Guild Wars 2

That's the thing I won't just build it. Sure if you don't have any idea what you're doing then yes I will pick out parts that suit your needs and build it.

Even if you do pick out your own parts, I can advise you once you make your final selections to make slightly better choices here and there, then I'll make it fucking amazing looking.

I sleeve all of my own cables with the right color scheme, I'll paint fans, do custom case mods, custom acrylic accents, gorgeous lighting, custom water cooling loops, very tidy cable management, and take it from the realm of a good/great computer, to a piece of displayable art.

:)

(wow I sound like an ad lol)

Guys, I need some help installing gw2 on a mac :) For some reason wineskin is failing completely, so if anyone has installed it succesfully using wineskin, can they let me know how. I kinda wanna use bootcamp as a final option, I really don't wanna have to cough up 80$ for windows :(

Guys, I need some help installing gw2 on a mac :) For some reason wineskin is failing completely, so if anyone has installed it succesfully using wineskin, can they let me know how. I kinda wanna use bootcamp as a final option, I really don't wanna have to cough up 80$ for windows :(

I did it with Bootcamp. Nothing else is going to work out well considering that GW2 is a huge resource hog.

Yeah I had the same problem, and unfortunately my hard drive on my laptop isn't big enough for a partition :(

So it's either wait till I get home to the states and my desktop or.... Cmon arenanet dev me a mac version D:

Then I guess my next question is what's the cheapest way to get windows?

Pirate a copy (however, then you have to find a key or a key-hacking program) - Free, purchase a student upgrade and hack it for a clean install - $60 (40 euro), or purchase a clean install copy - ~$200.

The choice is yours.

Can you use OEM for bootcamp? It would bring the cost of a legit copy of Windows down.

32-Bit
64-bit

Last edited by a moderator:
Just downed the Nageling giant for the 4th time today. I first did this event at level 16 (the giant is 18), and got downed before it finished, without being rezzed. Now I've got the hang of dodging properly, as well as using my defensive cooldowns, it's a cakewalk, and I've gone toe-to-toe with the giant for the whole duration of the fight twice now (that's with no tank/healer/dps system), while a lot of the other players around me were going down like flies (the giant's main melee attack will one-shot you if you fail to dodge it). I love how this game has content that's equivalent to 25 man endgame raid bosses from WoW, just scattered all over the world, and available at such low levels.

Right now I really couldn't give a flying fuck about Blizzard and their half assed attempt at an expansion. I've been posting on the WoW forums for years, complaining about low level balance (class and gear), and their disinterest in doing any work on the PvP side of the game. After being either completely ignored by Blizzard, or at most fobbed off with empty promises, excuses, or outright lies by the Community Managers, all the while getting trolled mercilessly by endgame raiding fanboys (who have the CMs backing them up half the time), I've got no hope that the game's PvP or low levels are ever going to get fixed.

GW2 on the other hand has really inspired confidence. I made a post on their forums mentioning that one of the storyline quests was hard to do, probably because one of the NPCs wasn't joining in, and got a reply, not from another player telling me to shut up whining, not from some forum manager trying to shut me up with excuses, but by an actual game developer responsible for that part of the game. He didn't say he'd look into it, or that he cared about this issue and that ANet would like to see it fixed at some unknown point in the future. He said it would be fixed in the next patch. It was, within 2 weeks.

Just like with EVE Online, the ANet developers themselves post very regularly on the forums, release regular blogs and videos, and keep the players informed about what direction development is taking. As a result there are a lot less obnoxious single playstyle focused fanboys on the GW2 forums than those of WoW, telling you to shut up because they don't think your opinion is worth anything ('Level to 90. Blizzard don't care about low levels' being the favorite). The GW2 developers are right there asking you to post and replying to your posts, so there isn't an information vacuum being filled up by idiots.

