How do you have fun as F2P? (Or vet?)

Dev

The title is not sarcasm, I'm curious how different people approach the game from a F2P and Vet perspective; how do you choose to use the existing game mechanics, what mechanics do you ignore, do you make up your own rules or play within the system? The more I've experienced other MMOs, the more it seems like the Twink experience in WoW is something rare. In a game designed to level and go raiding, etc, those at level 20 are playing within a mass of systems not designed for them, but which often end up having interesting effects in just how far that experience can be pushed. F2P at 20 is one matter, but to stay at 20 as a vet is something intentional. From the ground up, the game simply was not designed for this kind of playstyle, though modern systems designed for leveling have helped on this front. I notice this most when I play other games where there is no system to lock your level, because if there was, the game would feel completely different, and many of the extra systems that often creep in at endgame would not apply. All in all, I've found that Twinking is practically a separate game, and one I prefer.

I've mained a DH twink for several years now because of one feature, vertical mobility. I parkour across spans and make a game of not touching the ground. If that sounds childish, perhaps it is, but it's no less enjoyable.
Something else I do on occasion is begin the Draenor campaign on an alt and reach the gunpowder quest so I'm able to draw along the ground. With some time and patience, you're able to draw quite a bit with the line of gunpowder.

If not that, I often roelplay walk or simply explore regions I rarely visit. A quirk of my gameplay is that I've never enjoyed questing, rarely enjoyed raids or PVP, and prefer the occasional dungeon (Despite much of the game catering to those.)
This leaves me wondering how many others do similar things to myself, or have found their own niche ways of having fun in-game?

I am exclusively a PvE twink going for achievement points (Im way behind the pros so far) I will only PvP when the time comes for achievements/rep farms. I chose Guardian Druid because I like to solo my own dungeons. That dopamine hit when on run #194 you get the item you want with the extra socket is very satisfying.

Currently Im leveling up an army of druids, 1 for each profession, so I can finally main Inscription/Engineering on my main.

I just log in and do whatever I feel like. If I'm not paying for a sub I don't feel pressure to play when I don't feel like it. So if I'm tired of the game, I'll just play other stuff for a while.

Right now with the prepatch 9ish days away, I am getting stuff ready for alts for each profession. Being able to move stuff between alts finally gave me the motivation to take professions outside of Alchemy and Engineering seriously. Also on my radar is to start with vanilla and do all the quests in each zone that I can. While I have a little bit of sub time during the prepatch, unlocking adventure mode for DF will be my main priority.

Between all those I should have enough to keep me busy a while.

You don't

For me, it was a mixture of what has already said, like collecting stuff and having no time pressure. I also enjoy that now it's more than just the six dungeons and a few dozen zones we had for, what, 5 expansions straight? F2Ps feast well with the sheer amount of content available nowadays.

More than anything though, for me it was about the challenge of doing it all solo. I hear that's way easier nowadays though thanks to some overpowered trinkets and shadowlands gems, and I imagine it'll be even easier with flying mounts. I even hear MM hunters have AoE now... Must be nice having all these things... :PepeHands:

For me, it was a mixture of what has already said, like collecting stuff and having no time pressure. I also enjoy that now it's more than just the six dungeons and a few dozen zones we had for, what, 5 expansions straight? F2Ps feast well with the sheer amount of content available nowadays.

More than anything though, for me it was about the challenge of doing it all solo. I hear that's way easier nowadays though thanks to some overpowered trinkets and shadowlands gems, and I imagine it'll be even easier with flying mounts. I even hear MM hunters have AoE now... Must be nice having all these things... :PepeHands:
As someone who has a great deal of items that allow for some pretty easy strategies, I can confidently say that they are nice, but they don't always make the game fun when they remove the challenge.

I haven't played much lately... I think I'm 2Edgy® for the modern game. When I do play, all I do is explore.

When I'm bored I'll usually run around old Thousand Needles or the uninstanced version of ZA. I just jump around on my DH until I break something.

Discovered that many of the Warlock demon customizations were account wide, so leveling a Nightborne Warlock with Inscription to try to get all the Legion Grimoires unlocked/completed. Plus, if Warband bank works on F2P it can be a way to share glyphs with other toons, especially Druid ones like Feral Chameleon that one has to relearn/apply after changing specification so that all specs have them available.

Sidenote: Will have to be a vet higher level Warlock to get the time-walking, raid ones done. Various Observer or some of the Imp ones via Karazhan/Return to Karazhan. Plus, the two via Warlock Class Hall require 5K and 15K gold to get and activate.

Also, made a bunch of Remix F2P toons mostly Monk, Druid and a few Hunters for post-remix F2P but also for getting as many of the Remix transmorg, toys and mounts as possible. Having more complete armor sets is nice, but most are Mists related so don't work/look okay on some classes/races as good.

Also gathering mats in the hopes of using the Warband bank first tab (if unlockable via F2P) to swap to other toons aka Arcanite Bar or items one profession can make for another profession to use.

I also mainly play F2P because I hate the feeling of having to "make the most of" my sub.

As for having fun as F2P:

- Endgame gearing is lame. I don't enjoy Blizzard's constant revolving door of chasing higher item level through whatever convoluted or arbitrary system they decide to implement during any particular patch or expansion. The gear treadmill is an alright concept, but not if I have to re-learn and grind through a slightly different system with slightly different hoops every patch cycle for slightly higher item level. At least gearing as a F2P is somewhat more stable.
- Pushing boundaries and F2P limits. Since F2P is pretty niche, there's lots of things to test, theorycraft, and set boundaries in. Since we're getting flying and a whole new expansion soon, I'm sure there's gonna be lots more things to test and potentially break.
- PVP... well, gearing for PVP. Like most people, PVP is the reason why most of got into twinking in the first place. Sadly, it looks like the heyday for F2P PVP is long over. But hey, doesn't stop us from gearing like it isn't.

With account-wide storage and the pre-patch on the horizon, there's still alot to prepare for and test out, so I've been doing that mostly. I think things like Remix and SoD are steps in the right direction to make PVE slightly more exciting, but someday I hope that they find a way to revitalize low-level PVP, hopefully by combining all non-max level brackets, but that might just be some hard copium.

Last edited:
I like to roleplay as a mime for the enjoyment of others and the detriment of my own health.

*Oh wait, you said fun

After a while away playing Cata and doing some other stuff, I back on the horse again. I finally hit 6000 chevie points, which is small potatoes compared with some legends here, but feelsgood. Playing Remix on a 20 has been a blast for mounts and mogs and some easy rep grinding. Generally tho, I just like the sandbox pve of FTP, and new expac and prepatch is something new to look forward to. PC is extremely potato now sadly, and will struggle a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread