Veteran Edition account (6.1 update)

Are you saying run out of time while leveling beyond 20?

Like, if they don't handle it right, you've got a character on a Veteran account that's 20, and they aren't xp-locked, and as you're playing on your 20 you accidentally ding to 21 and suddenly can't log in to your character anymore.

Like, if they don't handle it right, you've got a character on a Veteran account that's 20, and they aren't xp-locked, and as you're playing on your 20 you accidentally ding to 21 and suddenly can't log in to your character anymore.

Argh yep, that would suck. I expect us to be able to lock xp tbh. But something to watch out for if not...

That might affect F2P Dk's when you log in. I really hope it doesn't.

Argh yep, that would suck. I expect us to be able to lock xp tbh. But something to watch out for if not...

Can't lock exp as a trial. That's why im curious if it locks you at 20, or lets you go ahead and ding 21 then locks you out. I don't think we'll know until live. Personally, i think the entire thing is lazy, even if it is a small buff to f2ps. For one, you can't even log onto your "main" characters everybody knows you as if it's above lvl 20, so you would have to create a new toon that nobody knows you as. After doing so you wouldnt even be able to whisper the people in your guild to ask for an invite. Lastly, all that assumes your inactive character wasn't booted out of the guild, making the entire thing potentially pointless. It'll be easy for us because we all use the f2p addon, but were not their target demo. They're asking whoever this is aimed at to jump through 30 hoops and maybe get lucky.

However, if you have ever had a subscription--but don’t currently have one--we don’t even let you log in. In 6.1 we’ll effectively revert lapsed accounts into a Starter Edition “mode”, with all of the same restrictions. The one difference being that your sub-level 20 characters will be able to join a guild if any of your other characters are still in that guild.

Can't lock exp as a trial. That's why im curious if it locks you at 20, or lets you go ahead and ding 21 then locks you out.

I think you are thinking of this as a starter account or a linked starter.. This is a paid account that has run out of time which now has trial restrictions placed on it. You can ding 21 no problem but if you run out of time you won't be able to log that character. While you have time you can AH, chat, join guilds, it's all there. Locking XP as well. I guess the question is how do they handle that. I can't see them taking gold away from you. Nor can I see them adjusting your XP on/XP off without your permission... that could really screw up a lot of 19 twinks. Now can you visit the XP vendor and lock while out of time, probably not. But I don't think there will be adjusting your stuff every time you buy/run out of time. I expect limitations to be placed but no further action based on previous stuff (XP, gold, AH usage, guild joining, etc) But yea, it's speculation at this point.

I think there might be some over-speculating about this. It seems to me, this is merely a change to save having to link trial accounts. That's about it. Nothing to get too excited about.

If you don't have an active sub, I am sure you'll just cap out at 20 like on starter account. The danger would be leveling above 20 while you had active sub and then letting your sub lapse.

I think there might be some over-speculating about this. It seems to me, this is merely a change to save having to link trial accounts. That's about it. Nothing to get too excited about.

Nah but this is totally different. One is a seperate account that is a starter. And another is a paid account that runs out of time an has trial restrictions placed on it. One has the ability to do everything a p2p can...

Edit: Ok let me rephrase that. Starter, p2p, none of it matters. All this means is if you buy time and run out you revert back to trial. It doesn't matter if you are linked or have a "pure" trial or anything. You buy time, you gear up your 20, you run out of time, you still play. Matters not what "account" it's called.

Can you still be a pure trial, sure. Just never buy time. But both will allow you to play forever.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're paying, it's technically no longer a veteran account. Veteran is essentially the ability to start a trial with your dormant unpaid account. There's more of an enticement maybe to then pay and advance the trial and less work for customer service linking trials. I don't think there's anything else to this.

I think you are thinking of this as a starter account or a linked starter.. This is a paid account that has run out of time which now has trial restrictions placed on it. You can ding 21 no problem but if you run out of time you won't be able to log that character. While you have time you can AH, chat, join guilds, it's all there. Locking XP as well. I guess the question is how do they handle that. I can't see them taking gold away from you. Nor can I see them adjusting your XP on/XP off without your permission... that could really screw up a lot of 19 twinks. Now can you visit the XP vendor and lock while out of time, probably not. But I don't think there will be adjusting your stuff every time you buy/run out of time. I expect limitations to be placed but no further action based on previous stuff (XP, gold, AH usage, guild joining, etc) But yea, it's speculation at this point.

we’ll effectively revert lapsed accounts into a Starter Edition “mode”, with all of the same restrictions.

The only restriction that changes when your account lapses is access to a guild under the single stipulation that you have a character already in said guild. Dinging 21 and being locked out is exactly what i was curious about while your account has been reverted. (Like paid accounts that have had their credit cards cancelled and refunded) Kincaide explained it to you. Here's another question, what if your sub 20 character is already in a guild at the time of your account being reverted. Are you booted out? Do you even need to have a character in the guild? etc. It is speculation, all i have to go on at this point is past and present knowledge of the way WoW works.

Edit: this wouldnt bother 19s at all. Assuming it has exactly the same restrictions minus the single guild restriction, then theoretically your exp off would kick back on and send you right into the 20s. This happened during cata, and it was hotfixed. There are no grandfathered 19 f2p twinks.

we’ll effectively revert lapsed accounts into a Starter Edition “mode”, with all of the same restrictions.