It's nice being allowed to post on forums without having to be a subscriber, and probably a big reason why the devs feel they have to respond, and seem more inclined to fix the game. Those who are disatisfied with the game so much that they stop playing, can still make themselves heard, so there would really be a shitstorm if they felt they were being ignored (While the opinion voiced on WoW's forums is going to be very one sided, because the only people who can post there still have subscriptions running).

And talking of subscriptions, I don't feel the constant need to do something productive in GW2, or even log in every day, in order to justify what I'm paying for it. Combine that with the amount and variety of content available without putting too much effort into levelling, and there really is no grind to the game.

Also, 3 days until the halloween content goes live :)

GW2 on the other hand has really inspired confidence. I made a post on their forums mentioning that one of the storyline quests was hard to do, probably because one of the NPCs wasn't joining in, and got a reply, not from another player telling me to shut up whining, not from some forum manager trying to shut me up with excuses, but by an actual game developer responsible for that part of the game. He didn't say he'd look into it, or that he cared about this issue and that ANet would like to see it fixed at some unknown point in the future. He said it would be fixed in the next patch. It was, within 2 weeks.

Just like with EVE Online, the ANet developers themselves post very regularly on the forums, release regular blogs and videos, and keep the players informed about what direction development is taking. As a result there are a lot less obnoxious single playstyle focused fanboys on the GW2 forums than those of WoW, telling you to shut up because they don't think your opinion is worth anything ('Level to 90. Blizzard don't care about low levels' being the favorite). The GW2 developers are right there asking you to post and replying to your posts, so there isn't an information vacuum being filled up by idiots.

And talking of subscriptions, I don't feel the constant need to do something productive in GW2, or even log in every day, in order to justify what I'm paying for it. Combine that with the amount and variety of content available without putting too much effort into levelling, and there really is no grind to the game.

Also, 3 days until the halloween content goes live :)

These are fantastic points. I love seeing the developers post on threads; it happens with a frequency that I find amazing.

Actually, speaking of 'endgame' and leveling... now that I'm 80, the game feels even more fun because I'm not concerned with leveling. I'm even doing the same exact content, it's just that my goal isn't to level but to enjoy what I'm doing. 100% map completion here I come!

And I am SO excited for the halloween event, very interested in seeing how AN approaches it.
Edit: Hell yes! Did anyone see the jumping puzzle in the middle of Lion's Arch in the video Yasueh posted? Too cool, so ready for this event.

These are fantastic points. I love seeing the developers post on threads; it happens with a frequency that I find amazing.

Actually, speaking of 'endgame' and leveling... now that I'm 80, the game feels even more fun because I'm not concerned with leveling. I'm even doing the same exact content, it's just that my goal isn't to level but to enjoy what I'm doing. 100% map completion here I come!

And I am SO excited for the halloween event, very interested in seeing how AN approaches it.
Edit: Hell yes! Did anyone see the jumping puzzle in the middle of Lion's Arch in the video Yasueh posted? Too cool, so ready for this event.

Although I am no longer playing the game, I will really give a big thumbs up for the AN development team for just how much they listen to the community - and the frequency with which they actually implement changes to the game.

Even with very minor things (such as hiding your headgear/mask in the character selection screen if you've toggled it off)

The fact that there is no subscription makes it even better.... with WoW you could suggest/complain for certain things to be implemented and we'll get a vague blue post about how they're "looking into it" - but you could still be paying sub for another 2-3 months before there is any more feedback/news on it.... you actually have NO guarantee it'll be changed.... although WoW's GMs are on a whole level of their own on providing top quality customer service, i really think the Blizz development team just doens't come close to AN.

Not just in WoW, but also in D3 which is the most obvious example where Blizz just fails to listen to the community - so many decisions (which caused community uproar) was all about Blizzard saying "We want you to play the game a certain way" or "We do'nt want to let you do this"... and they took AGES to actually cave and realise the community was fucking annoyed with them. And by the time they reverted their retarded nazi changes, it was too late - most of the community had already quit because the game became frustrating as hell to play - it was no longer fun.

