Magrain

Veteran
So, its been a wild ride.
Blizzard has made the most groundbreaking patch ever, to most of the twinking community, to the f2p accounts. It certainly felt like a breathe of fresh air, definitely a memorable experience.
To wrap things up, I want to hear your experiences gentlemen.
-What was the game to you in those weeks of Pre-Patch. What was the most difficult experience/Hardest decisions. what was your favorite thing that ever happened, what was your least favorite thing?
-What triumph and glory have you made during those weeks of the SL Pre-Patch?
-What was the hardest gear/item/BiS bits and bobs you ever obtained?
Feel free to post your thoughts, playthrough of the pre-patch and talk about your experience.

Last edited:
- Hardest decision was and still is deciding should I level up from 27 to 29 with both of my old 70s. Warrior makes more sense for gaining berserker rage ability and mythic heirloom scaling up in damage, but I'm afraid of loosing stat scaling from those 2 lvl gains.
- Favorite thing that happened was one shotting two twinks in arena with one execute proc with sweeping strikes active (Crits more than 3k)
- Triumph and Glory would be the purge of Gorgorond zone of horde players with a resto druid buddy, some epic 2v5+ happened.
- Hardest item to get would be the neck from Maw of Souls which still hasn't dropped for me although I can't say I've put much effort into getting it either so its alright.
Overall I like the prepatch for twinking just wished the hype didn't die so fast seeing as each day theres less and less queue pops.

Active azerite traits on levels 10-20 was super fun for that week or so that we had them. It added a ton of flavor and even more damage. Seemed like every time I entered a dungeon I had at least one person whisper “how the fuck are you doing so much damage?!”
...Good times. Rip.

The best part of the prepatch was the first couple of days when people actually talked to each other.
Tradechat was booster-spam-free with people sharing their prepatch experiences. In rdf groups we discussed how our specs were doing. Some randoms noticed my damage and one even asked me to trade azerite drop for hoa.
Felt like playing an MMO, you know.

The best part of the prepatch was the first couple of days when people actually talked to each other.
Tradechat was booster-spam-free with people sharing their prepatch experiences. In rdf groups we discussed how our specs were doing. Some randoms noticed my damage and one even asked me to trade azerite drop for hoa.
Felt like playing an MMO, you know.
Yeah, i certainly get that feeling. Now most people became real dull. Cant strike a good conversation without problems and arguments (Mind you arguments arent bad, but they arent healthy ones). Especially when camping/farming stuff, some people can get real greedy and parasites.

-What was the game to you in those weeks of Pre-Patch. What was the most difficult experience/Hardest decisions. what was your favorite thing that ever happened, what was your least favorite thing?
It was a hellscape of sleep deprivation. I knew relics were gonna get nerfed within 48 hours and so I immediately got artifacts on my f2p/vet and spammed VH until I got double relics on both my warriors. It took so fucking long and I still only got one maxed out on each toon before the nerf. I hadnt even leveled to 20.

I had to chose to ignore the high ilvl not-azerite quest awards for F2P and did so partly because I guessed wrong that theyd make HOA available at 10 (as makes sense!) instead of taking it away. Maybe I'll be vindicated in the future, but... not likely.

My favorite thing to happen was the opening of like 80% of the game to F2P. Least favorite is all you goons being unable to click through a few threads before posting your own ;)

What triumph and glory have you made during those weeks of the SL Pre-Patch?
Getting maxed artifacts and correctly guessing that I could ignore farming rares/Pillars of Earth gear on my vet while I focused on my F2P. Also working through the professions and learning more about cycling through garrisons and stuff so we can bring you up-to-date guides and save future twinks the headache.

What was the hardest gear/item/BiS bits and bobs you ever obtained?
Just this pre-patch? Gems are going to be the death of me. Why am I playing a strength user? Why didnt I pick an agi class or something I could fully gem out with a few MOH and some daily quests? Why do I have to cycle through like 3 WOTLK professions to gem my gear? Good lord.

But its still better than the foamspittle grind.

For me it was just hilarious from stage one , people were in disc running around frantically getting all their stuff done , helping people get their heart of azeroth in different groups (some taking 15 kills lmao) .

The gradual dawning on many people they missed out on launch goodies , the joy and resentment on all the forums . What a wild ride .

This wave of nerfs incoming and having to pick up the pieces each time cracks me up . This is first pre patch I've ever done for an expac twinking.

Think my favourite moments were speaking to brann and watching all the cutscenes for the heart of azeroth - never seen that before - so it was cool , nostalgic and also i felt like I was beating blizzard :D

And chaining dungeons with friends with them swearing in happiness or the pain of doing the dungeon for the 20th time

Lmao

Had a blast so far , hopefully loads of ppl stick around for the 20s bracket . With so many new abilities for each class at this lvl it could be at its best for yearrrrrs.

