10-19 2015 TC Discussion, Planning, Indiegogo

Would you prefer a community stream or Gamers-League stream?

• Community Stream

Votes: 102 55.7%
  • Gamers-League

Votes: 81 44.3%

• Total voters
Awesome that there is another one of these happening, i'll be sure to drop some cash into the prizepool.
Hopefully GSC will be able to attend in full force.

Another thing thats worth mentioning is that teams should really research and protect themselves from ddos attacks this year, otherwise it's just going to happen all over again.

Awesome that there is another one of these happening, i'll be sure to drop some cash into the prizepool.
Hopefully GSC will be able to attend in full force.

Another thing thats worth mentioning is that teams should really research and protect themselves from ddos attacks this year, otherwise it's just going to happen all over again.
www.hidemyass.com

What party? I am back and Skill Ratio have dodged our premade team. How can you defend when you run away like cowards? I like you, but lets be honest Skill Ratio is mediocre at best and everyone knows it except the people in Skill Ratio.

It was an expression of speech :p I haven't been around this past week since pizza left for school so that is the first I have heard of any premade.. From what I saw in chat we're getting our monk transferred over this week and we should have our 10. You know me I just wanna play.
[MENTION=18295]Blurz[/MENTION] 12 stack had a brotha taking no chances, didn't see the hunter die in tunn :rolleyes:

I'll throw some money in the pot on behalf of MYT.

Regarding the DDos, it's odd that nobody engaged the FBI on that. People go to prison for that sort of stuff for years, especially in a tournament with multi-thousand dollars on the line. I get DDos attacked or any other felonious hack over playing this game and I'll be on the phone filing a report by the next morning. DB's aren't as anonymous as they think they are.

I want to stress how important twitter is in the world of modern marketing. Companies love to be seen interacting with the community and they're always trying to stay "ahead of the trend". If #TwinkCup started trending on twitter tomorrow I guarantee there would be dozens of companies wanting to sponsor it. The age 16-24 demographic is coveted in marketing because they are resistant to conventional advertising, they are seen as having large amounts of disposable income, and they are considered the driving force behind deciding what's "cool" and what's not.

Companies sponsor esports and sporting events not just for advertising or brand image, but also because they want to transfer some of the passion that people feel towards a sport or game towards their company. By supporting something that people care about they give the fans the sense of having a personal stake in that company, and the more niche the thing they're sponsoring is the more this feeling is amplified. Some people might feel like the community isn't large enough for it to make a difference but being a passionate community is almost equally as important as being a large community. If every person that's liked this thread also tweeted at Monster Energy they would at the very least respond, and a public response from a major company at the very least creates more exposure.

A person like Pizza creating a twitter for himself or his team also exponentially increases his chances of getting a personal or team sponsorship if the tournament goes well and his team wins, especially if a large community twitter presence in the months leading up to the tournament has already attracted the attention of companies. If twinks take to twitter in droves there is no guarantee that there will sponsorships, but there is a guarantee that it will generate attention, and it's almost a certainty that there won't be major sponsorships without a large twitter presence. A closed mouth doesn't get fed.

I want to stress how important twitter is in the world of modern marketing. Companies love to be seen interacting with the community and they're always trying to stay "ahead of the trend". If #TwinkCup started trending on twitter tomorrow I guarantee there would be dozens of companies wanting to sponsor it. The age 16-24 demographic is coveted in marketing because they are resistant to conventional advertising, they are seen as having large amounts of disposable income, and they are considered the driving force behind deciding what's "cool" and what's not.

Companies sponsor esports and sporting events not just for advertising or brand image, but also because they want to transfer some of the passion that people feel towards a sport or game towards their company. By supporting something that people care about they give the fans the sense of having a personal stake in that company, and the more niche the thing they're sponsoring is the more this feeling is amplified. Some people might feel like the community isn't large enough for it to make a difference but being a passionate community is almost equally as important as being a large community. If every person that's liked this thread also tweeted at Monster Energy they would at the very least respond, and a public response from a major company at the very least creates more exposure.

