rip secondary professions

Can someone confirm for me please, that if I now want to obtain the Chef's Hat - Item - World of Warcraft then I will in fact cause my cooking and fishing to both drop to 100? By that I mean, if I do cooking dailies, and it causes me to earn 1 point of cooking, it will drop me back and affect my fishing also.

If someone could please confirm this that would be great.

I think as a VET my cooking may already be stuffed, as my main profs are stuffed, sort of stuck at 75ish with the VET bug for profs. In actual fact, it may improve my cooking to 100 by doing the daily - lol.

Just confirming that dailies also breaks Vet 2ndry profs.

Tried the Fishing daily and when I logged out and back in my fishing dropped from 375 to 100.

I'm guessing the Cooking daily will have the same effect.

Does this not effect F2P Pures or something?

Seriously, I've been doing dailies for fishing and cooking, and both are still what they were.

Logged in and out a hundred times over.

As a paying Player that also Twinks low levels this change, the change to capping Fishing/Cooking in WoD (MoP for Cooking) for low level toons make no sense and is just the Blizzard anti fun police asserting their cruelness. Having Secondary Professions maxed (I mean 700 Maxed) does NOTHING for lowbies other than for completionists. They gain literally no advantage in game from them. Anything of any value to a lowbie has much higher Character levels restrictions on it anyway so what's the point in capping it.

As a paying Player that also Twinks low levels this change, the change to capping Fishing/Cooking in WoD (MoP for Cooking) for low level toons make no sense and is just the Blizzard anti fun police asserting their cruelness. Having Secondary Professions maxed (I mean 700 Maxed) does NOTHING for lowbies other than for completionists. They gain literally no advantage in game from them. Anything of any value to a lowbie has much higher Character levels restrictions on it anyway so what's the point in capping it.

yes but if you want to get your professions higher... you gotta pay muahhahaha!.

sadface :(

They gain literally no advantage in game from them. Anything of any value to a lowbie has much higher Character levels restrictions on it anyway so what's the point in capping it.

That's not quite true. The cap means starters have a lower limit on stat food as well as bandages.

The skill level is somehow grandfathered for characters created before WoD. It's the difference between using heavy linen bandages which are essentially worthless vs heavy wool/silk bandages, and 4 stamina vs. 6 stamina food buffs. Vets initially could use higher level food and bandages but not make them, however that was fixed.

It's not so much anti-fun as it is another reminder that starter accounts are not intended to be played indefinitely.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not so much anti-fun as it is another reminder that starter accounts are not intended to be played indefinitely.
They cap paying Players secondary Professions too, not just F2P. While I agree the original concept of Blizzard's F2P design was so people who had never played WoW could try it for free to see if they liked it, it's certainly evolved since then, even Blizz knows that.

They cap paying Players secondary Professions too, not just F2P. While I agree the original concept of Blizzard's F2P design was so people who had never played WoW could try it for free to see if they liked it, it's certainly evolved since then, even Blizz knows that.

How are paying players capped? From what I understand, once you resubscribe you regain your maxed levels.

Starter accounts have not evolved from being starter accounts. If anything, Blizzard has made it clearer that this is the case. There is no F2P in WoW. That does not mean some players, myself included, will not play as 'chronic' starters.

How are paying players capped? From what I understand, once you resubscribe you regain your maxed levels.

I believe this is correct. I re-sub'd for 60 days a while ago and all my profs were restored. But now that I'm un-sub'd, any daily will put your prof back to 100. For cooking, it's not the end of the world. +4 vs +6 stam food isn't a deal breaker, and anyone can use the new DMF Vers food.

Fishing 100 isn't a deal breaker also. Although if you're lucky enough to have one of the cool fishing rods, you may be upset :(

But First Aid is important. Whatever you do, don't do the DMF daily and cause your First Aid to drop to 100 or you'll be limited big time, making FA all but worthless.

I believe this is correct. I re-sub'd for 60 days a while ago and all my profs were restored. But now that I'm un-sub'd, any daily will put your prof back to 100. For cooking, it's not the end of the world. +4 vs +6 stam food isn't a deal breaker, and anyone can use the new DMF Vers food.

