
Didnt someone get into ST or am i making that up?

Somewhere in BFA there were also 3? 4? guilds actively premading each other as well as regular pugmade wargames.

F2P gaining access to full professions and a 1000 gold cap at SL launch was a huge event.

Vyvenem pushing like 8800 points completely solo.

The RU kids pretty routinely clearing AQ in full 20s raids

#synergy returning for the arena 2v2 league and making a mockery of the rest of us in the 1 and only (*cry*) season

Conzil stumbling into Waycrest being rescaled was also pretty big.

I looked up some of the dates of what u guys mentioned above and some other stuff I think should be mentioned

• September 20 2019 - The EU team led by @Brihan starts clearing Blackrock Depths, eventually clearing 10/15 bosses with a team of only F2P players. More can be read about it here
  • November 5 2019 - WoW's 15th anniversary event starts letting F2Ps queue for Korrak's Revent, letting us once again obtain Alterac Valley Achievements, as well as letting F2Ps farm Timewarped Badges
  • December 15 2019 - An exploit is discovered that lets F2Ps enter Dungeons and Raids up to levels 60 through Korrak's Revenge.
  • May 9 2020 - WoW20 organizes Epic Battleground events in an attempt to make Epic Battlegrounds pop once a week
  • October 14 2020 - @Conzil becomes first F2P to get 10000 acc wide achievement points, just hours before the Shadowlands pre-patch
  • October 14 2020 - The Shadowlands pre-patch goes live, squishing F2Ps down to level 10, but level cap remains level 20. Like @chelly and @Chops said, a lot happened here but no need for me to relist them here.
  • November 8 2020 - The Russians, led by Ultralisk manage to kill Ragnaros in Molten Core,
  • May 4 2021 - @Conzil becomes first F2P to get 15000 acc wide achievement points
  • September 18 2021 - The Russians, led by Ultralisk manage to kill Nefarian in Blackwing Lair
  • June 18 2022 - The Russians, led by Ultralisk manage to kill C'Thun in Ahn'Qiraj
  • August 17 2022 - F2Ps gets moved to the xp-off bracket
  • October 26 2022 - Phase 1 of the Dragonflight pre-patch goes live, some ilvl changes on gear
  • November 15 2022 - Phase 2 of the Dragonflight pre-patch goes live, opens up SL content

Oh and I used EU dates for prepatches and stuff cuz reasons

Last edited:
  • September 22 2022 - A F2P twink appears in an official WoW trailer :p

xuoh.png

Updated the thread graphically and fixed some grammatical errors and added information from @Conzil and some of the info from @Chops that I could find dates for (btw full profession access now? That's crazy)

I'd love to add information from @chelly and fill the giant gap from 2016 to 2019

if you guys could find the exact dates, maybe videos (maybe of the f2p raids?), xpoff threads, screenshots, anything, that would be very cool!

This absolutely needs to get updated @Crystalpall.

Maybe while you afk training on your UIMs :p

https://i.imgur.com/j06r63g.png

:)

Users who are viewing this thread