I hope AN really continues their track record of their amazing support of the game so far. Hopefully GW2 will reach a stage where I can find something that I enjoy in it and come back. :)

On a related note, I haven't properly played EVE Online in almost a year now, except to put new skills into the training queue (they level even when you're not logged into the game), or to restart the week long cycles on my planetary interaction installation (kinda like farmville, and a way to make money in the game with very little effort, again without even logging in much). Even though that's all I'm doing, I resubbed for another year.

Why? Because as far as I'm concerned, as game developers go, CCP have set the standard, and they deserve my money, even if I'm not playing it right now, just for the amount of effort they're currently putting into improving the game, and how they've really changed to listen to their players.

Summer of 2011 their new expansion was called Incarna. It's focus was a completely new feature, being able to walk your pilots around inside space stations, and dress them up (because previously you were your ship, or at least the escape capsule you lived in). The only working parts of this feature were your captain's quarters, which connected to the docking bay with your ship. The rest of the station wasn't available yet. There was also the 'Noble Exchange' the shop for wearable items.

Players had 2 major complaints about all this.

1. They didn't care about walking in stations, had a huge list of things they'd wanted to be fixed for years that had been ignored for another expansion, and they thought this one was a complete waste of time.
2. The Noble Exchange items were overpriced* (as in, cost more than a real world equivalent), and there were also rumours being leaked that 'pay to win' items might also become part of the microtransaction model CCP were working on, after they'd promised not to go near that.

The result was basically threads full of complaints on the forums, hundreds of thousands of cancelled subscriptions, and protests in game (people orbitting and firing on the monument outside the game's biggest trade station, in numbers big enough to crash the server it runs on. The WoW equivalent would be everyone piling into Varian's throne room, and spamming every spell they can to crash the server).

CCP's response? They downsized the company, cancelling other projects outside of EVE Online to focus on the main project, they posted official apologies to the players on their website and in game, and their devblogs started to show that they were now going to be working on an expansion that would focus almost entirely on fixing the backlog of problems that the players had been asking to be fixed. To top it all off, the CEO of the company made a very heartfelt apology on stage at EVE fanfest, personally accepting a lot of the responsibility for what had happened before Crucible, and promising that things would drastically change in future.

The expansion, Crucible, was released, it was a huge success, and they got back all the players they'd lost with the previous expansion. And it hasn't stopped there. The last next expansion, Inferno, was also positively received, and has focused on fixing things the players have asked for, and adding features that interest them. The big winter expansion, Retribution, is going to focus on a complete rebalancing of all the low level 'tech 1' ships, that's the frigates, destroyers (with 4 new ships in that class too) and cruisers that a player can expect to be flying in their first couple of months of playing. The idea is to ensure that all of the low end ships are viable, balanced between the 4 factions, and still usable in a game where older players fly battlecruisers, battleships and capital ships, as well as 'tech 2' versions of all the ships that have been added to the game more recently, that while they are supposed to be more capable than tech 1 ships, were sometimes a little too capable.

One very important thing I want to mention about EVE is the 'Council of Stellar Management' or CSM. This is a player elected council, made up of players from the game, who routinely go out to Iceland (where CCP is based), to discuss with the developers the direction that the players would like the game's development to take. They give feedback on existing content, and are also given access to information on unreleased content that is still in development, under an NDA, so they can say whether or not something is a good or bad idea, before it gets so far along that it's inclusion into the game is inevitable. Pre Crucible the CSM's concerns being ignored by the devs was a major part of the reason why so many cancelled their subs. Since then however, players have been able to see a lot more involvement between the developers and the CSM, not least because the CSM's posts on the forums have been a lot more positive, but because the minutes from all the meetings are made available to the players (at least the bits not covered by an NDA), so everyone can see how the developers are responding in the meetings.