Fishing 100 isn't a deal breaker also. Although if you're lucky enough to have one of the cool fishing rods, you may be upset :(

But First Aid is important. Whatever you do, don't do the DMF daily and cause your First Aid to drop to 100 or you'll be limited big time, making FA all but worthless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2eiPEyA8vk

You can create +6 stam food with 100 cooking :)

You can create +6 stam food with 100 cooking :)
Oh sorry my bad. I've only got Vets at the moment, and although they are 100, their profs are broken and they can only just cook a +4 Stam food.
Just like we can only make bandages at lvl 40 (linen or heavy linen) and that's all.
Sorry for the confusion.

Paying accounts with lower level Characters are capped at Level 525 (not max of 700) for Cooking (due to the stupid Farmville mechanic in MoP) and 600 for Fishing. You can Fish in Draenor and even loot the Fishing/Cooking Book but they have a Character Level 90 requirement. You can also Cook a few Draenor items but cannot learn the Recipes those discover even though they have a Cooking requirement of (1) they also have a Level requirement of 90. First Aid hasn't changed, it still has a maximum of 225 for Characters below 35.

-WotLK: Paying accounts WERE capped for lower Level Characters for both Cooking & Fishing, though I can't remember what it was, maybe 225.
-Cata: Paying accounts were no longer capped for lower Level Characters for Cooking & Fishing.
-MoP: Paying accounts were not capped for lower Level Characters for Fishing.
-WoD: Paying accounts can no longer level Secondary Professions at all on lower Level Characters.

As Paying accounts (some Players/Characters) were already FAR above what they could actually use in terms of stat food for Cooking there is NO REASON to cap them from leveling to the new cap each xpac, other than my previous comment about the anti fun police within Blizzard's ranks.

Just like we can only make bandages at lvl 40 (linen or heavy linen) and that's all.
Sorry for the confusion.
Check again, what you can physically CRAFT on your lowbie vs what you can physically USE on that same lowbie in regards to Bandages are two different things. Level 10's on Paying accounts are the same, we can't actually Craft the Runecloth Bandages but we can use them. That is unless F2P accounts cannot get mail from a higher level Character, or buy the Bandages off the AH or gain from trade via another Character.

Paying accounts can level professions. Both primary and secondary. The skill level has been capped due to your level, nothing else. If you were a higher level you could advance your level in said skill.
If you need proof of a level 20 with 225 in primaries and 525 cooking/600 fishing I am sure we can oblige. For my shaman have them.

Sweetsidney

That information is incorrect. Crispy Lizard Tail is locked along with Goblin Deviled Clams and Curious Tasty Omelet. The maximum stamina food you can actually create with the locked profession is 4. That's besides the mats being slightly more difficult to obtain since the cataclysm! Wool bandages are also locked, so heavy linen is the highest level available. You can still use them of course if they're mailed to you, but you cannot create them.

I'll try and link some images. Always struggle with this so hope it works.

View attachment 5929
Cooking although locked at 100, will only allow me as a Vet to cook Blood Sausage (lvl 60) and +4 Stam

View attachment 5930
First Aid - 225 yet can only make Heavy Linen as a Vet. But as DeLindsay noted, yes as Vet we can use Heavy Runecloth, and I did stockpile a heap of these before going Vet. So I can use heavy Runecloth, but when they run out, it won't be worth making Heavy Linen. Could probably re-gen health faster than they bandage in a 29 bg.

View attachment 5931
Alchemy - can't make my beloved Giant Growth potion :confused: Can only make pots at lvl 60 or less. For Vets that is.

View attachment 5932

Sorry for the long post, but hopefully this clarifies Vet profs.

Attachments

• WoWScrnShot_090115_075834.jpg
    WoWScrnShot_090115_075834.jpg
    405.5 KB · Views: 61
  • WoWScrnShot_090115_075819.jpg
    WoWScrnShot_090115_075819.jpg
    402 KB · Views: 66
  • WoWScrnShot_090115_075803.jpg
    WoWScrnShot_090115_075803.jpg
    421.4 KB · Views: 59
  • WoWScrnShot_090115_075739.jpg
    WoWScrnShot_090115_075739.jpg
    441.4 KB · Views: 136
Careful with the bandage stockpiling. First Aid locked to 100 can use up to silk (while you can only create heavy linen). Heavy runecloth will be useless.

In other words, a paid low level is NOT the same as starter, which is essentially what a vet account is. The lock occurs whether your profession resets to 100 or not. My vet has 174 cooking yet all recipes above 4 stam are locked.

Users who are viewing this thread