EU Chance for upgrade?

idkfa

Does anyone know how high the chance for an item to upgrade is? Ive done 150 quests now, and havent seen a single upgrade.. And when the upgrade comes, I just have to cross my fingers, that its on the item I need? :p

On my Druid I have done all the human area quests Elwynn, Westfall, Red Ridge, Duskwood and only got one epic. I’m doing the dwarf areas next.

obviously I can't confirm this, but from what I've seen and heard from others it seems like the chance of green to epic is like 1/50 (2%) roughly. but there is no way of knowing for sure
For what it's worth, that matches up pretty closely to what I've been seeing (by making mental notes of others' farming totals)... which is to say 1/7 for Uncommon -> Rare, with a secondary 1/7 check for Rare -> Epic.

This is for "dropped" items (because posters have thus far been more-likely to hoard their "failed" drops than tally-up their "failed" quests)... but the general consensus appears to be quest-upgrades are "noticeably more frequent" by comparison.

obviously I can't confirm this, but from what I've seen and heard from others it seems like the chance of green to epic is like 1/50 (2%) roughly. but there is no way of knowing for sure

Personally, it feels around 1/20 to proc the upgrade, so if its green to epic its a 5% then another 5% roll to hit that. I'v done a lot of rerolls for certain items and it seems to run around that area for me. Just my experience though, rng is rng sadly.

Personally, it feels around 1/20 to proc the upgrade, so if its green to epic its a 5% then another 5% roll to hit that. I'v done a lot of rerolls for certain items and it seems to run around that area for me. Just my experience though, rng is rng sadly.
1/20 is so far off the mark compared to what I've experienced, idk what experience you have obviously. but I've done some pretty extensive testing on ptr by copying chars with quests ready to hand in, and when I did the tally I averaged around 48 chars pr epic, I've also done over 400 + rerolls on live to target epics.

Last edited:
1/20 is so far off the mark compared to what I've experienced, idk what experience you have obviously.

5% epic seemed pretty accurate to me, for WoD content, legion content, and new low level content. I doubt it varies.

I'd actually rate chance for rare even higher than 10%... but WoD/legion had those options to increase quest reward upgrade chance. Kind of skews the "data" even if just basing it on personal experience, but 5% doubled to 10% really seems realistic for legion and WoD. The newer rates seem quite similar to WoD/legion without the additional upgrade chance.

edit- also worth pointing out that "I did all the quests in <whatever> zone" isn't exactly science as not every quest rewards items. So doing 200 quests could easily result in 10 epic upgrade "procs", tho not all of the quests that fell into that offered item rewards.

5% epic seemed pretty accurate to me, for WoD content, legion content, and new low level content. I doubt it varies.

I'd actually rate chance for rare even higher than 10%... but WoD/legion had those options to increase quest reward upgrade chance. Kind of skews the "data" even if just basing it on personal experience, but 5% doubled to 10% really seems realistic for legion and WoD. The newer rates seem quite similar to WoD/legion without the additional upgrade chance.

edit- also worth pointing out that "I did all the quests in <whatever> zone" isn't exactly science as not every quest rewards items. So doing 200 quests could easily result in 10 epic upgrade "procs", tho not all of the quests that fell into that offered item rewards.
Well my experience is not from doing 200 quests in random zones. my experience is from now 450+ chars on live targeting epics and proccing 14 epic items on ptr by copying chars with quests ready to be handed in.

the 1/7 for green to blue and 1/7 for blue to epic which sin'dor mentioned is extremly close to my experience. and with those numbers the chance of green to epic would be 1/49 so basically the exact same as my experience.

Last edited:
I understand that. But that's hardly conclusive, just your experience. You could do 450 more and get 50.

I'm speaking of full expansions, dozens of characters, and similarity to that experience. Not rolling 400 dice and deciding.

I understand that. But that's hardly conclusive, just your experience. You could do 450 more and get 50.

I'm speaking of full expansions, dozens of characters, and similarity to that experience. Not rolling 400 dice and deciding.
First of all I'm not only basing it off my own experience either, It's also what I've heard from other people, read on this forum and such. and tbh I think I've had more quest rewards across the ptr and on live since this change than you had across all your chars in wod.

and tbh I think I've had more quest rewards across the ptr and on live since this change than you had across all your chars in wod.