The only restriction that changes when your account lapses is access to a guild under the single stipulation that you have a character already in said guild. Dinging 21 and being locked out is exactly what i was curious about while your account has been reverted. (Like paid accounts that have had their credit cards cancelled and refunded) Kincaide explained it to you. Here's another question, what if your sub 20 character is already in a guild at the time of your account being reverted. Are you booted out? Do you even need to have a character in the guild? etc. It is speculation, all i have to go on at this point is past and present knowledge of the way WoW works.

But you have access to your post-20 characters, correct?

At least that's what I'm getting from all of this. You can still access your P2P characters, you just have trial restrictions on them.

This means that it would be "F2P" to twink at any level. You'd just have to set everything up before you ran out of time on your subscription.

NO. That was stated very clearly.
Again, I think there's a lot of over-speculating going on. It's not that complicated, or that exciting a change.

Okay, regardless - you would be able to own a level 19 twink without having to pay a subscription.

That seems fairly exciting to people like me, who enjoy competitive PvP but don't want to pay for it.

[Edit: this wouldnt bother 19s at all. Assuming it has exactly the same restrictions minus the single guild restriction, then theoretically your exp off would kick back on and send you right into the 20s. This happened during cata, and it was hotfixed. There are no grandfathered 19 f2p twinks.

Ok so you have an account. It has a 19 twink. You have XP off. You run out of time. Trials don't have XP off, they have just reached cap.

So they would then CHANGE you XP settings: turn on your XP and cap you at a possible of level 20. You start BGing. You are placed in an XP on BG. You ding 20.

I really doubt this will happen. Which is why I'm saying if you lock XP on your account and run out of time expect to stay at 19 as a "trial" Are you going to be able to mess with XP settings when you are out of time, I really doubt it. That's the part that gets restricted. But I don't see them fussing with current settings, it seems really dangerous for twinks...

Its the same thing with gold, if you have 1k gold on your paid account 20 and you run out of time are they just taking the 990 extra?

Okay, regardless - you would be able to own a level 19 twink without having to pay a subscription.

That seems fairly exciting to people like me, who enjoy competitive PvP but don't want to pay for it.

You could have a 19 while subbed, sure. Can't lock while lapsed. You wouldnt be able to access anything post 20. Like DKs for example, or like i mentioned earlier cancelling/refunding your credit cards after leveling a toon past 20. I'm just guessing this how it's going to work, because the only difference i see is being able to access the inactive account, being able to access 20 and below characters, and being able to join a guild you already have a character in (from when you were subbed). I'm betting you'll stay in a guild you were already in at the time of your account lapsing. Assuming you were 20 and below.

What this means is, assuming they exp cap your 20, and stop you from leveling to 21 and locking yourself out of the character (like starter accounts currently function) you could basically twink out a 20 with p2p stuff.

Full p2p enchants, gear, armor kits, full bank slots, reagent tab, bigger bags, guild perks. Professions maxed out to whatever the cap is at 20 w/o trial restrictions.

Personally, I'd trade all the p2p gear and enchants in the world for lighter restrictions. Being able to actually use chats, form parties, a larger gold cap, or none. Access too the AH, profession caps removed would be wonderful. I mean, these are "paying" players, obviously not gold spammers at that point. The only people who are going to benefit from this, as it currently stands, are trial twinks. The restrictions are too numerous and tight to be easily navigated by anyone other than those who have figured out the system.

Ok so you have an account. It has a 19 twink. You have XP off. You run out of time. Trials don't have XP off, they have just reached cap.

So they would then CHANGE you XP settings: turn on your XP and cap you at a possible of level 20. You start BGing. You are placed in an XP on BG. You ding 20.

I really doubt this will happen. Which is why I'm saying if you lock XP on your account and run out of time expect to stay at 19 as a "trial" Are you going to be able to mess with XP settings when you are out of time, I really doubt it. That's the part that gets restricted. But I don't see them fussing with current settings, it seems really dangerous for twinks...

Its the same thing with gold, if you have 1k gold on your paid account 20 and you run out of time are they just taking the 990 extra?

This is exactly what happened in Cataclysm.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3342097398

Aradiel most likely nailed the gold thing here

It doesn't get reduced. You just can't get more.

Again, we don't really know. All we have to go on is what's been stated, and the way wow has worked in the past/present.

OK... here's my speculation on the XP lock: I'm betting that once you pay for an account, all characters are designated part of that paid account. Once your subscription lapses, you can start NEW characters and level to 20 as trial but will not have access to any characters played while you were subscribed. In effect, you won't have access to twinked 19's or even previously played level 5's once you've unsubscribed.

The names on accounts seem to be getting confusing. Here's how i see it. There are 2 account types:
Starter and P2P

Starter is you download a starter of the game and play. You've never paid anything. That s all

P2P is everything else. it doesn't matter if you are an existing starter that has now paid for 1 month of you have (4) 100s and all the expansions, it doesn't matter 1 bit. It's all the same, it's a paid account. If you run out of time you are locked to "starter" restrictions. Pay again and you are fully unlocked. Have all those 100s but run out of time? You can't play them. But you can play an alt sub 21 or level a new character up to 20.

"Veteran" doesn't mean anything, they've already said that.

I've place my bet on that and hold it. Once you pay, all characters on your veteran account get tagged as part of that paid account (including any sub-21 twinks you've created). Unsubscribe, and you lose access to all previous characters, but can start new ones with trial restrictions. Less wishful thinking, more business sense.

Users who are viewing this thread