First few days spamming legion dungeons leveling to 20 on priest and DK. Snagged both an Heart of Azeroth neck and I had nearly a full set of the ilvl44 legion dungeon armor filled in with Shattrath gear only to log in the next day and see everything was back to 25 and/or red. I was out some gold for buying the Shattrath pieces but biggest loss was missing the sockets on artifact weapons.

After that change went through I decided to grab Heart of Azeroth on the rest of my toons, which involved pushing another DK through the starting zone and two demon hunters to balance both factions. I was multiboxing through the BFA dungeons to grab Azurite pieces to trade to alts, and had most of the bosses down to a science with a few others proving more difficult for my team comp (@Childishgankino witnessed "acceptable" losses in Atal'Dazar). After a day or two of this I had completed the HoA quest on 24 toons, each class on both factions.

Anticipating nerfs, I decided to level everyone to 20 while the neck was still active, so I assembled my multi-box teams to grind levels 10-20 through Hellfire Ramparts on repeat. I think I had something like 14 characters done when they finally hit the necklace. The absence of the necklace didn't cause too much of a problem and I completed leveling the rest of my toons over the course of a day or two. During this time I created a full set garrisons and also collected Pandaria, Northrend and BFA engineering on everyone.

Now that everyone was 20, and still anticipating nerfs, I decided to check if the azurite gear was still obtainable. Starting with Alliance , I run through the quest line for shoulders on my priest. About an hour later, I had my shoulders, no active traits but stats that would be considered BiS for that moment. Fast forward and I have 12 alliance toons with Azurite shoulders. By the end of it I had the entire quest line down to about 35 minutes. I followed that with the helm quest which took longer, but nonetheless I was able to persevere and complete my scroll gathering on everyone.

The Horde experience mostly mirrors the methods I used with Alliance, perhaps taking 20 minutes longer per toon. I had to race the server reset on Tuesday to complete my last toons which added a fun time crunch element. Goblin Gliders saved me a ton of time as I could get from quest hub to quest hub without having to collect flight paths beforehand. When I saw the yellow "Server Shutdown" notice go out as I was gliding to the last quest hub, I got a nice little jab of adrenaline. Finished with like 8 minutes left on the clock, a job well done.

Logging in the next day, Azurite pieces were all still there so I had to decide what I would do next. Figuring the Legion Pillars of Creation were likely to get the nerf bat (I was thinking by Thursday like they did with HoA the week previous), I decided to hold off and instead assembled yet a few more boosting teams at Hellfire Ramparts, this time with the idea that I'd level a toon with each armor type on my 2nd paid account to accompany my vet through TBC dungeons in order to trade desirable gear drops. So another round of level grinding and I've got cloth, mail, leather and plate alts at level 20 on both factions, all capable of trading gear to my main account.

At this point its the weekend, I still see Pillars hasn't been touched, but rather than jump into that I decide to kit out all my horde toons with their artifact weapons and complete all classes and all specs in a day or two, at the end of which I learn that the Wintergrasp vendor is selling BoA pieces that scale to ilvl45. Thinking it might be the answer to the ilvl49 artifacts that I missed, I pool together all my marks of honor and haul my level 50 over to Wintergrasp and start to purchase en masse.

I had multiple copies of weapons on each toon to allow for gear swaps and whatnot, and while I hadn't completely shot my bankroll of marks, I had taken in enough BoA weapon pieces to equip everyone and a few trinkets on classes that would potentially use them. From there I ground out a few dozen Strathholm live-side runs on a 50 to juice up my shiny new BoA's with Crusader. Slapped those puppies on my Horde warrior and I was ready to rock.

So it's Monday and now that I've got these BoA's in hand, I'm not keen to do all the artifact weapons on my Alliance toons. I decide to take a look at the Pillars questlines with the Horde warrior. Running through mobs like they're not even there, double crusader whirl-winding my way to victory, I had instance groups exclaim "Fury warriors are OP". I even managed to solo Eye of Azshara. I finished the Pillars and casually make my way over to WoD to check out the WoD rare scene.

I don't like waiting for spawns. Never have, never will. I've spent a lot of time in this game and over the course of BFA I made a full arsenal of low population RP realm-hopping toons to assist in that matter. Don't see a spawn? Load up a hopper and boom, there's Hoarfrost right in-front of me. No Demidos? No problem! I scouted these spawns, set up my realm hops, bagged a few pieces of ilvl44 and decided to start Pillars on the Horde mage.

