Let's save level 20 twinking... Squeaky wheel gets the grease

And it keeps people invested for a time until things may become favorable for your preferred gameplay again.

Not gonna harp on f2play at all, just offer that you're assuming that Blizz actually thinks the same thing you do... that's hard to guarantee. If the main focus is bug reports and forums complaints, that's not going to keep anyone invested if things dont change at all right away. Focus on community and progress of any kind is going to be more effective than just complaints and waiting for a train Blizz might not even have on the same track right now...

Community building doesn't really require much from Blizzard at all. F2P had a incredibly thriving community on Aerie Peak. I recommend going back to that. The game is pretty expansive for F2P and Vets ( more to vets ), and there's a lot you can do.

Considering that we have some soloists in the community, creating a Solo challenge for f2ps that goes from starter gear to dungeon mechanics would already be a good start. Wargaming, fishing events, transmog contests. All these things are potential community building.

---------------------

I don't buy the idea that the "core game was good" or that "bgs are the foundation of f2p". BGs were fun, indeed...when you weren't getting globaled by 24 Worgen Hunters. We had as many issues before as we have now, and still the game thrived. I think people are really underestimating how powerful is to have one specific server as a home. The f2p community right now is highly diffused and sparse.

I mean, really, everyone knew Lil back then. Do we even HAVE a F2P/Vet community outside XPoff? It goes beyond having a battle.net group. Do anyone knows who other big names are nowadays?

It's a heavy investiment. One that we failed to keep when the torch was passed to us. It's not easy AT ALL.

Most of the impulse to "save" 20s seems to revolve around getting them back into leveler BGs, or at the very least getting them silo'd into their own BGs away from 29s.

I'm not really convinced that either of these need to happen. Especially if the goal is to resurrect the old AP days... something I'm not really convinced is possible.

You're never going to get back to those days because F2P twinking isnt what it was then. Even the simple starting point of gearing requires a level of obsessive commitment not many can make, much less maintain. Combine that with the time sink of trying to encourage a community and there are precious few people who are going to be able to take up the flag, if they even want to. And fewer still are going to take it up for long.

Its probably best to let go of any notion that you're gonna get it back to where it was. It's not that game anymore.

Which is fine. Because F2P also doesnt need saving. Its fine right where it is. Let it be the home of a few weirdos and oddballs who still have the commitment to the grind. It doesnt need to be hugely popular.

Create bug reports in the official WoW forum here if you can:
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/c/support/bug-report/17

2 main issues to make Blizz fix:
-enchanting and ilvl lockout
-veterans and trial accounts being put into level 29 twink bg's

The more bug reports they see the more likely they'll do something about it, so create new posts if you can.

If can't be bothered making new posts, could just add comments to existing posts.
Complain about f2p's / vets being put into 29 twink BG's, post in here:
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/w...evel-29-twink-xp-locked-battlegrounds/1410474

Or to make them aware of the F'd up enchanting and ilvl scaling problem, meaning no enchants can be put on good gear past level 15 here:
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/w...longer-working-on-most-leveling-items/1410472

I remember around 2 expansions ago we were put in xp off battlegrounds before temporarily, and it was fixed, so let's make them aware it's not normal and the need to fix it.
With those 2 things 20's might actually be good again...
no go to classic. this is the way.

I don't even see the point of twinking anymore, you need to spend literally more time farming BiS (WoD WF+socket) than people do at 60.

And it's not even permanent, next prepatch will overhaul everything.

To farm BiS you also need a second paying account.

So you don't save money or time.
I don’t believe u need a 2nd account to farm BiS. It will speed up the process - save time - but it isn’t necessary.

A lot of classes can easily solo dungeons. Some will struggle, and probably get stuck in RDF for their dungeons, but it’s not essential to have a 2nd account.

I don’t know about other people, but I’m starting to lose my passion for gearing as there is nothing to do once geared? We would destroy levellers so no use Blizz putting us back there. 20’s also fed up with crap fest bg’s with 29’s so they aren’t queuing so bg’s aren’t popping.

What’s the purpose of gearing when PvP is no longer enjoyable.

I mean, on my DK I can already solo WoD dungeons without hardly losing any health….. what’s the point of increasing leech or gemming……. I guess swag….. but outside of that, no where to use that sweet gear.

I think I’m a little sad to see the state of 20’s. I tell u one thing, it’s not a good selling point for Blizz. If I was trying it out for the 1st time it certainly wouldn’t make me want to sub up. Blizz will affect their new customers….. but maybe they don’t give a stuff anymore as it will be Microsoft’s problem soon? Who knows.

Apologies for rant guys…. I’ve just never seen it this bad and hopeless ever in the 12 & 1/2 years of WoW I’ve played. COPIUM

I don’t believe u need a 2nd account to farm BiS. It will speed up the process - save time - but it isn’t necessary.

A lot of classes can easily solo dungeons. Some will struggle, and probably get stuck in RDF for their dungeons, but it’s not essential to have a 2nd account.

I don’t know about other people, but I’m starting to lose my passion for gearing as there is nothing to do once geared? We would destroy levellers so no use Blizz putting us back there. 20’s also fed up with crap fest bg’s with 29’s so they aren’t queuing so bg’s aren’t popping.

What’s the purpose of gearing when PvP is no longer enjoyable.

I mean, on my DK I can already solo WoD dungeons without hardly losing any health….. what’s the point of increasing leech or gemming……. I guess swag….. but outside of that, no where to use that sweet gear.

I think I’m a little sad to see the state of 20’s. I tell u one thing, it’s not a good selling point for Blizz. If I was trying it out for the 1st time it certainly wouldn’t make me want to sub up. Blizz will affect their new customers….. but maybe they don’t give a stuff anymore as it will be Microsoft’s problem soon? Who knows.

