EU+US zone scaling and gear drops?

no its not that
its more likely that certain items were added to the game during different expansions on different loot tables
so the scaling change of 7.3.5 only hit some of those loot tables
not all of them

because i have gotten the exact same item both scaled and non scaled
so based on how mobs and loot tables for mobs were added you may get same item in 2 different types
Yes, I’ve also got the same item both scaled and non-scaled. Maybe it depends on the mob, which is strange though as it occurs in the same dungeon? :confused:

Yes, I’ve also got the same item both scaled and non-scaled. Maybe it depends on the mob, which is strange though as it occurs in the same dungeon? :confused:

yeah lol
its all wonky
i have gotten non-scaled and scaled back to back from the same mob type

got some more examples

green boe weapon and shield with lvl req of 20 and ilvl of 23

this dagger is a single source drop blue boe i referenced in another thread
the proc is similar to the rfc sword

and a 2hander boe from a single source drop compared with blood elf quest blue bop

Gnomer is just an awesome place for 20's looking for mogs. Heaps of greens drop from trash mobs.
General rule for Gnomer greens on a 20 :-
Armour - ilvl 19, usable lvl 16
Weapon - ilvl 23, usable lvl 20
Ok, so is it fair to say that Gnomer is the best dungeon for 20's to farm for higher ilvl greens & blues? I'm yet to get a BoE blue in a dungeon other than Gnomer. Has anyone looted a blue in another dungeon? I'd like to know what ilvl it drops at.
Seems armor greens in other dungeons usually scale lower :-
Armor - ilvl 16, usable 13
Though still some odd scaling from time to time (below was from BFD - random drop off a mob) :-
upload_2018-3-10_19-36-22.png

interesteing
treated like a boe with a single source
scaled like a bop

much like these single source boes

Last edited:

this might be useful
for someone trying to see what lvl toon you need to farm green boes for other twinks
this lvl 15 looted an ilvl 14 green boe with clvl req of 11

this might be useful
for someone trying to see what lvl toon you need to farm green boes for other twinks
this lvl 15 looted an ilvl 14 green boe with clvl req of 11

That mace has an ilvl 18 version that I assume requires level 15 - so at least BoE greens are dropping lower level weapons than is possible.

That mace has an ilvl 18 version that I assume requires level 15 - so at least BoE greens are dropping lower level weapons than is possible.

yeah
i remember someone was trying to figure out if you needed a lvl 32 toon to farm green boes with clvl req of 29
and some of the equations for lvl 20s were:

armor:
ilvl 19 = clvl req 16 (lvl 20 - clvl req 16 = -4 lvl diff)
ilvl 16 = clvl req 13 (lvl 20 - clvl req 16 = -7 lvl diff)

weapon:
ilvl 23 = clvl req 20 (lvl 20 - clvl req 16 = 3 ilvl diff)
ilvl 18 = clvl req 15 (lvl 20 - clvl req 16 = -2 ilvl diff) -???

maybe this difference in ilvl and clvl can help some figure out what clvl to make a mule farmer

Gratz Ohti! I wonder how much 8 dodge does for a level 20.

I'm so sad they wont scale to 19!!
[doublepost=1522067006,1522066066][/doublepost]Wow.. this made me look at the Gnomer loot... and i found something shocking lol... and probably mostly crazy OP for F2P people..
Because Zone drop loot scales to the level of the dungeon or? But if it scales to 19 or 20.. it could be easily BiS for warrior/rogue/shaman/monk... The weapon im talking about is ofcourse Vibroblade... 69 armor is a crazy amount... and probably increases damage done by 20%-35% depending on which armor.
[doublepost=1522067544][/doublepost]
I believe you are correct. I posted this in another thread awhile ago. I believe that this is a fairly accurate assessment of how scaling ilevels work below 60.

(x<6)

World Drop BoE Weapon epics drop at x8 and x3 required levels and will be +13 ilevels over the required level.

World Drop BoE Armor epics drop at x7 and x2 required levels and will be +13 ilevels over the required level.

Instance/Mob Specific epics drop at the player's current level as the required level and will be +12 ilevels over the required level.

World Drop BoE Weapon blues
drop at x7 and x2 required levels and will be +8 ilevels over the required level. (Max ilvl 35 @ level 29)

World Drop BoE Armor blues drop at x5 and x0 required levels and will be +8 ilevels over the required level. (Max ilvl 33 @ level 29)

Instance/Mob Specific blues drop at the player's current level as the required level and will be +6 ilevels over the required level. (Max ilvl 35 @ level 29)

(Also keep in mind that there are likely minimum required levels for certain drops.)

Hello Valotian, I have a question.
If there is any mob scaled to lower level then they used to be in classic and had the possibility to drop an epic before 7.3.5
Would they still have that possibility right now? or do epics only drop from a certain level?

Another thought i had is... there is a mob in Felwood that scales with level all the way down to level 10 and up to level 110,Grimrot
If i would kill that rare with a level 40 while my level 19 is there and it drops an BoE world epic (chances are ofcourse astronomically low but IF it would drop and my 19 would loot it... would it scale down?

Please i'm going to get epics on my 19.. its just a matter of time but your help would be very welcomed!