I might have been halfway through the Pillars on the mage when the news came over the wire:

"Policy Update for Input Broadcasting Software"

This one hurts, not gonna lie. Even before knowing about the upcoming nerf to Pillars and WoD rares, multi-boxing was going to be a crucial part of my TBC gearing strategy. RNG is a bitch as it is, but now I'm looking at random LFG people that don't know mechanics and long queue times. I know I can group with you fine lads, but being able to instantly load up a 5 man team any time of day to grind through these TBC dungeons and trade items to myself would have been clutch for gearing my DPS classes relatively quickly. ISBoxer software still had like 15 months on the subscription so I'm out roughly $75 USD. I can put a positive spin on it, I did manage to level all my vets already so at least they won't be able to take that from me.

Forward thinking, I decide to get the Steady Talasite recipe. Burning Crusade, Nagrand..Halaa. Easy enough to attain on a 50 alt, just takes a bit of time to get the requisite items off random mobs in the zone. Time to skill up JC to 50. Oh wait, I need skill 25 jewel crafting to prospect ore to get the gems to begin crafting? I cursed the shitty game design as I hit the auction house, which was very slim on jewels to get to that 25 skill. Make it to 23, out of gems. BIG F. Log for the night. Next morning I luck out and get a few more gems from the auction house, skill to 25 and start prospecting. 1000+ Adamantite ore later and I have prospected 6 talasite gems. Six. This RNG is a killer boys.

From there I finished Pillars on my mage and made it 3/4 of the way through my horde druid which takes us to the PTR news update where we learn Pillars will no longer have the prestige, nor will the WoD rares be useable. Slightly dejected, I think to myself "OK, less repetitive questing, not entirely terrible. I can swap to my TBC gem strategy, that'll be fine."

I spent most of last night soloing Sethekk Halls on my Warrior trying to snag a set of the two hander from the last boss, I'm maybe 20 runs in and have one axe in the bag when the BoA nerf comes through. Post-nerf I can still cruise through it, although I do need to pop drums to finish off the last boss.

TLDR: Lotta twists and turns to this pre-patch for me and I won't be surprised if we see more changes down the line.

It's a journey, not a destination. Enjoy it while it lasts.

First few days spamming legion dungeons leveling to 20 on priest and DK. Snagged both an Heart of Azeroth neck and I had nearly a full set of the ilvl44 legion dungeon armor filled in with Shattrath gear only to log in the next day and see everything was back to 25 and/or red. I was out some gold for buying the Shattrath pieces but biggest loss was missing the sockets on artifact weapons.

After that change went through I decided to grab Heart of Azeroth on the rest of my toons, which involved pushing another DK through the starting zone and two demon hunters to balance both factions. I was multiboxing through the BFA dungeons to grab Azurite pieces to trade to alts, and had most of the bosses down to a science with a few others proving more difficult for my team comp (@Childishgankino witnessed "acceptable" losses in Atal'Dazar). After a day or two of this I had completed the HoA quest on 24 toons, each class on both factions.

Anticipating nerfs, I decided to level everyone to 20 while the neck was still active, so I assembled my multi-box teams to grind levels 10-20 through Hellfire Ramparts on repeat. I think I had something like 14 characters done when they finally hit the necklace. The absence of the necklace didn't cause too much of a problem and I completed leveling the rest of my toons over the course of a day or two. During this time I created a full set garrisons and also collected Pandaria, Northrend and BFA engineering on everyone.

Now that everyone was 20, and still anticipating nerfs, I decided to check if the azurite gear was still obtainable. Starting with Alliance , I run through the quest line for shoulders on my priest. About an hour later, I had my shoulders, no active traits but stats that would be considered BiS for that moment. Fast forward and I have 12 alliance toons with Azurite shoulders. By the end of it I had the entire quest line down to about 35 minutes. I followed that with the helm quest which took longer, but nonetheless I was able to persevere and complete my scroll gathering on everyone.

The Horde experience mostly mirrors the methods I used with Alliance, perhaps taking 20 minutes longer per toon. I had to race the server reset on Tuesday to complete my last toons which added a fun time crunch element. Goblin Gliders saved me a ton of time as I could get from quest hub to quest hub without having to collect flight paths beforehand. When I saw the yellow "Server Shutdown" notice go out as I was gliding to the last quest hub, I got a nice little jab of adrenaline. Finished with like 8 minutes left on the clock, a job well done.

