Why are we at war?

Why is the U.S. at war in the Middle East?

• Total voters
Because aliens.

Because aliens.

Ancient-Aliens.jpg

The US and the Soviet Union were the two great powers of the international system following WWII and going into the Cold War. After the Cold War, the US was a clear hegemon. A hegemon is a preponderant state capable of dominating the conduct of international political and economic relations over the entire globe.

The Long Cycle Theory is the view that the historical pattern of rivalry between great powers is cyclical. It focuses on the rise and fall of the leading global power as the central political process of the modern world system. The long cycle theory references history and argues that over time, the weight of global engagement takes its toll on the hegemon. An example is how US involvement and spending in the middle east is draining its power. As internal problems like economic crisis increase, the US will shift its focus on these and away from world affairs, while other rising powers like BRIC will take its place and gain influence to form a multipolar system. BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India China) is a group of countries that are at a similar stage of newly advanced economic development. They have broken off from the Global South and represent a shift in the global economy towards the developing world.

The long cycle theory argues that as challengers to a hegemon's power grow in strength, a global war will erupt after a long period of peace. This has occurred in every century since 1400.

The fall of the US as a hegemon and rise of countries like BRIC are setting the stage for multipolarity and the next global war. Multipolarity was in place going into WWI and II, and supports the eventual occurrence of a WWIII under a multipolarity system.

It is also important to note that due to nuclear proliferation and technological advances, non-great powers and non-state actors like terrorist groups are gaining access to nuclear and cyber weapons. These actors could potentially use these weapons due to distributional consequences or incompatible ideologies like religion or political views. Non-great powers and non-state actors have become a much larger threat compared to the 20th century.

you should really be referencing your quotes rather than just copy/pasting without citations

America is a country looking for excuses to basically take advantage of situations.

No offense, but you guys disgust me

gj in iraq u pigs

The people you should be disgusted with are the people at the top and the people at the bottom. There are plenty of Americans who dobt want to be apart of the USA's global agenda but we don't have much of a choice. Obviously the only place Americans are tolerated is in America. Don't lump everyone of us together with the wolf and sheep.

you should really be referencing your quotes rather than just copy/pasting without citations

These are all my words, other than some definitions from my textbook for my international relations class. I just spent 60 hours in the last 4 days studying for an exam very similar to this topic yesterday morning so at this point I can literally recite these things in my sleep.

I typed this up this morning while sipping coffee before my morning run in a few minutes.

Personally I see the US as a giant defense contractor, with the largest military in the world there's a reason they involve themselves in so many conflicts. Even when it's not their troops specifically in the thick of the shit they're selling weapons and training to less developed countries in need so they can fight their own wars, US isn't alone in doing this of course but they're the biggest contender.

The people you should be disgusted with are the people at the top and the people at the bottom. There are plenty of Americans who dobt want to be apart of the USA's global agenda but we don't have much of a choice. Obviously the only place Americans are tolerated is in America. Don't lump everyone of us together with the wolf and sheep.

Just as every European agrees with what their leaders do.
Surely, all Europeans follow their leaders and agree with their decisions without question. Right?? Right??? Kek..
Of coarse not... Then why would Americans?

Because we all know we would not be a here today if was not for Europe and their warring/over taxing ways.
The largest part of America's population can trace it's lineage directly to Europe. However, many Europeans cannot trace their lineage back to America. That is where we are unique. The "migrant crisis" that a some countries of Europe have chosen to bare, while admirable, is something that Americans have been doing for over two centuries. And we continue to do it to this very day. America has more Spanish speaking people than Spain does! Americans speak over 300 different languages. Can European countries state and this? Can any country in the world? The known universe? At any rate, we straying from the topic as I feared we might. I feared this would turn into "just another American bashing" thread. If you EU boys like, I can provide you with links to sites that specialize in just that.

As I stated in my first post on this subject, I am going on the presumption that Robo meant the "Western Powers" when he stated "we". Because the US has not solely "invaded" any country on their own in the Middle East. It has always been with a coalition. And that coalition has consisted of many countries from around the world. Including other Middle Eastern countries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I see the US as a giant defense contractor, with the largest military in the world there's a reason they involve themselves in so many conflicts. Even when it's not their troops specifically in the thick of the shit they're selling weapons and training to less developed countries in need so they can fight their own wars, US isn't alone in doing this of course but they're the biggest contender.

The US is far from being the most populous. That crown would go to China then South Korea. US and India are pretty close to tied.
The US is has higher defense budget. Of that, there is no doubt.

The US is far from being the most populous. That crown would go to China then South Korea. US and India are pretty close to tied.

k ur actually retarded. US population is about 320 million, and India's is about 1.2 billion. They aren't even close to tied

but anyways, here's the textbook for the definitions but it was by no means directly from the book most of the stuff is my words except for some textbook definitions like when I defined things like hegemon for exam purposes

World Politics: Trend and Transformation, 2014 - 2015, 15th Edition - Charles W. Kegley Jr. | Shannon L. Blanton - Cengage Learning - 978-1285437279

you could actually laugh about the current situation if it wouldnt be that sad..
western countries sell weapons to gulf states, gulf states give these weapons to terrorists because both groups have the same fucked up idology.. ofc we dont blame the gulf states for it because we need their fucking oil ( same reason why turkey is allowed to shit on human rights and buy oil from isis (so turkey is
isis biggest financier), because they take a few refugees)...there will always be war in the middle east, simply because this world is ruled by economists and not by politicians

k ur actually retarded. US population is about 320 million, and India's is about 1.2 billion. They aren't even close to tied

Kek... Correcting someone and you don't even know the subject matter.
And insult them to boot. Top kek goes to you!
We were discussing military population. Not country population. As this topic is centered around the war in the Middle East and the military. As opposed to flowers, song birds, fluffy clouds and civilians.

A person really should not interject themselves into a conversation unless they have read it thoroughly. They tend to make fools of themselves otherwise.

BTW, it is closer to 325 million.

Have a wonderful afternoon everyone!

Kek... Correcting someone and you don't even know the subject matter.
And insult them to boot. Top kek goes to you!
We were discussing military population. Not country population. As this topic is centered around the war in the Middle East and the military. As opposed to flowers, song birds, fluffy clouds and civilians.

A person really should not interject themselves into a conversation unless they have read it thoroughly. They tend to make fools of themselves otherwise.

BTW, it is closer to 325 million.

Have a wonderful afternoon everyone!
The US is far from being the most populous.

bye

you could actually laugh about the current situation if it wouldnt be that sad..
western countries sell weapons to gulf states, gulf states give these weapons to terrorists because both groups have the same fucked up idology.. ofc we dont blame the gulf states for it because we need their fucking oil ( same reason why turkey is allowed to shit on human rights and buy oil from isis (so turky is
isis biggest financier), because they take a few refugees)...there will always be war in the middle east, simply because this world is ruled by economists and not by politicians

So you are saying that the Middle East was at war millennia ago because of Economist? How about 500 years ago? 250? 125?
There are only a few things that have stayed constant in the Middle East. And one of them has been that it has been in a constant state of conflict. And that was long before the New World was even discovered. Even longer before America declared independence from England & King George III and was founded on it's banner of "Life, Liberty and Persuit of Happiness".
One of those constants was mentioned on the very first page in this thread. And there is very little you or I, or anyone for that matter, can every do about that one. For as soon we despose of one, another will come along to fill the void. History has told us this.

Users who are viewing this thread