Scientific chest farming

Dying and corpse-running used to be a way to bridge long distances painlessly, as 'return to graveyard' would port you to the closest graveyard to your ghost.

This has been 'fixed', now you return to the graveyard closest to your corpse.

You can still do what I've heard called corpse dragging. If you can't avoid dying, die as far in the direction you want to go as possible, res and repeat until you are close enough to your destination or close enough to a graveyard you want to reach.

EDIT: Whoops, no haste set equipped today. ^^

EDIT2: Removed wrong sentence, thanks Thirk. ^^

Last edited by a moderator:
ty for responses, was getting seriously confused :)

Dying and corpse-running used to be a way to bridge long distances painlessly, as 'return to graveyard' would port you to the closest graveyard to your ghost.

You can still do what I've heard called corpse dragging. If you can't avoid dying, die as far in the direction you want to go as possible, res and repeat until you are close enough to your destination or close enough to a graveyard you want to reach.

In the case of level 1s for checking up on chest spawns I'm not sure you even need to do this, as I think you can still see chests as a ghost even if you are not close to your body. I'm not completely sure about that, as I've never bothered with mules.

EDIT: Whoops, no haste set equipped today. ^^
You CANNOT see spawned objects as a ghost UNLESS your corpse is close enough that you would be able to see it alive.

IDK if this is the right thread, but yesterday while questing/lvling a new character on Vashj I opened this Tattered Chest - Object - World of Warcraft
and it contained this > Recipe: Swiftness Potion - Item - World of Warcraft

It doesn't even say it is a drop available in those boxes, but I promise its true. I think somebody should put this in the right thread if possible please.

This would be a super easy recipe to farm for a geared lvl 20 if they just run around the island finding the chests.

what i've done in the past is either go thru a portal (like what used to connect STV to the northern half of the continent) or just log out then back in. talking to a spirit healer after doing either of these would switch it from "return to graveyard nearest to your corpse" to "rez at current spirit healer"

has this been fixed also? i don't feel like testing it

awesomely helpful thread btw! better than the previous. repost accusation DENIED!

i keep getting at least 2 chests per day on this low pop server in wetlnds, but as luck would have it... i keep getting twisted saber and keller's girdle mostly. i have also gotten some valuable ones like feet of the lynx, yorgen bracers and dreamslinger leggings... the only helpful one i've gotten for a f2p war is 1 razor's edge. just bad luck i guess.... trying hard for silver-linked footguards. gotten about every other valuable BoE, but still no MM either, oddly

Is this still applicable upon MoP's release and the new patches?

Chest farming is still a good way to get blue BoEs on your f2p. That being said, certain BoEs that were once BiS are no longer with MoP, so it is worthwhile to make sure you're going for the right item!

Also, this was outdated a while ago and doesn't seem to have been updated in the OP - but you can no longer run all the way to another zone as a ghost as when you return to graveyard you'll go back to the starting zone - you have to 'manually' corpse run all the way there.

Good luck!

There is also 2 more chests that I farm for in wetlands. One is by sarltooth in Whelgar's Excavation Site which seems to spawn less frequently.

Another is near the furthest right house symbol on the map in angerfang encampment. This is where I got brawlers gloves and MM twice. Seems to be up alot.

i love farming this zone on my Dpriest, but I've been getting a lot of terrible drops recently. Brawlers Gloves, Skycalller Wand and several high level items that I can't use....MM will elude me forever.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is an addon on curse that allows you to upload the WoWhead chest database into your map, so you can see all the locations in game, completely legally, the name is escaping me, but I've used it and it works like a charm.

Users who are viewing this thread