Talents Preview Discussion [w/ Calaculator Link]

Discussion in '20s (Shadowlands)' started by CigNus, Jun 3, 2022.

Share This Page

1. Ammonite

Ammonite Member

Don't worry, Blizz will move Critical Mass up a tier so we can spec into the bonus crit chance COPIUM

• Funny Funny x 1
    • COPIUM COPIUM x 1
  2. glancealot

glancealot Member

if that's the case, then chances are, the optimal way to spec is to skip silence.

3. raziel83

raziel83 Member

But if you skip silence how are you going to pretend to be a rank 1 arena player in lvl 20 skirmishes?

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Bop

Bop Remember the Treeline

:Sadge:

• PepeHands PepeHands x 1
  5. Kaxle

Kaxle OG

It's almost as if you can, and should, change your talent choices based the activity you're doing

• Like Like x 4
    • Surprised Surprised x 2
  6. Nutsmite

Nutsmite Member

yeah it's not that you can spec to the mind bomb instead (which is universally better because you can cast it on melee, unles you want to silence hunter for some reason) and get great talents on the way

7. Bop

What's your point? Never pick silence under any circumstance? Oook.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kethcup

Kethcup Member

Best way to play Shadow Priest is to respec into holy/disc

• Like Like x 1
  9. Nutsmite

Nutsmite Member

that's not what I meant. Ofc u can pick silence if you play against team that's fully stacked with arcane mages and warlocks. But how often is that

10. Chops

Chops Soccer Dad Moderator

"you mean I have the ability to choose between a robust support playstyle and a facemelting dps playstyle and I can tailor that choice depending on circumstance? This is bullshit!"

• Funny Funny x 1
    • FrogeTorch FrogeTorch x 1
  11. Kethcup

Kethcup Member

nope it's

I can have utility literally every other spec in the game gets for free, or I can have a real DPS rotation that every other spec in the game gets for free, including my healer specs!

12. Chops

Dont just say that, provide proof. Hardmode challenge, provide proof that isnt rogue.

13. Bop

There are examples of classes that have damage and utility. I think what repliant friend is missing is that this is level 20. We're not guaranteed to have everything. Spriest is indisputably a top 10 spec at level 20, at least. Their damage numbers and offhealing are going to be just as good as this xpac - and even more when supplemented by the insanely good Priest class tree.

Part of the whole BG vs. Arena discussion of class viability that really bugs me... BGs just have lower average skill across all 20 (/30) players. So something like a silence seems useless when you compare it to an interrupt. But what if the player is good and juking, tossing in instant heals, peeling you so they can hard cast? What if you force a blanket silence and then an ally gets an easier interrupt as a result? Nope, doesn't matter, because it's 20 people running around like chickens with their heads cut off in random BGs. You don't need a silence to guarantee kills, so it's not valuable. Silence doesn't make my details bar look bigger, so it's bad.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Chops

its the assertion that "everyone else gets for free" that irks me. Spec trees requiring you to spend a point or two on basic spells/abilities appears to be a very conscious design choice, not some oversight that afflicts only SPriests.

I think it boils down to people feeling cheated when they look at a tree that forces them to make a choice between two desirable talents. Instead of seeing two different builds for two different situations, they (like you point out) only see their DPS suffering in a steamroll BG and get grouchy.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Kethcup

Kethcup Member

Shamans get a 12 sec cd interrupt, purge, healing, ghost wolf, oh and astral shift

how do they pay for that?

by having their full DPS rotation.

16. Nutsmite

Nutsmite Member

I think if you get hurt that despite having option to pick strong dps build on top of having mind bomb and keeping insane base priest utility YoU cAn'T hAvE SiLeNce, do me a favor and log on feral druid, suffer for a while and then come back and tell me spriest has bad because of silence talent row
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 6, 2022, Original Post Date: Aug 6, 2022 ---
    How is lava burst, flame shock and lightning bolt a full rotation but mind blast, sw pain, sw death, mind flay, mind sear (considering build with silence) and vampiric touch/devouring plague not a full rotation

• Like Like x 1
  17. Chops

Shear, purge and astral shift are all talents that cost. They arent free. Theyre also in the class tree, not the spec tree.

Lemme try this same thing: "Priests have fear, bubble, purge, desperate prayer oh and power infusion and they pay for it how? by having a DPS rotation as filled out as anyone else"

I dont understand why youre mad. SPriest looks incredible. ESPECIALLY with instant Mind Blast
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 6, 2022, Original Post Date: Aug 6, 2022 ---
    Like...

[​IMG]

I think you'll be fine

• Like Like x 2
    • Surprised Surprised x 2
    • Pepega Pepega x 1
  18. troublesomesleeper

troublesomesleeper Member

Losing dispersion is sad. Being able to take prayer of mending and renew might be decent, will have to see how they scale.

19. Kethcup

Kethcup Member

can't use in shadowform, hence further nerfing your already poor damage.

20. troublesomesleeper

troublesomesleeper Member

Was hoping for void eruption or other fun abilities on shadow. Then, you look at the warrior skill tree - its night and day difference.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022