When Vanilla WoW is re-released, I will be making an 'Ironman'. Some advice needed.

Hey guys, when Vanilla WoW is re-released, I will be making an 'Ironman' with pure solo gameplay: (no Quests/Dungeons/Parties/Trade Enchants/Trading/Auction House/Mail).
There are are certain Class Abilities and Class Perks that are only available through Quests, and therefore, will not be attainable for my Ironman, so I have to keep that in mind.
In order to achieve this goal, what 'Race/Class/Spec' combination would be the best choice?
Also, what professions should I choose?
I'm actually not experienced in Vanilla WoW gameplay so my knowledge on Vanilla WoW mechanics is very limited, so all feedback and advice is deeply appreciated. Thankyou.

Hi Domunique

- I would play a shadow priest
- with tailoring and enchanting.

Class - I played priest in vanilla and found it fun and very powerful, especially Shadow. Once you get shadowform the damage output increase (and the damage input decrease) was wonderful. Fear was on a shorter CD than it is now, which also helped.
(NB I wouldn't recommend holy - too weak. Holy is only for instance healing which you won't be doing).

Professions - tailoring and enchanting are standalone which will give you 'double benefits' as it were.
(I took herb/alch and spent a lot of time picking flowers (no xp); on other char (a hunter) I took mining/engi, again wouldn't recommend, engi is fun but difficult to progress in, gives few benefits (though the benefits are sometimes hilarious) and again the mining is kinda useless, just funding the engi).

Race - Priests had unique race abilities! Each race had two. I took troll, and it had these brilliant abilities: Hex of Weakness which reduced attack power of enemies (ha ha!) and Shadowgurad which not only hit a mob back when they hit me but had a substantial chance to stun them too, and there were 3 charges, which made it funny watching mobs attack me then stand still swirling their heads under a stun.
Apologies, I can't recall if these race-specific abilities were quest-triggered or not.

One thing I think you might consider relaxing in the no class quests rule - Vanilla was quite big on class quests. You will be missing out not just on gear but on some really useful abilities.

PS Contrary to everyone else I think ignoring deaths is sensible, that 'no death' style of ironman doesn't take into account that WoW is an enormous and slightly buggy game, esp in Vanilla. I more than once died by falling through the lift shaft in Undercity.

Gl & hf :)

Hi Domunique

Class - I played priest in vanilla and found it fun and very powerful, especially Shadow. Once you get shadowform the damage output increase (and the damage input decrease) was wonderful. Fear was on a shorter CD than it is now, which also helped.
(NB I wouldn't recommend holy - too weak. Holy is only for instance healing which you won't be doing).

Professions - tailoring and enchanting are standalone which will give you 'double benefits' as it were.
(I took herb/alch and spent a lot of time picking flowers (no xp); on other char (a hunter) I took mining/engi, again wouldn't recommend, engi is fun but difficult to progress in, gives few benefits (though the benefits are sometimes hilarious) and again the mining is kinda useless, just funding the engi).

Race - Priests had unique race abilities! Each race had two. I took troll, and it had these brilliant abilities: Hex of Weakness which reduced attack power of enemies (ha ha!) and Shadowgurad which not only hit a mob back when they hit me but had a substantial chance to stun them too, and there were 3 charges, which made it funny watching mobs attack me then stand still swirling their heads under a stun.
Apologies, I can't recall if these race-specific abilities were quest-triggered or not.

One thing I think you might consider relaxing in the no class quests rule - Vanilla was quite big on class quests. You will be missing out not just on gear but on some really useful abilities.

PS Contrary to everyone else I think ignoring deaths is sensible, that 'no death' style of ironman doesn't take into account that WoW is an enormous and slightly buggy game, esp in Vanilla. I more than once died by falling through the lift shaft in Undercity.

Nobody is saying its not smart to keep your character even if it dies. Just that its not Ironman.

Hi Domunique

Elevator boss will get you every time!!

/cheers

These are all very good points.
However, mage’s ability to create food comes at a much higher level in Vanilla/Classic. And you must live to get to that point. Remember die=delete. That’s the #1 rule.
Mana/food was a real real problem in vanilla. You had to drink/eat after each and every battle. As a healer in Vanilla, a large portion is f your time is drinking.

/cheers
It is not that high of a level for food and drinks, something like level 16 or 18, which is relatively early into a grind to 60.

I agree with you that mage is not a good choice if “die=delete”. Priest would be my most preferrable pick for pure ironman.

I made my post with the intention of following the original poster’s rules, and not for pure ironman.

Users who are viewing this thread