Guild Wars 2

Guild Wars 2 is in many ways a blessing to World of Warcraft. Being a fresh game, it doesn't have the intimidating startup cost of a million expansions, and the oddly developed story that they missed the first several chapters of. Guild Wars 2 is a fresh start game that gets people into the genre. Patch Day being at the same time as GW2 release wasn't to squash GW2 and I think Blizzard is smarter than to think that. What they want is for WoW to be talked about at the same time GW2 is being talked about, knowing they already have 10 mil subscribers with deeply developed characters of sentimental value.

So just a quick bump showing what me and mindy have been up too, both of these fights happened during normal event questing in a zone after a chain of events, in no way did we have to form any kind of raid, we literally just jumped in and started helping the same with everyone else there.
gJxBc.jpg

we haven't fought this guy yet, but hes been stalking over head for awhile now and the events in the area are all hinting at him landing and fucking shit up...mores SS of the fight to come!

CbRb7.jpg

BUY THE DAMN GAME

So just a quick bump showing what me and mindy have been up too, both of these fights happened during normal event questing in a zone after a chain of events, in no way did we have to form any kind of raid, we literally just jumped in and started helping the same with everyone else there.
BUY THE DAMN GAME

Bruh you have a killer graphics card. WTB

Damn this is so sick. I really need to sell my tarantula silk sash to get digital deluxe edition (cause cant find any regular edition for sale atm -.-)

Ignore that livestream

My upload speed is atrocious

Last edited by a moderator:
Damnit Baffi i'm so jelly you can play on high graphics

I play on lowest and i get like 20fps max..... :'(

I fought the Fire Elemental boss yesterday on the asura starter map.... epic stuff :) The Swamp boss in the human map is pretty cool too, he's so huge you can see him from the next area.

If I wasn't already giving it to someone when I upgrade you could have it :p

If there's something you can upgrade to, then it can't be as good as mine ;)

The fight with that dragon from the 2nd screenshot makes WoW raiding look poor in comparison. It's open world so loads more people can join in, and at least a dozen of them can man the turrets and mortars around the arena, which are needed to do enough damage to kill the dragon (I think it's on a time limit). Turrets fire long range shots that can hit the dragon, or shorter range shrapnel charges to keep back the huge waves of smaller mobs that spawn and charge towards your lines every time he takes off. Mortars can be used on either the dragon or the small mobs, and do huge damage, if you can aim them (you charge them up to get longer range, and have to turn them to face the target). They can also fire AoE healing shells, to help keep the people directly attacking the dragon alive.

The loot beats WoW raids too. A huge chest spawns when you kill the dragon, and everyone in the fight gets areound 6 items of gear each, sometimes including yellow quality items (GW2's equivalent of epics).

All pretty amazing considering it's in a level 40-50 zone, while level cap is 80.

That has to be the best thing about GW2. Because you get downlevelled for whatever area you're in, it means all the content is playable eventually, and you don't end up skipping over something as awesome as this, because you levelled in another zone. I really hope ANet take advantage of this, and make it so their future expansion's content is spread evenly across the entire level range, instead of being just for endgame or new races/classes like with WoW. Giving something new to all players, not just the ones who've got to endgame, is going to make GW2 expansions so much better than the ones for WoW.

WoW's new content just plain sucks, because for new players, they still have to level through dead zones to get to the new, active endgame, and for older players wanting to try the new race's starting areas, once you've left them, it's the same shitty grind through dead content to get to the new endgame, with every character you have. New content for all levels means the whole levelling process can be a novel experience instead, and the people at top level won't need a ton of raid content just for them, because every instance added across the level range will be challenging.

If there's something you can upgrade to, then it can't be as good as mine ;)

The fight with that dragon from the 2nd screenshot makes WoW raiding look poor in comparison.

I'm upgrading to 2 670's here shortyly, and all will be underwater ;)

As for that second screenshot, wait till you see the video I'm uploading.