Logging in the next day, Azurite pieces were all still there so I had to decide what I would do next. Figuring the Legion Pillars of Creation were likely to get the nerf bat (I was thinking by Thursday like they did with HoA the week previous), I decided to hold off and instead assembled yet a few more boosting teams at Hellfire Ramparts, this time with the idea that I'd level a toon with each armor type on my 2nd paid account to accompany my vet through TBC dungeons in order to trade desirable gear drops. So another round of level grinding and I've got cloth, mail, leather and plate alts at level 20 on both factions, all capable of trading gear to my main account.

At this point its the weekend, I still see Pillars hasn't been touched, but rather than jump into that I decide to kit out all my horde toons with their artifact weapons and complete all classes and all specs in a day or two, at the end of which I learn that the Wintergrasp vendor is selling BoA pieces that scale to ilvl45. Thinking it might be the answer to the ilvl49 artifacts that I missed, I pool together all my marks of honor and haul my level 50 over to Wintergrasp and start to purchase en masse.

I had multiple copies of weapons on each toon to allow for gear swaps and whatnot, and while I hadn't completely shot my bankroll of marks, I had taken in enough BoA weapon pieces to equip everyone and a few trinkets on classes that would potentially use them. From there I ground out a few dozen Strathholm live-side runs on a 50 to juice up my shiny new BoA's with Crusader. Slapped those puppies on my Horde warrior and I was ready to rock.

So it's Monday and now that I've got these BoA's in hand, I'm not keen to do all the artifact weapons on my Alliance toons. I decide to take a look at the Pillars questlines with the Horde warrior. Running through mobs like they're not even there, double crusader whirl-winding my way to victory, I had instance groups exclaim "Fury warriors are OP". I even managed to solo Eye of Azshara. I finished the Pillars and casually make my way over to WoD to check out the WoD rare scene.

I don't like waiting for spawns. Never have, never will. I've spent a lot of time in this game and over the course of BFA I made a full arsenal of low population RP realm-hopping toons to assist in that matter. Don't see a spawn? Load up a hopper and boom, there's Hoarfrost right in-front of me. No Demidos? No problem! I scouted these spawns, set up my realm hops, bagged a few pieces of ilvl44 and decided to start Pillars on the Horde mage.

I might have been halfway through the Pillars on the mage when the news came over the wire:

"Policy Update for Input Broadcasting Software"

This one hurts, not gonna lie. Even before knowing about the upcoming nerf to Pillars and WoD rares, multi-boxing was going to be a crucial part of my TBC gearing strategy. RNG is a bitch as it is, but now I'm looking at random LFG people that don't know mechanics and long queue times. I know I can group with you fine lads, but being able to instantly load up a 5 man team any time of day to grind through these TBC dungeons and trade items to myself would have been clutch for gearing my DPS classes relatively quickly. ISBoxer software still had like 15 months on the subscription so I'm out roughly $75 USD. I can put a positive spin on it, I did manage to level all my vets already so at least they won't be able to take that from me.

Forward thinking, I decide to get the Steady Talasite recipe. Burning Crusade, Nagrand..Halaa. Easy enough to attain on a 50 alt, just takes a bit of time to get the requisite items off random mobs in the zone. Time to skill up JC to 50. Oh wait, I need skill 25 jewel crafting to prospect ore to get the gems to begin crafting? I cursed the shitty game design as I hit the auction house, which was very slim on jewels to get to that 25 skill. Make it to 23, out of gems. BIG F. Log for the night. Next morning I luck out and get a few more gems from the auction house, skill to 25 and start prospecting. 1000+ Adamantite ore later and I have prospected 6 talasite gems. Six. This RNG is a killer boys.

From there I finished Pillars on my mage and made it 3/4 of the way through my horde druid which takes us to the PTR news update where we learn Pillars will no longer have the prestige, nor will the WoD rares be useable. Slightly dejected, I think to myself "OK, less repetitive questing, not entirely terrible. I can swap to my TBC gem strategy, that'll be fine."

I spent most of last night soloing Sethekk Halls on my Warrior trying to snag a set of the two hander from the last boss, I'm maybe 20 runs in and have one axe in the bag when the BoA nerf comes through. Post-nerf I can still cruise through it, although I do need to pop drums to finish off the last boss.

TLDR: Lotta twists and turns to this pre-patch for me and I won't be surprised if we see more changes down the line.

It's a journey, not a destination. Enjoy it while it lasts.
I respect the fact you took your time and expressed your Destination and your grind in those past weeks. Gotta handed to ya, youre definitely a Pioneer. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and efforts.

my experience so far is it’s been a TON of fun. Haven’t played retail in a long time.

biggest regret was not only getting HoA but leveling it to 15 instead of grabbing Legion artifacts and grabbing ilvl 49 :/

excited for what’s to come, all the frustrations have been worth it tbh

Users who are viewing this thread