Veteran Edition account (6.1 update)

When I first heard the term twink I thought it was some reference to Twinkies, and I just thought "Mmm, I want Twinkies now..."

Twinkies are grandfathered IRL now :/

K let's get nuts with the speculation about Veteran Accounts, cause I can't wait anymore lol

My opinion is that this is Blizzards response to Trials and their desire to be linked to their Mains. I think they've experience a higher than normal amount of tickets requesting a GM link the accounts. But most importantly, they see (monetary) value in these links. My guess is that linked accounts log on to and buy time for their mains considerably more than if you had 2 separate accounts. And why not, we can farm pets/mounts/titles/soon to be BoA. Although this market is small, it's bigger than just trials like you might think. This is the "I don't have money to play every month crowd, but I still want to play/be involved". Look at it from this standpoint, would Blizzard rather you forgot about WoW for 3 months until you can log back in with gametime... Or would they rather you be in game, wishing you could play, farming stuff on a lesser account, and longing for that P2P?

My guess is they want to split true trials away from this. Let the trials test out the game. Let's keep the majority of the F2P crowd engaged in higher content so they want to come back/buy time more often.

So what does that mean for Veterans? Here's my guesses of what we can expect.

-Level Cap: We know it's here, its been datamined. I saw a post of someone suggesting it would be 1 expansion behind the current. I think that makes the most sense. The entry to start this game pretty high, even though they do what they can to bundle previous expansions. Why not just give all accounts everything but the latest one? Maybe wishful thinking, we'll have to see.

-Gold Cap: It's datamined, it's something.

-Guilds: This is a huge driver for my theories about what this account is for. You can be in the guild so long as you have a previous character in there. So bam, your main and your veteran. You want to talk about a driver to purchase more time... how about we let you remain in the guild (on a lessser account) and all your guild members are encouraging you to get back in and play your main...

If it goes down like this I'll be starting a raiding guild at whatever expansion they stop at, so stay tuned if you are itching to PvE. We'll be doing every raid, in order and staying true to the expansion with class restrictions. Shadowmourne anyone?

Unfortunately it might be a long time before we see this... I was hoping for 6.1 but i have my doubts now. My guess is they are testing out a new account type and forgot to remove it from the first launch of PTR. I haven't seen any response from Blizzard and the patch is probably less than a month away. It might not be until 6.2.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thoughts?

I think you've pretty much nailed it. All the ways you mentioned where a veteran account is going to constantly be dangling paid content in the faces of former subscribers like us. that's a really wise move on Blizzard's part. Just think of all the people with lapsed accounts who never think about the game, who are now going to be able to play a limited version for free, and as you said be -constantly- reminded of what else they could have by paying some money,. Very smart move for them. And brilliant for us, I might add.

Not to be the Debby Downer here, but recall that these are datamined, not announced. This could be a feature that will never be added or it could just be Blizzard screwing with us. Remember Medivh's Big Birthday Bash?

That said, I'm really hoping for a more privileged account. There's been a lot of cool theories tossed around in here. ^_^

the difference is you can (as long as you have a sub) fully gear your lvl 20 (with p2p stuff) and then play him without paying

Something interesting about that is that players who have 19s that are fully BIS, and don't need to access their mains anymore, could let their subscriptions lapse, and keep playing. Likewise with level 20 P2Ps. Then if they ever needed to update gear or whatever they could get game time, but they would no longer be required to keep paying as long as their 19s or 20s are the only characters they're playing.

Something interesting about that is that players who have 19s that are fully BIS, and don't need to access their mains anymore, could let their subscriptions lapse, and keep playing. Likewise with level 20 P2Ps. Then if they ever needed to update gear or whatever they could get game time, but they would no longer be required to keep paying as long as their 19s or 20s are the only characters they're playing.
This seems ridiculous, I doubt it's going to end up like this.
If that's the case tho however I'm going to put a month of time on my old account and make a ton of low level twinks and reap the benefits when mommy cuts me off from my sub. :cool:

Keep in mind people who had f2p characters with xp locked at 19 had it turned back on when a hotfix was put in place. So don't think you'll be able to play 19 Twinks this way.

https://cynwise.wordpress.com/2011/10/11/f2p-unable-to-lock-xp/

Keep in mind people who had f2p characters with xp locked at 19 had it turned back on when a hotfix was put in place. So don't think you'll be able to play 19 Twinks this way.

https://cynwise.wordpress.com/2011/10/11/f2p-unable-to-lock-xp/

Oh can you imagine how much that would suck, for 19s players to have their account lapse, and then keep playing on their veteran edition thinking everything was fine, until they leveled? I would be beside myself.

Assuming this goes through, there's absolutely no reason not to spend the $5. If vets really do have the same restrictions as F2P, I wonder what that means for pet battles and accessing the guild bank. Perhaps you'd have to gear and chant while your sub is active. Currently F2P in guild can not access the guild bank. Ah, purity, you're looking even more pointless.

For those wondering, you can still log into your F2P game right now, and then click on "upgrade now" before you log in, and get the battle chest for $5.

Assuming this goes through, there's absolutely no reason not to spend the $5. If vets really do have the same restrictions as F2P, I wonder what that means for pet battles and accessing the guild bank. Perhaps you'd have to gear and chant while your sub is active. Currently F2P in guild can not access the guild bank. Ah, purity, you're looking even more pointless.

For those wondering, you can still log into your F2P game right now, and then click on "upgrade now" before you log in, and get the battle chest for $5.

That's a really good point. Not to mention that, dare I even bring this up, veteran f2ps will have access to all those enchants and leg armors...

This is going to blur the bejeezus out of the line between F2P and P2P, never even mind the purity argument.

I still think this should be a feature to let unsubbed p2p accounts level to 60 max until they resub. That bracket needs light again. And if that's so, it needs a raid finder for those old school raids.

Users who are viewing this thread