I will also be uploading an album to imgur with all the best SS I've taken so far. The link will be on this thread and the character list here shortly :D

I bought a GTX690 when the utility bills on my new flat (that I pay together every 6 months), turned out to be a lot less than I thought they'd be (much newer boiler ;)).

I tried water cooling everything back when I had a pair of 8800GTS512s, including the system RAM, but the added cost of GPU waterblocks made me go back to standard cooling for all but the CPU (since going water the system is far more stable). I'm using a Swiftech Apogee GTX, hooked up to a Zalman Reserator XT, that I upgraded with a Laing DDC pump with an XSPC top.

I've got 32GB of RAM, a Z77 mobo and an i7 3770k sat next to me, but I've got to wait for the new mounting bracket for the waterblock to be delivered from the U.S. before I can use them to upgrade from my 8GB, i780 and Q9550 :(. Having enough memory to put the whole GW2 folder into a ramdisk, with 12GB left over should be interesting though.

I'll have to give imgur a go myself. I've been using photobucket for screenshots, but it doesn't allow images as big as the ones from GW2 that I'm using as desktop wallpaper (8060x1440). I'm going round the vista locations to get some good panoramic shots, as it's not easy to get a good angle from eye level.

Going back to WoW to do some work on the addon, after playing GW2 for a week, really maked me realise just how hideous WoW's graphics are.

How is your latency ingame , maybe silly question but would you need beefier connection than for WoW to run this at low latencies?

Is a silly question. Someone on MMOChampion put it rather well:

Network speed =/= Latency. Latency = Time it takes to "talk" to the server [and get a reply back], and speed does not affect this except in VERY extreme circumstances (i.e. Dialup).

Latency can be down to the following things:

* Your distance from the server, and therefore the time it takes for data to travel between points.
* The quality of the server's network code, which affects how fast it can respond to data coming from clients.
* The quality of the server hardware. If it's overloaded then the data can start getting backlogged.
* The quality of your ISP. If they're one of the cheaper ones with high contention (lots of users sharing hardware at their end), then like the server they can get overloaded. Also traffic management that they might use can add to tatency.
* The quality of your connection. If you have a poor connection, then lost network data has to be re-sent (don't put your modem/router on the end of a long phone extension).
* The quality of your computer. If it's overloaded, then it can take time to display incoming data.

The quality of the server-side network code for wow is pretty chronic, causing most of the game's lag to happen on their servers, instead of network lag caused by your distance from the server and quality of network connection. Their servers also perform poorly when overloaded (overflow servers for GW2 pretty much solve that problem).

On the other hand Arenanet are better at technical coding, and as a result GW2 feels a lot smoother, and I've hardly ever seen any issues due to lag. That's quite something considering how packed the servers are, how many players you see in one location for dynamic events, and just how many spells are flying around as the number of mobs is increased to match the number of players.

Bandwidth should never be an issue for games, unless you've got worse than dial-up speeds.

Thank you for that response Yasueh.
Currently paying for 10 Mbps broadband though upon testing it on several occasions I will never get past 5-6 mbps with my latency being between 40-60.

The problem arises when I have people over , as soon as they connect even for simple browsing my latency tends to shoot up to around 150-250 up to 300-400 if one more person connects.

I have contacted my ISP in the past about getting faster connection unfortunately according to them they cant get faster than 10 Mbps in my postcode.

I bought a GTX690 when the utility bills on my new flat (that I pay together every 6 months), turned out to be a lot less than I thought they'd be (much newer boiler ;)).

I tried water cooling everything back when I had a pair of 8800GTS512s, including the system RAM, but the added cost of GPU waterblocks made me go back to standard cooling for all but the CPU (since going water the system is far more stable). I'm using a Swiftech Apogee GTX, hooked up to a Zalman Reserator XT, that I upgraded with a Laing DDC pump with an XSPC top.