Right... because your tiny experience is larger just because it's yours. Not like I just said dozens and spoke of entire expansions, or was just farming WoD right before the patch because that ilvl was getting grandfathered or anything.

Of course only your "findings" matter.

Years of questing on two max-character accounts vs. you and the PTR this month. Makes perfect sense. Well done.

Right... because your tiny experience is larger just because it's yours. Not like I just said dozens and spoke of entire expansions, or was just farming WoD right before the patch because that ilvl was getting grandfathered or anything.

Of course only your "findings" matter.

Years of questing on two max-character accounts vs. you and the PTR this month. Makes perfect sense. Well done.
I mean, within this one month I've easily turned in over 1500 item rewards and leveling in wod you'd probably get 50-60 items. and tbh you were the one who started trying to undermine the testing I have done, and I've spoken to so many people questing and trying to figure out shit in this patch. and not lets forget I also played in wod, I also leveled 9 characters in that shitty expansion and had countless friends who maxed 10 + characters to stay afk in their garrisons.

You're making a lot of assumptions here bossman about how "little" I've played :)

Just to toss something out there, what if they have something else coming into play then? Bad luck protection esque factor~ sure rng is rng, but with the legendary drop system in legion during the first .0 and .1 patches, i could see how every "chance" you missed on a quest upgrade adding to the pity chance to proc something eventually. That'd explain your bad luck with ptr V actual experience others have had in live. Just tossing that out there, from the 4 chars iv done all quests with decent items both horde ally, I still stand by the 1/20, maybe even a bit better odds than that.

Edit: I do a lot of multibox farming for epics currently to get stuff going for various twinks, and the 1/20 seems to add up. since it'd be 1/20 and then another 1/20 successful roll sort of deal for the epic to proc from rare. I think when I did the foam staff grind, took me 86 staves total, with around 15 being rare before I saw an epic. though rng is rng of course.

Personally, it feels around 1/20 to proc the upgrade, so if its green to epic its a 5% then another 5% roll to hit that.

...the 1/20 seems to add up. since it'd be 1/20 and then another 1/20 successful roll sort of deal for the epic to proc from rare. I think when I did the foam staff grind, took me 86 staves total, with around 15 being rare before I saw an epic. though rng is rng of course.

Umm... your own example had 86 staves total, and 16 of those were upgraded in some way; that's almost 1/5 of the time. Why do you keep saying 1/20?

Ditto. That's the point.

You leveled 9 whole characters? Wow. I guess that's way more than dozens. Your capacity for comparison is amazing.
within this one month I've easily turned in over 1500 item rewards

friends who maxed 10 + characters

spoken to so many people questing
Seems like your head dosn't have the capacity to even read 5 lines of text, unlucky.
[doublepost=1555766928,1555766510][/doublepost]
Just to toss something out there, what if they have something else coming into play then? Bad luck protection esque factor~ sure rng is rng, but with the legendary drop system in legion during the first .0 and .1 patches, i could see how every "chance" you missed on a quest upgrade adding to the pity chance to proc something eventually. That'd explain your bad luck with ptr V actual experience others have had in live. Just tossing that out there, from the 4 chars iv done all quests with decent items both horde ally, I still stand by the 1/20, maybe even a bit better odds than that.

Edit: I do a lot of multibox farming for epics currently to get stuff going for various twinks, and the 1/20 seems to add up. since it'd be 1/20 and then another 1/20 successful roll sort of deal for the epic to proc from rare. I think when I did the foam staff grind, took me 86 staves total, with around 15 being rare before I saw an epic. though rng is rng of course.
but if it's 1/20 from green to rare and then another 1/20 from rare to epic like you said then the chance for green to epic would be 1/400 tho, which is so different from everyone elses experiences.

eems like your head dosn't have the capacity to even read 5 lines of text, unlucky.
And you don't seem to have any room for any opinion that's different from yours. Unsurprising.

Experience is always susceptible to bias, and you have quite the bias built up around you, to be sure. 2% seems very low for all the success stories, especially on given specific turn-ins. Always has too. Unfortunately, it gets tossed around quite a bit (for a couple expansions, shocker) and opinions generally tend to gravitate towards following the herd.

Negative reflection is always going to be more pronounced in any opinion, and you're not accounting for that. I'd love to see your spreadsheet of specific data over your 450+ PTR turn-ins, as well as date and time.... which you obviously kept. Right?

Information is always useful.

Users who are viewing this thread