F2P Frost Mage CC Guide. Updated for WoD.

*Neon's* job is to make it easier for thier team to kill targets not actually do the killing. At least that's my playstyle, and the one listed in this guide.

Imo boring play style and not the right style for the spec/class no matter how weak the damage may be compared to other classes.

Imo boring play style and not the right style for the spec/class no matter how weak the damage may be compared to other classes.

Nothing is boring about ccing people, taking multiple healers and dps out of the fight, come on now!

Going to sleep like 5:30 am here, will add more things and look at peoples responses tommorrow.

There is no reason why you would prefer Dawnblade and Furblog Medicine Pouch over Dignified Headmaster Charge.

Numbers scaled in a BG:

naked: 64 Int/Spellpower
your gear: + 63 Int
DHC + 79 Spellpower

You could do 61% more damage. Thats the difference of your Frostbolt critting for 238 or 386.

IMHO: Life as a new mage withough DHC sucks tremendously.

Okay I am going to respond to your questions in order keep in mind I am not always right about everything.

1. In MoP mystics scaled 1 stam higher than tattered I am guessing the same doesnt apply here, in that case tattered would be best in slot. There is no reason to gear for haste in my own opinion as it is not going to dramatically increase casting at the loss of much stamina.

2. Dpr only has 4 stamina at 20 right, even so the critical strike is not beneficial for mages as they hit like a wet noodle, they fill basicly a cc only role now.

3. Going double haste would lose tons of hp and a trinket I would highly not advise doing this.

4. Dawn/kris and furbolg are bis for a cc frost mage. Dawnblade for horde and sharpened scarlet kris for alliance. DHC is also another option I put down in case you don't have furbolgs yet.

5. Goblin is bis because rocket jump is a nice gap closer, and has endless possibilitys, jumping off ToT, going from top floor to 2nd floor in bases, etc. Blood elf is 2nd bis because of the area of effect silence, the fact it can silence 3 or more people at once is better than double health from food buffs.

On darkmoon ticket farming, I don't do that at all so I would not know where to start.
1: Belt, Cloak, DPR, DoubleHastetrinkets, Robe, Offhand = 59 Haste in BG!
2: DPR 6 Stam+9Crit+5Haste+swagbonus vs. 7 Stam Bloodring or 6stam6int Pardons...
3: Debatable but your opinion
4: no SP = wet noodle
6: I know why u wrote gob/belf but it doesnt match your playstyle. If stam+cc is what u want then go with Panda else go diff. playstyle

Neon said:
In MoP mystics scaled 1 stam higher than tattered I am guessing the same doesnt apply here, in that case tattered would be best in slot.

It was 2.

Neon said:
Dpr only has 4 stamina at 20 right, even so the critical strike is not beneficial for mages as they hit like a wet noodle, they fill basicly a cc only role now.

Try using a staff lol

Neon said:
Dawn/kris and furbolg are bis for a cc frost mage. Dawnblade for horde and sharpened scarlet kris for alliance.

No... I'm so confused it's like we are playing different expansions lol. You do realise poly DRs very quickly now, as does all CC. And reapplying the same CC after a trinket nets almost nothing. The amount of pressure you can do with a staff and +sp greatly outweighs casting poly for a 3rd time. You should have no issues staying alive and casting CC. If you were to argue haste is BiS you might have something, since getting sheep below most people's 1.5 heals/etc would be beneficial. (React to what you see, poly before it happens) But there is 0 things you need to outlive, nothing hits that hard that you can't escape.

Neon said:
Goblin Jump is a bis spell because it allows the mage to close distance between enemies

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=108843/blazing-speed 25 sec CD
http://www.wowhead.com/spell=1953/blink 15 sec CD
A 2 min trinket with a short jump isn't going to make a game. If you play ToT always it might be helpful. But play style really effects race BiS so... With gear you can show numbers. This depends on playstyle. For me I'd take the aoe silence on the group of healers that unkillable.

Neon said:
Just not the best for dps dealing

600 frostbolt crits on a 2 second cast.

Neon said:
(stamina stacking) help you live that much longer to make a gamechanging play for your team.

This sounds like MoP not WoD...

Every ability for Mage can be used as Offense or Defense. How and when you do those makes a huge difference:

Blink (Offense)
-Gain position for melee range Freeze
-Blink through big spell cast that have a positiong requirement.

Blink (Defense)
-Blink to range cast and save yourself.
-Blink FoF. They keep swinging. You have time to cast or apply another CC.

Blazing Speed (Offense)
-Close gap for melee Freeze
-Gain better position.

Blazing Speed (Defense)
-Range a spell
-Escape, it supresses all movement speed reductions. Use when heavily CC'd

Frostbolt (Offense)
-Damage ability

Frostbolt (Defense)
-Apply slows

Pet Nova (Offense)
-Freeze target while 80% through Frostbolt cast. Increase your crit chance dramitcally. Fireblast right after, both will count as casted on Shatter and crit. This is your burst.

Pet Nova (Defense)
-Peel

Polymorph (Offense)
-Poly healers

Polymorph (Defense)
-Peel stuff off yourself.

You have to bind.
You have to macro the Pet Freeze (/dismount /cast Freeze).
Place you pet on passive and macro /cast Waterbolt into your Frostbolt. It's better burst and better control.
Practice the rotations. Change up your CC to avoid DR.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was 2.