I've got 32GB of RAM, a Z77 mobo and an i7 3770k sat next to me, but I've got to wait for the new mounting bracket for the waterblock to be delivered from the U.S. before I can use them to upgrade from my 8GB, i780 and Q9550 :(. Having enough memory to put the whole GW2 folder into a ramdisk, with 12GB left over should be interesting though.

I'll have to give imgur a go myself. I've been using photobucket for screenshots, but it doesn't allow images as big as the ones from GW2 that I'm using as desktop wallpaper (8060x1440). I'm going round the vista locations to get some good panoramic shots, as it's not easy to get a good angle from eye level.

Going back to WoW to do some work on the addon, after playing GW2 for a week, really maked me realise just how hideous WoW's graphics are.

I'm currently in the process of doing my own complete full custom rig (I've done a few builds for clients but not one just for me):)

2x gtx 670s ftw edition, sabertooth z77, i7 3770k, 16gb of gskill ripjaw z series (the light blue one), with all the newer EK Waterblocks (the ones with the circles) and backplates for the GPUs and an XSPC dual bay res with the mcp 655 attached to it.

It will all be inside a corsair 650 D with a phobya 200mm rad and a black ice GT stealth 240mm rad.

Once my 670's come in ill be draining my current loop and installing everything into the new case, then using all black bitspower fittings with mayhems pastel ICE white coolant, with a tinge of blue dye to match the ram, THEN finally ill be able to order my cable sleeve and heat shrink to bring the black and that same pastel blue to the cabling.
IN ADDITION TO THAT, the EK FC SLI BRIDGE, that has the circles on it, I'm going to paint only the circles that same pastel blue, cause quite frankly the circles are ugly if left alone, that way everything will tie together beautifully :)

And last but not least I'm in the process of having a custom plate made to stealth my PSU since it doesnt match, it will be a black metal plate with a peice of pastel blue acrylic behind it and the word "Blu" cut out of the metal to tie it all together :)))

Currently it's has a code name of "Baby blu" I'll send you some shots after I finish everything if you'd like yasueh

Oh and right now I'm in a haf 932 with just the above CPU currently the only thing in the loop, and im running a 570HD. I was with a 7970 but...well...I sold it in favor of going green again, I heard horror stories of AMD drivers but...my god I had no idea...lol

OH and not to advertise, but I do customer builds for people so if anyone wants a setup Shoot me a PM and we'll go over parts and specs and color schemes if you'd like. PS I do all the way from tiny lan builds to budget builds to extreme gaming rigs :)

2x gtx 670s ftw edition, sabertooth z77, i7 3770k, 16gb of gskill ripjaw z series (the light blue one), with all the newer EK Waterblocks (the ones with the circles) and backplates for the GPUs and an XSPC dual bay res with the mcp 655 attached to it.

It will all be inside a corsair 650 D with a phobya 200mm rad and a black ice GT stealth 240mm rad.

Once my 670's come in ill be draining my current loop and installing everything into the new case, then using all black bitspower fittings with mayhems pastel ICE white coolant, with a tinge of blue dye to match the ram, THEN finally ill be able to order my cable sleeve and heat shrink to bring the black and that same pastel blue to the cabling.
IN ADDITION TO THAT, the EK FC SLI BRIDGE, that has the circles on it, I'm going to paint only the circles that same pastel blue, cause quite frankly the circles are ugly if left alone, that way everything will tie together beautifully :)

And last but not least I'm in the process of having a custom plate made to stealth my PSU since it doesnt match, it will be a black metal plate with a peice of pastel blue acrylic behind it and the word "Blu" cut out of the metal to tie it all together :)))

Currently it's has a code name of "Baby blu" I'll send you some shots after I finish everything if you'd like yasueh

Oh and right now I'm in a haf 932 with just the above CPU currently the only thing in the loop, and im running a 570HD. I was with a 7970 but...well...I sold it in favor of going green again, I heard horror stories of AMD drivers but...my god I had no idea...lol
Totally understood all that was said then :p

Users who are viewing this thread