Apologies for rant guys…. I’ve just never seen it this bad and hopeless ever in the 12 & 1/2 years of WoW I’ve played. COPIUM

Yep. Feel the same way. We can farm and farm for the best gear at over 10,000 runs of WoD, but nothing to show for it because we'll just get stomped on by 29s. F2P won't really feel the same without PVP/BGs, but thats the way it is now. Either go super casual, roll a toon and maybe chillax and run the new Dungeons we have access to, find some other niche thing to do like staying on Exile's Reach or Wandering Isle as F2P, or sub go to classic. You could also just roll throw-away toons in looms from 10-19, but thats not the same. Like I said before, the heyday of f2p and 20s is kinda over. Was hoping we'd see a revival in DF, but guess not

You could also, you know, stop being so emotionally invested in a relatively half-baked experience compared to the crap pile retail is and play something else. F2P without BGS is basically a waste of time compared to other games and i doubt you will see them come back where they're put back into the pool with levellers. Playing vs 29 is a waste of time too, so best to move on(and move on from blizzard since they don't make anything really good anymore)

If people enjoy the game, they arent wasting their time. If they enjoy parts of the game that arent pvp, well thats just tracking with the whole damn history of F2P.

what a silly thing to assert.

At some point, you have to recognize that most of the people here and elsewhere in the twinking community are doing that as a coping mechanism and not because they actually enjoy running slag mines for the 600th time. Far too invested to let go however. There will be people who will enjoy anything including mindless activities but they're not really the norm outside of people who still play something like diablo 3.

Last edited:
At some point, you have to recognize that most of the people here and elsewhere in the twinking community are doing that as a coping mechanism and not because they actually enjoy running slag mines for the 600th time.
also quite silly.

I cant imagine I'm alone in enjoying a repetitive farming grind. It can be relaxing, almost meditative even. And at the end, you've got some gear you wanted.

I think that, sure, a lot of people continue to twink out of a sense of aimless inertia. But a lot of people also really enjoy the grind. You dont have to, but they do.

also quite silly.

I cant imagine I'm alone in enjoying a repetitive farming grind. It can be relaxing, almost meditative even. And at the end, you've got some gear you wanted.

I think that, sure, a lot of people continue to twink out of a sense of aimless inertia. But a lot of people also really enjoy the grind. You dont have to, but they do.

You should buy d3 its tailor made for you. The gear is pointless. You grind to grind faster so that you can grind faster, so that you can grind faster? At some point, you realize you're used to grinding but there isn't really a point. I realized that while playing the D3 auction house, where i flipped items so i could flip more items so that i could eventually play the game on a higher difficulty, because it was the most efficient thing to do at the time. I literally wasn't playing the game. I was playing the auction house. Then i asked myself why(outside of the obvious dopamine hit for a flip). You might like that cycle but usually its because you don't ask why you're doing the thing in the first place. If people actually have that as a bar for whatever game they're playing its a pretty low bar and they'll play anything, so why not something that is both novel and delivers on that as well? Either way, points away from WoW if you want more for your time - a game that is notorious for shtiting on yours.

Last edited:
You should buy d3 its tailor made for you. The gear is pointless. You grind to grind faster so that you can grind faster, so that you can grind faster? At some point, you realize you're used to grinding but there isn't really a point. You might like that cycle but usually its because you don't ask why you're doing the thing in the first place. If people actually have that as a bar for whatever game they're playing its a pretty low bar and they'll play anything, so why not something that is both novel and delivers on that as well? Either way, points away from WoW if you want more for your time - a game that is notorious for shtiting on yours.
People play what they like to play for reasons they dont need to justify to you. But if you're curious, you could ask?

If you just wanna grandstand and be yet another in a long and exhausting line of "hurrdurr blizzard sucks smol indie company" stooge, well.... I hope youre having fun?

Chops, do you know Progress Quest ?

Jokes aside, for me, and I m sure for a lot of us, BGs were where the fun was, we could farm pets, titles, whatever and find it fun, but only because the BGs were there. Grinding without the pvp shoot is much less fun, and it's very sad because with the 87s and the new talent system, twinking would be awesome right now.

Grinding without the pvp shoot is much less fun, and it's very sad because with the 87s and the new talent system, twinking would be awesome right now.
Sure, some people find it less fun. Some people dont. I'm of the later camp. Consider, my Classic 39 (a stat I recently realized and wanted an excuse to share):

upload_2022-11-28_19-29-28.png

upload_2022-11-28_19-29-50.png

But I'm not gonna roll out here and tell people there's no point whatsoever to playing F2P because they're gonna have a rough go of it in pvp. I know better. F2P have had a rough go of it in pvp for nearly the entire existence of starter accounts. The people that have, historically, been attracted to F2P are (generally) not *just* there for pvp. And when a lot of folks were just there for pvp, it was because F2P-only pvp was a lot of fun, so they organized wargames.

Which all this is to say... we're pretty much back to where we were in 8.1

F2P was fine then. Its fine now.

If they combined queues like in wrath it would be better than current state. I can stomach the occasional mouth breather 29 premade as long as it was somewhat diluted.

Ideal state would be SL era queues.

I think things will eventually change for 20s. They always do. As long as 20 is f2p level cap, it’s never a bad investment for your time and efforts in a toon.

If they combined queues like in wrath it would be better than current state.

Not for anyone but f2play, tho.

edit- and vets, of course. Any locked level toon is going to (eventually) outgear even 29 levelers, its' a terrible idea for anyone but you. Of course you think it's a good one....

Users who are viewing this thread