Hey @Dolfie. I’m still waiting on a Gnomer specific blue to drop to see how it scales.
Sadly world blue BoE’s in Gnomer scale up to requiring lvl 22, well at least on a 20 it does. Armor scales nicely to ilvl 28, but I haven’t seen a blue weapon scale correctly, though I’m yet to see what a Gnomer specific one scales to.
And I think the first chance we’ll get at purples is the upcoming holiday bosses, but if u find another way, please let us know ;)

Hey @Dolfie. I’m still waiting on a Gnomer specific blue to drop to see how it scales.
Sadly world blue BoE’s in Gnomer scale up to requiring lvl 22, well at least on a 20 it does. Armor scales nicely to ilvl 28, but I haven’t seen a blue weapon scale correctly, though I’m yet to see what a Gnomer specific one scales to.
And I think the first chance we’ll get at purples is the upcoming holiday bosses, but if u find another way, please let us know ;)

World drop BoE blues are always *2 or *7 so it sounds normal to find a req 22 - 27 or req 17 BoE blue weapon.
And i remember getting a specific gnomer blue on the PTR from the rare close to the end .. it was a gun i forgot the name.. but i remember it was the same level as other blues from bosses in gnomer.. too high for me to equip. and also a +6 ilvl bonus.. but maybe it was changed after that before hitting live.. And also i'm not giving up on a chanse for certain items to scale differently like many greenies do.
And do you think level 19's can get into the holliday dungeons? because i saw someone post something about that the love in the air event was also possible from level 11... however i dont know how... please let me know if you know :D

And when i find a way to get some cool stuff you're the first to know!

I think I've narrowed down the mobs in Gnomer for which the loot doesn't scale (apart from the bosses, at least for 20's). It's the weaker mobs http://www.wowhead.com/npc=6222/leprous-technician and http://www.wowhead.com/npc=7603/leprous-assistant. Not sure if it's both or just one of them, but these are the only mobs in Gnomer where the loot doesn't scale down, but remains pre-7.3.5 levels.
If one of these were to drop a blue rare, I dare say it wouldn't scale. Hopefully the other mobs, if I'm ever lucky enough to loot another blue scales down! That's the Gnomer specific blues I'm talking about. I still want to see how they scale.

I think I've narrowed down the mobs in Gnomer for which the loot doesn't scale (apart from the bosses, at least for 20's). It's the weaker mobs http://www.wowhead.com/npc=6222/leprous-technician and http://www.wowhead.com/npc=7603/leprous-assistant. Not sure if it's both or just one of them, but these are the only mobs in Gnomer where the loot doesn't scale down, but remains pre-7.3.5 levels.
If one of these were to drop a blue rare, I dare say it wouldn't scale. Hopefully the other mobs, if I'm ever lucky enough to loot another blue scales down! That's the Gnomer specific blues I'm talking about. I still want to see how they scale.

I've been to gnomer yesterday and i've killed the Darkiron Ambasador a rare close to the last boss room.. and i've found a mace he drops which is a specific drop from him and it was req lvl 24 and ilvl 30 like all other blues i've found from bosses.

But your find is pretty awesome! i'm going to run many runs only killing those Leprous Technician and Assistant and hope for a blue and let you know when i find one!

After about 10 runs of killing the assistants and technicians the RNG gods smiled upon me at last.
The Silver lined belt dropped from one of those Elite machines that looks like a spider... And the Gizmotron Megachopper dropped from a pack of those Assistants and technicians. And while i've been farming those guys... i found that i got many greenies that did not scale like they should in 7.3.5... and also a few that did scale like they should... That makes me believe that the Assistants are the one that dont make greenies scale properly. and it just might be that this Gizmotron Megachopper dropped from a technician or even a mechanic... so this isnt ultimate proof yet... sigh... On we go!
WoWScrnShot_033018_120815.jpg

After about 10 runs of killing the assistants and technicians the RNG gods smiled upon me at last.
The Silver lined belt dropped from one of those Elite machines that looks like a spider... And the Gizmotron Megachopper dropped from a pack of those Assistants and technicians. And while i've been farming those guys... i found that i got many greenies that did not scale like they should in 7.3.5... and also a few that did scale like they should... That makes me believe that the Assistants are the one that dont make greenies scale properly. and it just might be that this Gizmotron Megachopper dropped from a technician or even a mechanic... so this isnt ultimate proof yet... sigh... On we go!
View attachment 7155
Oh wow, that’s a lucky run. I’ve run a heap of Gnomers with no blues lately :(
Yeah it’s difficult to say about the Gizmotron, would have been good if it dropped off another mob ;)
Thanks for sharing. Onto the poundfest we go......

Edit : actually, Gizmotron shows up on Wowhead as ilvl 29, yours shows ilvl 30. Seems it did scale but remained at required lvl 24 which is strange as I've had a world blue scale to lvl 30 but required lvl 22. Seems Gizmotron may be acting like a Gnomer boss blue? That may mean we are unlikely to see a blue weapon scale down to 20, or lower in Gnomer :(

Last edited:
Bit of thread hijack but relevant. Just been farming Blackened Defias legs on a 39 Monk, they scale to level, the set bonus doesn't appear too, if the Tool Tip is right.
After that thought I'd try my luck for a set of Foreman's Gloves from Foreman Thistlenettle, they didn't drop but a pr of Corpse Rompers did, those also scale to i45 on a 39. Being BoP absolutely no use to me but still

Oh wow, that’s a lucky run. I’ve run a heap of Gnomers with no blues lately :(
Yeah it’s difficult to say about the Gizmotron, would have been good if it dropped off another mob ;)
Thanks for sharing. Onto the poundfest we go......

Edit : actually, Gizmotron shows up on Wowhead as ilvl 29, yours shows ilvl 30. Seems it did scale but remained at required lvl 24 which is strange as I've had a world blue scale to lvl 30 but required lvl 22. Seems Gizmotron may be acting like a Gnomer boss blue? That may mean we are unlikely to see a blue weapon scale down to 20, or lower in Gnomer :(

Think its because gizmo is a gnomer zone drop. Makes sense zone drops don't go below the zone level.

Users who are viewing this thread