Time to Farm The Winter Hat...

Seems like the only Humanoids that have some actual database proof of dropping a Winter Hat are the Southsea Cutthroat pirates on Fray Island in the southeastern part of Northern Barrens.

Whenever I get home, this is the location I will be farming until time ends.

On another note, I just finished my last final.

Officially on holiday break as of... now. :cool:

What are the results? Have you tried it?

You can farm it on Ruk Ruk village like me and double :)

I killed over 2000 of those guys and nothing, now I'm going around killing vermin, couldn't get GM confirmation that they still drop off low level mobs still, and WatcherDev hasn't answered the question on twitter yet. Now it may just be absurdely low. But chances are the totals listed on wowhead is including all the kills during non holiday times as well which would bring the percentage down to less than it should be.

I have a neutral Pandaren on the Wandering Isle... it'd be neat if the mobs there had a chance of dropping it, as well..

There was, at least last year, I screenshotted someone who had gotten it there, just wish there was confirmation that it still drops and if there is indeed a level range cut off for farming for it off low level mobs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got mine withou trying when doing tranquillen rep for cloak :0

could u take screenshot?
My house does not have internet at the moment as I'm home from school . I will see about getting on after Christmas for the presents and when I do I will take a screanie . Sorry but that's the best I can do right now :(

I calculated the actual drop % based on the Wowhead database, since there drop % only count 2 decimals. My calculated drop rate for the winter hat from the Fray Island pirates were 0.00005%

The actual drop rate is likely much higher than this. The problem is that Wowhead tracks kills year-round, but the hats only have a chance to drop during the holiday.

I farmed the Fray Island pirates for my hat last year and I'd estimate it took around 8 hours. Can't say whether or not that's typical, as RNG is what it is, but that was my experience. The nice thing about farming there is that the pirates might also still be able to drop the Deckhand's Shirt (not totally sure on that one) and you also get a boat-load of Steamweedle Cartel rep in the process.

The actual drop rate is likely much higher than this. The problem is that Wowhead tracks kills year-round, but the hats only have a chance to drop during the holiday.

I farmed the Fray Island pirates for my hat last year and I'd estimate it took around 8 hours. Can't say whether or not that's typical, as RNG is what it is, but that was my experience. The nice thing about farming there is that the pirates might also still be able to drop the Deckhand's Shirt (not totally sure on that one) and you also get a boat-load of Steamweedle Cartel rep in the process.

SO true. That factor completely escaped my mind. Feeling more optimistic about that now, lol.

I killed over 2000 of those guys and nothing, now I'm going around killing vermin, couldn't get GM confirmation that they still drop off low level mobs still, and WatcherDev hasn't answered the question on twitter yet. Now it may just be absurdely low. But chances are the totals listed on wowhead is including all the kills during non holiday times as well which would bring the percentage down to less than it should be.

There was, at least last year, I screenshotted someone who had gotten it there, just wish there was confirmation that it still drops and if there is indeed a level range cut off for farming for it off low level mobs.

I'm not a GM, but here's proof! Probably about half an hour of farming. I was only killing the Deepscale Tormentors, so those are definitely dropping the hat. I'm super excited but I also feel bad for you. RNG sucks. :(

mFkHMPZ.png

Part of me wonders if it does a level check before dropping that to higher levels. Guess I will continue to farm it when I'm on, I can kill mobs in that area but the ship is long gone in my phasing.

Congrats!

Part of me wonders if it does a level check before dropping that to higher levels. Guess I will continue to farm it when I'm on, I can kill mobs in that area but the ship is long gone in my phasing.

Congrats!

Thank you! And that's actually a great theory. Since you're a high enough level to participate in the heroic dungeons that it always drops in, maybe it won't drop out in the world. Seems a bit cruel to program it like that, but they have done stranger things. Maybe you could bring that up in your ticket, if you still have it open.

Thank you! And that's actually a great theory. Since you're a high enough level to participate in the heroic dungeons that it always drops in, maybe it won't drop out in the world. Seems a bit cruel to program it like that, but they have done stranger things. Maybe you could bring that up in your ticket, if you still have it open.

Mmmm, I could bring/group my trial account to the area I'm farming in and hope it shows up on need/greed. But as for GMs The one I was talking to doesn't seem to see them on the list of things that drop, and asked me to ask WatcherDev, but they do clearly drop as you have posted further proof that they are still no restricted to only heroics.

Mmmm, I could bring/group my trial account to the area I'm farming in and hope it shows up on need/greed. But as for GMs The one I was talking to doesn't seem to see them on the list of things that drop, and asked me to ask WatcherDev, but they do clearly drop as you have posted further proof that they are still no restricted to only heroics.

Players have obtained the hats from the level 5 murlocs near goldshire while being level 20. I would say that you simply need to spend more time farming for it to show up, as they are quite rare. I doubt the level of the mob and your character has any effect.

Users who are viewing this thread