So what does all this have to do with GW2 and WoW?

It shows that there is a better way to run a game, and explains just why my criticism of WoW is not only scathing and contemptuous, but utterly justified. If more people who played WoW took a look outside of that game, they wouldn't have such a high opinion of it. EVE is actually older than WoW, it has roughly the same subscription price, and it has a lot less players. With far less resources than Blizzard have to work with, CCP have managed to develop a game for practically all their players (PvP or PvE, then split again into multiple subgroups), and on top of that, the developers have the time to show just what they're doing, and how much work they're putting in. There is no 'you must play the game this way', or keeping things hidden from players almost up to the point of release. CCP develop around how the players play the game. I'm just really happy to see that ANet is a lot closer to CCP in their style of development, than they are to Blizzard.

* EVE solved the whole gold selling problem by just letting the players buy gold straight from CCP, or at least game time cards, that could be traded on the market in game for in game currency. It's a genious move, because casual players can get currency without having to grind for it, and hardcore players can basically play for free, if they can make enough money in game. The system works because basically all the play time is being payed for by someone, and no gold is being created out of thin air. Those who aren't paying for the game also do a lot to support the in game economy, because they're essentially working in the game. CCP have also really cracked down on botters and real money traders in the game, none of Blizzards pointless banwaves that give gold sellers plenty of time to make a profit. CCP ban accounts as they find them botting, and also confiscate resources from player organisations where they are shown to have profitted from the botting of members (like taking items from the guild bank, if they were put there by a botter).

Happy Halloween! The Mad King Awaits - by Açai
NuAU8.jpg

(Carved while drunk with only a pocket knife; my interpretation of the Mad King)

The Hallowed Realm drew once a near,
Where the fabric of time shed not a tear,
As the Mad King tore off its limbs,
Seeking revenge against his kins.

Black befell into what is now night,
As the laughs of a Mad Man rule by fright,
Shackle your doors and look out ahead,
For by dawn soon all will be dead.

Death picked up a gourd with a grin,
Trickery aloof as a wicked plan rose within,
A slice of horror carved out a face,
Soon to trade a human's place.

#1 thing ArenaNet and CCP have going for them: no Bobby Kotick.

Happy Belated Halloween!

Just wanted to give this thread a bump as well give some of you who bought the game incentive to try it again. If you're at all interested in sPvP, this is worth checking out!

I recently put together a new Elementalist build and it's by far the most fun I've had in sPvP so far. It is more or less an 'Auramancer' that uses signets in order to set up kills for itself or teammates. The thing that's made it exceptionally fun is that, unlike some of the other profession builds which generally focus on getting their main combo set up in order to get a kill, this build has multiple combos. It also has an incredible amount of survivability for a light armor profession.

As an Auramancer, I generally have Protection (33% damage reduction) up at all times as well as Fury (20% crit) and Swiftness. The build has 4 active ways to proc your boons. I also chose 6/6 runes of fire to increase my survivability in case I get opened on by multiple people. Additionally, I often have 6+ stacks of might (and chose Arcane Wave for its Blast Finisher in order to get 3 more on command). With 25 stacks of Bloodlust and full boons, I've reached up to 3k Power, which is.... crazy for an ele.

The build has the most trouble with other bunker builds and has a little difficulty with condition removal, but someone could switch out Arcane Wave for Cleansing Fire or something else to deal with conditions.

Anyway, wanted to share what I've been up to as well as invite some of you to try out the build! Would also love any criticism people can offer.

Salf, you noted in another thread that you needed more character slots. If GW2 store works like GW1 store, they periodically go on sale, so maybe wait until they do. Also, you got a "free" one with every campaign (excluding EoTN, which wasn't a campaign), so keep an eye out for that.

I'm still saving up for new computer so I haven't been able to play yet, but GW2 being an MMO, I'm sure it will still be going for a good while.

Users who are viewing this thread