PTR Our own Shadowlands Alpha Q&A

Ty for the clarification Zazzy. My only maxed crafting prof in Retail is JC, so the rings baited me.

Doing some tests with them on Alpha right now to see if you can craft rings with a guarenteed socket for lower levels.

Last edited:
Legion crafted leveling blues can go epic and they can also 1 stat roll. Epic savant gear (full mastery) would be cool to see at 10 or whatever. Let me know if that’s a thing lol

https://www.wowhead.com/news=316229...n-expansion-to-level-your-alts-in-shadowlands

Would like to see more of this. How far you can go into an xpaks storyline capped at 10, what kind of rewards for quests, mobs, rares

What does that even mean though? Why do you choose? If you don’t choose one, does it not scale to your level? Why don’t they just make it to where all of them are available at once?

also it seems to me that New 49 thinks will have to level all the way with major caution when it comes to killing or turning things in lol

All continent have some zones that start the scalling at lvl10 and others that progressively start later (like lvl 15, 20, 30). When you talk to Chromie she only gives you the initial quest of the expansions, like talking to Admiral Rogers in the Skybreak for initiating Pandaria.

You can chose multiple continents and level them at any other, if you have the minimum level of a zone. You'd get the same rewards from quests and rare that you on retail, but they'd just scale and upgrade (if that's possible).

Last edited:
1. At what level can you start looting mobs on timeless isle, or loot any container or similar on there that gives timeless coins? (right now we can only loot the Crane Nest as F2P, need to know if I should start farming the last two pets now or save it for Shadowlands.

2. At what level can you get to "new" Uldum / Vale of Eternal Blossom?

3. Are Zuldazar, Vol'dun, Nazmir, Tiragarde Sound, Drustvar, Stormsong Valley all scaled to level 10? If not, which level can you start looting mobs at?

Last edited:
To extend a bit on Conzil questions, can you check if there is still the same restriction on looting? aka, can only loot mobs who are maximum 10 levels over us (including the +10th level). Or if they "scaled" that restriction down.

To test that, the simpler is (with a lvl10) to check if you can loot (in non-Chromie time):
- mobs lvl15 (Redridge Mountains, Hillsbrad Foothills, Alterac Mountains)
- mobs lvl20 (Arathi Highlands, Northern Stranglethorn, Stranglethorn Vale, The Cape of Stranglethorn, Duskwood, Western Plaguelands, Wetlands, The Hinterlands)
And if you can't loot lvl15 or lvl20, try again after leveling up one level at a time to figure out what is the new range of levels that we can loot in SL. So that we can do a bit of research on what loots will be available (tmogs, toys, pets, etc) ^^

Irritated how broken the wowhead item scaling and character profiler is. If it worked I’d get a good idea on how my twinks would scale.

3. Are Zuldazar, Vol'dun, Nazmir, Tiragarde Sound, Drustvar, Stormsong Valley all scaled to level 10? If not, which level can you start looting mobs at?

This is an interesting question.

Right now, all Legion zones start from lvl 10 - which makes sense, since you level in any order at that expansion. Despite BfA also having the same pick-your-zone style, Kul'tiras and Zandalar zones have different starting levels (something like Tiragarde / Zandalar - 10; Drustvar / Nazmir 20; Vol'dun / Stormsong - 30).

This doesn't seem intended, so more changes could be made.

I'll likely make a walltext / spreadsheet about each zone's starting level and change it as the changes go by, if spare time is ever present.

@Eleannor hoping you can answer a few things for us. Thank you for doing this!

Make a character, get to 10, and tell us:

New changes were added to the main post:

- "3.1-A" now has a link to a spreadsheet with all zones and (in the future) dungeons levels.​

Borean Tundra starting at 10 is an important find. If that becomes accessible to F2Ps, that will likely make the Drape of Distilled Hatred (quest reward) the BiS cloak for all casters. WoWhead Beta says the quest starts at level 15, but...WoWhead. A couple of very good rings may come from quests there as well.

New changes were added to the main post:

- "3.1-A" now has a link to a spreadsheet with all zones and (in the future) dungeons levels.​
Thanks for the spreadsheet.
I have to be honest though, I was hoping we would get a little more access at 10 than just the starting zones in the other XPacs. But I guess we can’t be too choosy.
I’m guessing this means we won’t get access to the farm in Pandaria :(
But I’m guessing we can still loot in the higher zones, to a certain point which could be useful.

Though Legion seems to have quite a few scaled zones, so could be the place to hang out. Never played Legion end game, so looking forward to it!

Last edited:
So this new find that many Dungeons start at LvL 10 begs a question. With the new-new level squish and considering the new-new LvL 10 is higher than the current LvL 10 (which has the highest Stat scaling of any Level outside LvL 1), will 10's be OPAF in SL 5-mans/some BG's or do we wager that Blizz will balance the lower levels to compensate for the new-new squish.

EDIT: or balance the Instances so everyone is roughly equal in power.

So this new find that many Dungeons start at LvL 10 begs a question. With the new-new level squish and considering the new-new LvL 10 is higher than the current LvL 10 (which has the highest Stat scaling of any Level outside LvL 1), will 10's be OPAF in SL 5-mans/some BG's or do we wager that Blizz will balance the lower levels to compensate for the new-new squish.

EDIT: or balance the Instances so everyone is roughly equal in power.
Not a lot is known yet about PvP, but I’ve got a feeling they may turn 10-49 into 1 big bracket, sort of like that Koraks AV event. I think that was their tuning ground for what they have in mind. Though we can still only get into WSG and AB, but higher levels can get in also.
If that’s the case, we will be bottom end as we will have so few abilities compared to the higher levels that scaling won’t really matter compared to the lack of abilities.
That’s how I expect it to play out. :(

Not a lot is known yet about PvP, but I’ve got a feeling they may turn 10-49 into 1 big bracket, sort of like that Koraks AV event.

That's my feeling, but I don't think it would occour for normal BGs (because even "small details" like mount speed differences could be a big deal in those small BGs).

Regardless, I'm writing a long feedback post in which I suggest "Korrak-Style" Epic BGs for the leveling brackets as a way to keep queue timers going.

Will likely share it here before posting in the Alpha forums.

Hey guys, i was wondering what the new twink level is going to be and also if there are things that might be obtainable now.. and will be unobtainable after shadowlands.. but will remain BIS.... or will every piece of gear be replaced? I just want to be sure to not miss anything.. cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread