49's Gear Guide (best practice) + Rares to farm

As I'm gearing up one of my 49's without SL content of any kind, I'm finding a few pcs here and there that are superior throughput to even as high as iLvL 92 SL gear. I'm referring to iLvL 57 Dungeon/Quest gear from various XPacs. Granted, you'll lose a little bit of Armor and a fair bit of Stam (18 Stam and 8 Armor for the Mail Legs I found as example). It's going to take a long time to truly figure out BiS for 49's, and some help from Blizz fixing the Chromie Time bug. Here's an example:

iLvL 57 to 92 comparison.jpg

Also, @ShinyHero believes that in certain cases, getting the Gear you'll wear at 49 with a maximum iLvL of 50 might be superior due to being capable of Enchanting the item. I have no gear to compare this against so can't offer advise one way or another.

Last edited:
Honestly, I'd rather grind TBC for 49 gear than do that SL nonsense anymore. I'll look into it later on today...

edit- wait, since we cant do chromie time... can we party sync in dungeons? :mad:

@DeLindsay do you know you can still get into previous xpac scaled dungeons at 48+? I went in yesterday by partying with a low level who enabled Chromietime, then party-sync with them.

@DeLindsay do you know you can still get into previous xpac scaled dungeons at 48+? I went in yesterday by partying with a low level who enabled Chromietime, then party-sync with them.
I know now... I actually had thought about trying this just hadn't gotten around to it, thanks.
[doublepost=1608547614,1608547416][/doublepost]
Honestly, I'd rather grind TBC for 49 gear than do that SL nonsense anymore. I'll look into it later on today...

edit- wait, since we cant do chromie time... can we party sync in dungeons? :mad:
I'm so sick of NOT getting Epic proc'd Rare gear I want to off myself already. Granted, it's loads easier in some cases than TBC Dungeons due to how bad Players are these days. Some of those like Mechanar, Shattered Halls, etc, are no joke if you have a group of derps.

EDIT: Aslo, on the topic of HP difference. My 49 without SL gear and maybe ~25% BiS has ~8K Health. My 49's in full SL gear and Renown 2 have ~10.5K Health. In a PvE Environment it's no loss at all. PvP of course is a different matter but then you run into the issue of no pops due to XPOff being in their own BG's. For WPvP, 49's can't even kill locked 50's in many cases and there's no way in hell we're taking on even a shit geared 60.

EDIT2: That non-SL geared 49 (Ele Shammy) is already doing similar DPS as my full SL geared 49's. I have a feeling once she's BiS her DPS will beat all but my 49 Hunter (during burst when he reaches ~1200 DPS).

Last edited:
Ok @DeLindsay got some very weird shit going on...
Check your BoE drops you got on your 49's that have a higher than 49 requirement. Seems the level 50 thing is 49 too.
(I'd rather it not get fixed but I'll post the screenie just the same.)

ygZGiIq.png

edit- and how do you do the spoiler thing here? Pics like that I'd rather put in those.

Last edited:
Ok @DeLindsay got some very weird shit going on...

Check your BoE drops you got on your 49's that have a higher than 49 requirement. Seems the level 50 thing is 49 too.
(I'd rather it not get fixed but I'll post the screenie just the same.)

ygZGiIq.png

edit- and how do you do the spoiler thing here? Pics like that I'd rather put in those.

(I'd rather it not get fixed but I'll post the screenie just the same.) Oh yea that makes sense :/

Yes the BOE blues ignore the level requirement, I have cloaks and shields. Notice my DH armory, the actual armory item says required 49 rather than what it shoes in game. Its all bugged to heck.

Well that's a pretty big deal, thanks for sharing earlier.... :rolleyes:
Well, i'd rather prolong the oversight rather than people banging on about it on forums, for obvious reasons, and the fact that its a bug and will be fixed shortly. No point focusing your attention on broken its the eventually get fixed (I have shared legit stuff on this tread so hopefully that can compensate).

Last edited:
@DeLindsay @Warglave @dirtypaws so is that blues/glaive boe you looted yourself? Or was it in the AH, that used to say 49? Or it just lets you wear it even tho it always had said higher level than you?

what I’m trying to get at is, am I buying all the glaives in the AH and looking for which can be worn? Or how does that work. 140 ilvl is the same ilvl as nzoth+carapace mythic loot, but they don’t drop a weapon for DH, so that glaive item is literally bis. I would buy epic shadowlands upgrade for the boost and make a nightfae 50 veng DH “the hunt” 1-shotter, building off the boe glaives if you can still get usable ones lol

I ended up finding a 114 ilvl lvl 54 agility staff I could use at 50, didn’t try a lower level

I believe the cause of this would be some bug in the code with regards to how the SL zones are normally NOT level scaled. the threads of fate scaling is doing something to the items most likely

Last edited:
@DeLindsay @Warglave @dirtypaws so is that blues/glaive boe you looted yourself? Or was it in the AH, that used to say 49? Or it just lets you wear it even tho it always had said higher level than you?

what I’m trying to get at is, am I buying all the glaives in the AH and looking for which can be worn? Or how does that work. 140 ilvl is the same ilvl as nzoth+carapace mythic loot, but they don’t drop a weapon for DH, so that glaive item is literally bis. I would buy epic shadowlands upgrade for the boost and make a nightfae 50 veng DH “the hunt” 1-shotter, building off the boe glaives if you can still get usable ones lol

I ended up finding a 114 ilvl lvl 54 agility staff I could use at 50, didn’t try a lower level

I believe the cause of this would be some bug in the code with regards to how the SL zones are normally NOT level scaled. the threads of fate scaling is doing something to the items most likely
Hi, looted myself. As a test I did take one of them, traded it then it lost its ability to be equipped. So purchasing from the ah will not be possible. I’ll link my other chats who have some other stuff when I log on my computer.
The off hand on my priest is ilvl 122 and req 53 in-game.
Evangelical - Character (worldofwarcraft.com)

These were obtained from chests, so using a combination of handy notes and going looting in TOF, but most chests are not even visible at 49, like I said its all bugged all over the place so I haven't been investing alot of time into it.

Last edited:
@zazzyfraz yes, those BoE Blue Glaives were looted by 49's. @Warglave highlight the picture/text and click the + on the Ribbon.
its interesting that the green world drop boes dont lose the usability. i got a 113ilvl agi 54 staff off the AH i could wear.

so this looks like any of the items with a fixed minimum ilvl you get off a rare/event/1 time chest, in ToF, will be wearable even though it says higher level req? but you cant trade them and still be able to wear for some reason if its boe (fallen cape/warglaive). does this specific group of items only come from chests that drop after rares/events?

and then greens looted from chests also are the same, but can be traded and still worn?

curious about the 176ilvl intellect dagger now, world drop https://www.wowhead.com/npc=165270/royal-arcanist#drops

Last edited:
its interesting that the green world drop boes dont lose the usability. i got a 113ilvl agi 54 staff off the AH i could wear.

so this looks like any of the items with a fixed minimum ilvl you get off a rare/event/1 time chest, in ToF, will be wearable even though it says higher level req? but you cant trade them and still be able to wear for some reason if its boe (fallen cape/warglaive). does this specific group of items only come from chests that drop after rares/events?

and then greens looted from chests also are the same, but can be traded and still worn?

curious about the 176ilvl intellect dagger now, world drop https://www.wowhead.com/npc=165270/royal-arcanist#drops
I just checked on my 49's, and they had a few greens I obtained from my various activities. Interestingly when I tried to equip some of them I got a 'requires level 50' to equip, even though they required level 53 etc, so perhaps greens can be equipped at 50.

To answer your question on the blues, I only found 4 or so chests than can contain an equipable boe at 49 that has a higher item level. The cloak you saw in my profile, a shield laying on the ground in Maldraxxus, the off hand in Ardenweald and the glaive your already familiar with. I have looted some chests and they contain req lvl 60, and those cannot be equipped by my 49. I'm sure there is loads more out there but some chests dont even appear at 49 yet they do at higher levels.

I definitely noticed something off when I first saw the boes ranging from 80-93ilvl for 50s. The 93ilvl ones would say 54 on armory profiles.

sadly I am only left with my hunter in my sig on Shadowlands. I’m not trying to wait a 30 day cd for my other 2 when trying to return to bfa, and i am not allowed any automated refunds for a few months.

Would be pretty cool to find a hunter weapon above 140 ilvl. Might have to check out the 1-time chests in a couple zones that have a guaranteed green boe drop

I definitely noticed something off when I first saw the boes ranging from 80-93ilvl for 50s. The 93ilvl ones would say 54 on armory profiles.

sadly I am only left with my hunter in my sig on Shadowlands. I’m not trying to wait a 30 day cd for my other 2 when trying to return to bfa, and i am not allowed any automated refunds for a few months.

Would be pretty cool to find a hunter weapon above 140 ilvl. Might have to check out the 1-time chests in a couple zones that have a guaranteed green boe drop
I'm in the process of levelling aload of my old 49's to 59 (most my sig characters), anything I can test at 50 to help you out?

I'm in the process of levelling aload of my old 49's to 59 (most my sig characters), anything I can test at 50 to help you out?

nothing specific comes to mind other than the chests that have guaranteed greens
c.PNG

like this one in ardenweald.

then maybe https://www.wowhead.com/npc=160448/hunter-vivanna and her 176ilvl helmets such as https://www.wowhead.com/item=179594/witherscorn-guise?bonus=6911

and then theres some BoP treasures such as https://www.wowhead.com/object=354650/dreamsong-heart with https://www.wowhead.com/item=179510/dreamsong-warglaive?bonus=6935

also: i bought a random green off the AH, the same staff that i bought on a different character that showed up in a 50 search. this one wasnt in a 50 search. it gave level 50 req error to use. im 50. just shows how buggy this stuff is in the background

Prob wont get onto the game until Friday but i'll try looting those on my 60 and sending to a 50 (I cant face doing the maw again), im levelling these up by pet battles hopefully by the time i want to play my 59's we have a skip the maw option.

so this looks like any of the items with a fixed minimum ilvl you get off a rare/event/1 time chest, in ToF, will be wearable even though it says higher level req?

Yeah, but like others said it isnt so cut and dry... I looted the chest in Bastion for the cloak and could equip the cloak itseslf but none of the BoE greens that dropped out of the chest along with it. Be nice to figure it out and it's not game-braking so could last a little bit at least. Not like we're melting bosses, 49 kinda sucks TBH... who's really gonna care? :p

Users who are viewing this thread