A person like Pizza creating a twitter for himself or his team also exponentially increases his chances of getting a personal or team sponsorship if the tournament goes well and his team wins, especially if a large community twitter presence in the months leading up to the tournament has already attracted the attention of companies. If twinks take to twitter in droves there is no guarantee that there will sponsorships, but there is a guarantee that it will generate attention, and it's almost a certainty that there won't be major sponsorships without a large twitter presence. A closed mouth doesn't get fed.

Very much agree with this 100%!

Will be sure to create a twitter now and do as much as I can :)

Great idea!

I appreciate you setting up tournaments and such but this is the most overly optimistic thing I have read in this thread.

As someone who has been following max level PvP for over 6 years now, I can assure you that it is rare that ANY company sponsor a WoW "Team" or tournament. I might be wrong on this one but there is only ONE professionally sponsored World of Warcraft 3v3 team at max level (Evil Geniuses - The Team - World of Warcraft).

There were two major community run tournaments in the US for WoW PvP since Cata, NAO and PvP-Live. I don't think either of these tournaments had any outside sponsorships.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhDG8v6YDAE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgQedS5dWsQ

The twink cup is a fun thing to compete in but I assure you that it is completely misguided to think that any professional sponsorship will come. The tournaments mentioned above had nearly 30,000 concurrent viewers, the last twink cup had only a fraction of that. The twink community is far too small to garnish any outside interest.

I appreciate you setting up tournaments and such but this is the most overly optimistic thing I have read in this thread.

As someone who has been following max level PvP for over 6 years now, I can assure you that it is rare that ANY company sponsor a WoW "Team" or tournament. I might be wrong on this one but there is only ONE professionally sponsored World of Warcraft 3v3 team at max level (Evil Geniuses - The Team - World of Warcraft).

There were two major community run tournaments in the US for WoW PvP since Cata, NAO and PvP-Live. I don't think either of these tournaments had any outside sponsorships.

The twink cup is a fun thing to compete in but I assure you that it is completely misguided to think that any professional sponsorship will come. The tournaments mentioned above had nearly 30,000 concurrent viewers, the last twink cup had only a fraction of that. The twink community is far too small to garnish any outside interest.
It's not just about sponsorships it's about exposure. I did a cursory search of both of those tournaments and most of the players listed on pvp-live's current twitch page have professional, sponsored teams. Pvp-live is also a twitch partner which means they were probably on the front page of twitch when they hosted their tournament. They describe Blizzard as a "partner" so I wouldn't be surprised if they got money from Blizzard as well, their tournament had a $3000 prize pool which is an amount that doesn't require you to get Blizzard's direct permission. 3v3 tournaments have also been hosted by MLG which is an organization that gets most of their money from sponsorships, and I would imagine many of the participating teams were sponsored.

There reaches a point where the size of the specific community directly participating in the event doesn't matter that much. Most of the 30k watching those tournaments weren't gladiators and probably didn't play 3s very competitively, and many of them probably didn't play 3s at all but were just fans of WoW as a whole. The most popular game types in Starcraft 2 are custom, user created, non competitive modes, and 1v1 is probably the least popular competitive game type, yet there have been $100k+ 1v1 tournaments, and 1v1 players signed by teams for over $100k, with teams, tournaments, and even individual players all being heavily sponsored.

The goal of any event organizer shouldn't be to limit themselves to the specific niche community of their event, but to try to attract the interest of fans of the game, other similar games, or competitive gaming in general. The last Twink Cup was only the beginning of something that will hopefully become much larger. You should never limit your ambitions based on the successes or failure of others. pvp-net had a $3000 prize pool, should I lower my goal for this year's tournament to $3000 because that's the most that someone else was able to achieve?

If the whole community adopts your mentality it will only stifle the opportunity for growth, and I think we as a community have a lot of potential to create something to rival not only the tournaments you've posted but also organizations like mlg or gsl. Small dreams only create small outcomes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread