80-89 80 Best in slot (PvE and PvP)

Do you even stance dance spar, because if you don't, you're missing out on some free damage.

Oh wait, bladestorm on single targets.

Stunggix, I'll get Kayer to make something better than this. Arms relies very heavily on Colossus smash (it isn't balanced without it), and chances are, this guy is lying, a lot. The best sims we could put out were around 18-20k dps, 28k is just too high, even given some of the fight lengths.

I play on US realms now so I can't stance dance, latency goes over what I find a comfortable level to stance dance in my rotation, so I haven't had a chance to test out my gear with stance dancing. Once I go back to an Oceanic realm I'll be doing it. Plus I'll get a long overdue Warrior guide put up.

Don't roll fury mate, it is a waste. Even though I stuck with it for a while at the start of Cata and tested it out later with Shadowmourne, it didn't have the sheer numbers that Arms had. I haven't been online in a few days but I'll be more than happy to make a guide for anyone interested on how to gear/spec and the rotation for the arms warrior in the 80 bracket. If you want to have a look at what I'm running with here is my Armory, if you play in the US bracket you should know me Spar @ Kargath - Game Guide - World of Warcraft

I'm still messing around with some stuff, just trying to find that sweet spot of what gear combo works and what doesn't but for now this spec and gear set seems to work well for me.

When my guild was running full 80 ICC25 HM, I was the workhorse on DPS. Even though the Arcane Mages were doing more dps, they only used one button.

For a standard fight you should be pulling a MINIMUM or 17-20k
For fights such as Saurfang, Marrowgar, Blood Queen, Lich King, you should be pulling well over 28k +

With the way mastery works for arms its extremely beneficial, the extra swings from memory have done more than 15% of my damage (note, I am sitting at 70% mastery). The other benefit to Arms is that you're not rage starved all the time. You always have enough rage to get off your full rotation and the damage is constant and sustained for whole fights.

Slam spec is a must at this point. it is your biggest filler attack, and when glyphed it is a big bonus. On AOE fights, such as Lich King phase 1, you would obviously replace Slam with Cleave on Inner Rage spams of course.

Rotation is as follows

Rend > Mortal Strike > Overpower > Slam to fill > repeat > Once Execute procs > Deadly Calm (it means no rage cost and = max damage) > After every full rotation replace Slam with Execute.

This is how your rotation should look on a normal fight without using Bladestorm

For bladestorm however, only use it when its at its most beneficial.

On single target fights, use it straight away. On add fights, wait until the adds spawn to use it.

Add fight rotation

Rend (main target) > Thunder Clap (to spread rend) > Golemblood Potion + Sweeping Strikes + Recklessness + Bladestorm = gg

This AOE rotation is hard hitting. On trash packs like SIndy I hit over 130k dps just from using a simple macro

I'll get into this more when I write up my guide. But hope this helped.

I have a few questions for you initially.

1. You say you're trying to find that sweet spot for gear combination and yet you're nearly 2% off hit-cap and 4 expertise off soft-cap, why? If you're going for a WotLK set, then 4pc with shoulders off-piece is by far the best combination I've come up with so far.

2. Why would you include Marrowgar, Saurfang and especially LK on fights where your dps should increase exponentially, or even compare them to BQL? The adds on Saurfang take 90% less damage from AOE-abilities, and as such your AoE will be wasted.

3. Your gemming, despite the fact that you're below the hit-cap, you choose to ignore the +6 str socket in your chest, why? The value of hit is higher than that of even strength until you're capped.

4. You say to replace slam with cleave where there's AoE.. Why would you not continue slamming if you can afford it? Your highest AoE-rotation is a rotation where you can focus on your single-target rotation while you weave in AoE-abilities, not ignore single-target completely.

5. Why would you not deadly calm early in the fight instead of saving it for execute-phases? If rage-income is as I suspect it is, then deadly calm would be a superior dps-increase when the fight begins rather than in execute-phases, seeing as you should have enough rage to sustain execute spam anyways.

6. Bladestorm single target, what on earth made you even think of this as a viable part of your single-target rotation? Bladestorm is only worth using when there are 3+ mobs within your range.

Also, as a side-question: Why are you specced into Tactical mastery when you say that you "cannot stance-dance"? At that point it would simply be a waste of talent points and are better put elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
This may be what you want: chardev 9

I've been thinking a lot about the strength of secondary stats recently. Given that Str has exactly the same weighting as it does at 85 (namely that it always provides 2 Ap per point, no matter what, buffs excluded), whereas hit, haste, crit and mastery all have buffed figures. Potentially, all of the useful secondary stats have 2-3x their value that they do at 85. Thus, I would say that it's worth matching practically all socket bonuses that grant strength/agi at 80, just because that at 85, 10 str is worth slightly less than 20 secondary, depending on class (it was worth it in t12 content to swap out, and it's more than worth it in t13 content).

Because level 80s are in the final tier of content for the level cap, scaling has gone out of control. We already know that mastery works better for frost, but it may be possible that some combination (namely what I've done in this chardev) works for other classes. I believe this holds true unless the spec in question holds some large buff to AP/SP (namely disc, unholy, combat, subtlety, etc).

I have some time off work next week, which I plan to use doing some mass theory-crafting to see if my theories are correct. Thankfully, the chardev I linked only matches 4 str or better socket bonuses, for each non-red socket. For any less powerful sockets (such as those found on tier 8 gear), further research would have to be done.

Just addressing this, as I forgot to. The chardev I made is focused entirely on resilience, with realistically obtainable items (I could've gone for the relentless ring, but the only way to get it now is 25M koralon/10M toravon, on an extremely low drop chance). It has more than enough healing output, as the set also has 40% crit (more if you run with any class that provides buffs to crit), and if you carry around the naxxramas 25 frost resistance pieces (ring, belt, boots and chest), you'll be only really killable by shadowpriests and rogues. Less PvP gear was viable early expansion, but as more and more people play this bracket, and discover the absurdly powerful burst classes (notably frost and subtlety), it helps to have a defense against them.

Edit: Updated OP with prot warrior/paladin sets, as well as the ones mentioned earlier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would anyone like to help me out abit with a bis for blood dk tanking? And I'm not talking about soloin stuff, just plain tanking :)
Abit confused if I should go for stamina or mastery, or if haste scales better for more DS= more absrbs..
I guess anything works, but do anyone knows if the one of them are better than the other? :)

Cheers :)

Thanks alot :)
Tho would it be the same bracers if I had BS?
But ye , probably not since there aren't any 300+ bracers with avoidance

Blacksmithing is only great if you want like...max mastery without using engineering (as you get 90 mastery from gems, (100 if you use the crafted int ones) and want stamina instead of the proc trinket). Blacksmithing at 80 if you intend to use ICC gear, isn't good at all, when compared to other professions.

Inscription is basically a flat 130 str, minus 40 AP. the bonus is that you get 10 extra crit as well, which only sweetens the deal. The optimal setup is leveling LW for leg enchant (extra 80 AP and 10 crit for basically nothing), then dropping it for inscription. Blacksmithing and jewelcrafting unfortunately, suffer from what makes them good at the level caps, in that we can't put the best gems in all our gear (and the few specs/classes that can use all three chimaera's eyes are usually replacing epic gems, which means only a 51 stat gain, which is barely better than the wotlk professions anyway.)

hm, okey so its possible to lvl up LW and then drop it for inscr, and still keep the leg enchant? Sounds like fun :)

Users who are viewing this thread