Try using a staff lol

No... I'm so confused it's like we are playing different expansions lol. You do realise poly DRs very quickly now, as does all CC. And reapplying the same CC after a trinket nets almost nothing. The amount of pressure you can do with a staff and +sp greatly outweighs casting poly for a 3rd time. You should have no issues staying alive and casting CC. If you were to argue haste is BiS you might have something, since getting sheep below most people's 1.5 heals/etc would be beneficial. (React to what you see, poly before it happens) But there is 0 things you need to outlive, nothing hits that hard that you can't escape.

Blazing Speed - Spell - World of Warcraft 25 sec CD
Blink - Spell - World of Warcraft 15 sec CD
A 2 min trinket with a short jump isn't going to make a game. If you play ToT always it might be helpful. But play style really effects race BiS so... With gear you can show numbers. This depends on playstyle. For me I'd take the aoe silence on the group of healers that unkillable.

600 frostbolt crits on a 2 second cast.

This sounds like MoP not WoD...

Every ability for Mage can be used as Offense or Defense. How and when you do those makes a huge difference:

Blink (Offense)
-Gain position for melee range Freeze
-Blink through big spell cast that have a positiong requirement.

Blink (Defense)
-Blink to range cast and save yourself.
-Blink FoF. They keep swinging. You have time to cast or apply another CC.

Blazing Speed (Offense)
-Close gap for melee Freeze
-Gain better position.

Blazing Speed (Defense)
-Range a spell
-Escape, it supresses all movement speed reductions. Use when heavily CC'd

Frostbolt (Offense)
-Damage ability

Frostbolt (Defense)
-Apply slows

Pet Nova (Offense)
-Freeze target while 80% through Frostbolt cast. Increase your crit chance dramitcally. Fireblast right after, both will count as casted on Shatter and crit. This is your burst.

Pet Nova (Defense)
-Peel

Polymorph (Offense)
-Poly healers

Polymorph (Defense)
-Peel stuff off yourself.

You have to bind.
You have to macro the Pet Freeze (/dismount /cast Freeze).
Place you pet on passive and macro /cast Waterbolt into your Frostbolt. It's better burst and better control.
Practice the rotations. Change up your CC to avoid DR.

Whatever all I knew was mytics scaled a little higher I never got that into scaling research.

Spells don't always crit, and I don't know if you notice, people have around 4k hp+ now scaled, that is terrible damage to sit around and hard cast.

All that other info you could of just kept to yourself because I think we all know what those spells can be used for, like really, go make your own mage guide.

Goblin jump > torrent because as a frost mage getting up close to use torrent can often end up over extending and dying, a mage wants to stay positioned and hidden for as long as possible while train ccing the other team, snaring melee with frost bolts, and peeling rogues with novas, and counterspelling healers.

Whatever all I knew was mytics scaled a little higher I never got that into scaling research.

Spells don't always crit, and I don't know if you notice, people have around 4k hp+ now scaled, that is terrible damage to sit around and hard cast.

All that other info you could of just kept to yourself because I think we all know what those spells can be used for, like really, go make your own mage guide.

Goblin jump > torrent because as a frost mage getting up close to use torrent can often end up over extending and dying, a mage wants to stay positioned and hidden for as long as possible while train ccing the other team, snaring melee with frost bolts, and peeling rogues with novas, and counterspelling healers.

Ok lol

I'm certainly not trying to pick a fight. I don't get the max stamina stuff but w/e maybe it will work out well.
And "all the other info" is really the only important part of a guide. Especially on a Mage, I can't think of another class that has more split-purpose abilities than this one.

I see no reason to write one myself, this site has plenty. Carry on good sir.

Well, it IS worded "Frost Mage CC guide". Maybe if it was like "Freeze! Icestorm! - A guide to Frost Mage as support" or something.

Maybe when people read "guide" they kinda expect you to go towards the most common playstyles.

But i gotta admit the idea of a stamina-stacked caster for pure cc is really fun in my head. Normally i would go with Afflilocks for that concept, but mages seems more well-rounded for the cc. Locks kinda lack slows, fear only affects one target and DrainLife can be a kickbait.

I'll give this guide a spin.

The idea of rolling a frost mage with max stam, sounds......
~~COOL~~​
Seriously, I think I'm up for it.

I would read this, but it's in Comic Sans. Why would anyone go out of their way to change to a font like that?

In the old days, we used to have to wait in line in snow up to your elbows, for a scant six hours just to buy one roll of toilet paper. Some times it was so cold that you wondered if maybe it was your time to go. But we all knew that not all the nunshkas would make it home. It was a dangerous time.

If it was a good day, and you made it to the end of the line and were not also dead, you were allowed to receive what the shopkeeper was allowed to sell. If you were lucky enough to get a single roll of 80 grit you were in for a great season!

Now we have options, but it costs 6,000 of your american dollars to buy 100 grit. Sometimes I wonder why we need a second choice?

Would you consider letting lolipopp or someone contribute for the haste/int stacking offensive style? I'm well versed in the cc style you are covering but I have heavily relied on arcane when playing an offensive role. I'd like to learn about offensive frost to become a more well rounded mage.

I was playing frost in 3s yesterday. Ended up 2v2 vs ret/monk heals and I forget what my healer was. I wasn't able to come close to a kill and feel I should have at the very least created the opportunity.

Users who are viewing this thread