Warlords of Draenor Changes for F2P

Well at that point I'd want to know whether or not the SF proc is normalized for OH, otherwise it may be inferior to a superior stat stick.

For Sub though, the agility scaling from SF does make it pretty ideal. I've never been a fan of prioritizing small amounts of agility over large amounts of stamina (I.E., DS vs SF for OH), so unless the proc was there... I'm not sure I'd take SF OH then.

Yea it's chance per hit so a swing and a miss won't proc anything and the proc looks pretty pitiful if that's still accurate. I don't believe it's PPM either (you would get more rolls for proc on a slower weapon) so it's bad juju for OH.

Right we all have access to SFK so we all then have access to SF. I think that's like the transitive property... SF is dropped from SFK, we have access to SFK so therefore QED we all have access to SF! But I'll leave the math properties up to my trusty doge of haste [MENTION=6328]Snowjobs[/MENTION]

Right we all have access to SFK so we all then have access to SF. I think that's like the transitive property... SF is dropped from SFK, we have access to SFK so therefore QED we all have access to SF! But I'll leave the math properties up to my trusty doge of haste [MENTION=6328]Snowjobs[/MENTION]

F(x) = 1 - X^N

Where X is the probability of it NOT dropping per run (2499/2500) and N is the number of attempts.

F(x) is the percentage chance of having seen SF drop after N runs.

So after 1601 runs in Shadowfang Keep, you'll have a ~47.30% chance of having seen a shadowfang drop :)

Oh and also, Shadowfang has a 1/10,000 per boss in Shadowfang Keep. There are 4 bosses, so the chance per Shadowfang Keep is 1/2500. The chance of it NOT dropping therefore is 2499/2500.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually the probability is exactly the same each and every time you run SFK. Your drop chances do not increase by the amount of runs. If it didn't did drop on run 1. You have the same chance that it will drop on run 50. It is all about RNG.
""First Law of Probability states that the results of one chance event have no effect on the results of subsequent chance events. "
I suggest massaging that lucky rabbit's foot if you really want Shadowfang to drop.
Good Luck!!

Sweetsidney...

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything Bop said is correct. He is giving us a function to compute the probability of obtaining SF in x runs. Sure the probability is the same with each run, but if you run it 100x there's greater chance of dropping than running it just once. Notice that F(x) approaches 1 (or 100%) as x (number of runs) approaches infinity.

Actually the probability is exactly the same each and every time you run SFK. Your drop chances do not increase by the amount of runs. If it didn't did drop on run 1. You have the same chance that it will drop on run 50. It is all about RNG.
""First Law of Probability states that the results of one chance event have no effect on the results of subsequent chance events. "
I suggest massaging that lucky rabbit's foot if you really want Shadowfang to drop.
Good Luck!!

Sweetsidney...

The formula displayed above doesn't state that there is any sort of likelihood of seeing Shadowfang after X amounts of runs.

The formula is asymptotic, meaning that the result will never get to 100% - because you will never have a 100% chance of seeing Shadowfang after X number of runs.

Instead, it calculates the probability of Shadowfang dropping (the fractional percent chance per run) and raises it to the number of runs.

That number returned gives you the difference from 1 (representing 100%) as a decimal answer.

So all you're going to be measuring is the percent chance of having seen one drop.

You can neither argue that the formula is biased (as it is a simple numerical calculational) nor that it fails to take something into consideration such as linear probabilities (since it never claims to have a magic number of runs necessary to acquire Shadowfang).

I see what you're saying about linear probabilities. And people do often forget that their chance of getting SF after 1500 runs is the same as after 1 run. But that's not what this formula is designed to be about.

F(x) = 1 - X^N

Where X is the probability of it NOT dropping per run (2499/2500) and N is the number of attempts.

F(x) is the percentage chance of having seen SF drop after N runs.

So after 1601 runs in Shadowfang Keep, you'll have a ~47.30% chance of having seen a shadowfang drop :)

Oh and also, Shadowfang has a 1/10,000 per boss in Shadowfang Keep. There are 4 bosses, so the chance per Shadowfang Keep is 1/2500. The chance of it NOT dropping therefore is 2499/2500.

There are 5 bosses and 1 rare boss fitting the criteria of being in the level 21-27 level range for a chance of being able to drop Shadowfang, 3 of them however were added post cataclysm and didn't have shadowfang added to the loottable thus making Baron Silverlaine, Commander Springvale and the Deathsworn Captain the only 3 mobs in the instance with the possibility to drop the sword.

Necrology Robe, Duskbring and Gloomshroud Armor are available from mobs inside SFK between the level range of 22-28 sadly however no mobs in the instance fit that criteria.

There are 5 bosses and 1 rare boss fitting the criteria of being in the level 21-27 level range for a chance of being able to drop Shadowfang, 3 of them however were added post cataclysm and didn't have shadowfang added to the loottable thus making Baron Silverlaine, Commander Springvale and the Deathsworn Captain the only 3 mobs in the instance with the possibility to drop the sword.

Necrology Robe, Duskbring and Gloomshroud Armor are available from mobs inside SFK between the level range of 22-28 sadly however no mobs in the instance fit that criteria.

Good call about the Deathsworn Captain, that makes the chance 1999/2000, not 2499/2500 :O Miscalculated that.

I thought as long as the mobs were "boss" and also within the appropriate level ranges, they automatically had a chance at the SF drop. Is that not the case with Godfrey?

Did they raise the level cap to 30? or was that a rumor?

Lol, ya get the ptws even more annoyed to raise thier ideal level, grind for new gear, and get used to the new macros.

That's not gonna happen til at least 3+ more expansions.

Good call about the Deathsworn Captain, that makes the chance 1999/2000, not 2499/2500 :O Miscalculated that.

I thought as long as the mobs were "boss" and also within the appropriate level ranges, they automatically had a chance at the SF drop. Is that not the case with Godfrey?

Godfrey, Walden and the first Baron were all added after cata so they don't have SF on their loot table. 2 bosses and a rare can drop drop it instead of 5 bosses and a rare making your chances of getting it go from pretty much impossible to not in this lifetime. I don't know why the new bosses haven't had the items added to their loot table, probably because it's trash drops and were intended as such but the old bosses still got 'em. Blizz logic I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread