What do you do for a living?

*brofist* What languages and what/who do you code for?

VB, C++, Basic, Cobol, and starting to dabble into Java. Most of what I do revolves around SQL Server, but I use Unix as well. Most of what I write is software for our financial departments(AR, AP, Payroll etc.).

God this Thread is taking off I wanted to respond to everyone :) Im noticing alot of people who are posting here do something dealing with Computers, Its impressive though how many people do more diverse jobs. Keep them coming. Today Im happy to say I kept a special needs guy (no family, and has been trying to support himself) from getting a 60,000 hospital bill. Days like today make my job worth it I thought the guy was going to kiss me.

Lot's of work in the hospitals!

I'm a nurse.

Lot's of work in the hospitals!

I'm a nurse.

When I worked in the kitchen I worked with alot of nurses, Any particular specialty? In my hopsital we had our RNs who were surg, patient care, rehab care, peds/obgyn.

When I worked in the kitchen I worked with alot of nurses, Any particular specialty? In my hopsital we had our RNs who were surg, patient care, rehab care, peds/obgyn.

Currently Med/Surg (2 floors). The Surg focus is Ortho. So hips/knees mostly.

Was ICU before. Bouncing around a bit until I find the *that's it!*

Last edited by a moderator:
ICU is so intense and very stressful.....I know I couldnt work in that area. Med/Surg in our hospital is pretty laid back, it isnt specialized to just Ortho though, its everyone who needs admitted that isnt Rehab/Critical Care/PedsOB

Alot of the nurses I work with have worked every deptartment then they decided from there. Its crazy how people like different departments, Probably why the nursing field is so desired and growing so fast.

Bump, anyone got a story from your job that you would like to share?

Here is a fun little story that happened to me when I was still in the kitchen of the hospital. So for this particular day I was a Hospitality Associate. (getting the patients food orders, making it and taking them there meal personally) well I was taking care of a Elderly man in Rehab Center and every time I came into the room he would always order a steak. Finally on his last day in the hospital I got it verified threw the Nurse and Made him a small steak (we have steak for new mothers for celebration meals). When I pulled the top off his plate and a steak in front of him he grabbed me and gave me the biggest hug. A week after I got the new job as a Patient Account Rep he came in for financial assistance and when he saw me he gave me another hug, he then explained that ever since I gave him that steak that he has always had the best attitude towards life, that sometimes you need to trust that someone will help and as long as you do good deeds it will be rewarded. I assisted him with his bill (he is making payments on it now) every time he comes in to pay some he always mentions to someone that I made him a steak that saved his life.

Here is a fun little story that happened to me when I was still in the kitchen of the hospital. So for this particular day I was a Hospitality Associate. (getting the patients food orders, making it and taking them there meal personally) well I was taking care of a Elderly man in Rehab Center and every time I came into the room he would always order a steak. Finally on his last day in the hospital I got it verified threw the Nurse and Made him a small steak (we have steak for new mothers for celebration meals). When I pulled the top off his plate and a steak in front of him he grabbed me and gave me the biggest hug. A week after I got the new job as a Patient Account Rep he came in for financial assistance and when he saw me he gave me another hug, he then explained that ever since I gave him that steak that he has always had the best attitude towards life, that sometimes you need to trust that someone will help and as long as you do good deeds it will be rewarded. I assisted him with his bill (he is making payments on it now) every time he comes in to pay some he always mentions to someone that I made him a steak that saved his life.
Stories like this really make me want to get into medical practice for one reason or another just so I can help people in any way I can.

a user had a problem with her printer. I walked in, looked at the back of the printer and the usb cabel was jammed in the ethernet input.

Currently studying. My last year via correspondence - health reasons.
My chosen subjects are Classical Studies, English History and English - would like to make it big as an author.

English history? Are you meaning British History as part of the History course? Because i've never come across ''English History'' as a single standalone subject in Uni(NZ)

edit: Wait do you mean English LAL?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a senior in high school, I work part time in a retail pharmacy as well as play sports. After graduating I'll be attending college next year as a computer science major.

I'm a senior in high school, I work part time in a retail pharmacy as well as play sports. After graduating I'll be attending college next year as a computer science major.

Ah that great last year of high school I so miss it, well not really I wish i could go back in time and smack myself a few times for the choices I made but hey I wouldnt be where I am at today if I made different choices.....alls well that ends well :)

[MENTION=2555]Dorigon[/MENTION] for some reason I can easily picture you as a Middle school teacher, what subject?

Current Job update, I get weekends off and honestly there very much needed, these past 2 weeks Overtime is expected to help catch up on some billing issues the Hospital had and its been kind of mentally exhausting. Going into this pay period and I believe I gotta work OT again and Im starting to wonder what Im going to do.....lately Ive had alot of extra time to goof off (mainly on here) I guess I can start branching out and helping other people do there jobs but when the OT ends will it be expected for me to continue helping them and if so how will that effect my work.....Just kind of thinking out loud here haha

Past:
I was an electronics tech in the US Navy.
I also used to be the owner/editor of a very popular site that evolved from Pocket PC into a smartphone site. I sold it in 2010, the same time I basically gave this site away.

Present:
1A - Electronics Technician for AT&T.
1B - Web Developer for a local company.

Future:
I am finishing up some loose ends on a degree I abandoned in 2002 in hopes of moving into a marketing position at AT&T.

Users who are viewing this thread