Solo PVE twinking thread!

Dragynslayer

Veteran
Hey guys, I wanted to create a thread where people who are doing solo twink stuff (and other pve twinking!) can come to discuss, ask questions, or offer input about what they are doing. I know I have several threads up about the various Classic Dungeonmaster challenges, but they are all class specific and I wanted something more general where we could all chat about stuff ;) .

In case anyone was wondering, I am working on my 6th solo pvp challenge and expect to complete it in the next 2 days or so. After that I will be turning my attention to the solo guide with the emphasis on getting your Classic Dungeonmaster run, and what to expect from your class. I will also reveal some info that I discovered, and know is going to help a lot of you folks out there nail this challenge into the ground! I will be continuing the challenge over the next few months with classes that seem to not be equipped to handle it, and will see where I get. I've done the theorycraft for a lot of them so I'm excited to see if I'm correct!

So, how is everyone's solo challenges going?
Shoutout to Hawtbutter for his solo run in BFD as well!
I included a fun pic, downed Felreaver solo back in January after my solo challenge!

Attachments

• WoWScrnShot_010321_201816.jpg
    WoWScrnShot_010321_201816.jpg
    566.4 KB · Views: 346
Last edited:
I've decided to take a break from the solo F2P stuff until the next DMF or holiday starts (Noblegarden? probably). The achievements I have left to get are largely profession related, which has been absolutely draining to do (but many ARE doable), and PvP related which is just grinding wins and getting REALLY lucky as a solo queue. Speaking of holidays though, only two achievements were unobtainable by a solo F2P for Love is in the Air:
nolove.png

That being said, I have quite a bit of store credit on my other account from something forever ago so I'm checking out WoW Classic on a RPPvP server! I absolutely plan to play TBC Classic when it launches (was my first dive into WoW and I LOVED IT!) so I'm leveling a Shadow Priest to be, uh, PREPARED.

Oh and yesterday was the first day ever I didn't login and play since the prepatch :O
nolifer.png

But I still come here everyday without fail to see if anything cool pops up (like this thread :) )

Last edited:
@Vyvenem Nice bro!
I have 3 60s on classic, 2 horde and one alliance. What faction are you? I'm thinking of doing TBC at least all the way to tier 5. After that who knows lol :p.

I'm not gonna complain about not being able to do some stuff (as you well know) since we can do so much as lvl 20's now but man....I really wish we could do more!

On a side note as well, are you interested in any level 30 stuff?

I’m actually messing around “multi boxing” right now with my main account (subbed) and four other accounts (unsubbed).

I’m not using any software whatsoever, so maybe it’s not technically multiboxing, per se, but basically functions similarly without using the programs that broadcast one keystroke out to multiple game clients simultaneously, which is now banned.

I’m doing it using a combination of Xmouse Window Tracking, which is a setting in Windows where the focus of windows can follow the mouse pointer (so you don’t have to Alt-Tab or actually click into the separate windows. I’ve also messed with one of the settings so basically the millisecond my mouse hovers over a different window it switches to that window and I can start casting abilities.

So, yeah, I’m experimenting with that and then a bunch of rather simple keybinds for following and assisting my main on the slave characters... pretty damn fun actually! I currently have a x5 Protection Paladin group and also a x5 Arcane Mage group; all characters currently at level 13 and trying to decide if I’ll want to turn off exp at 14, 15, or just let them level to 20 (and turn off exp on my paid subscription).

The groups are super effective in dungeons and really fun to play — I’m trying to think what other combos would be fun (melee would naturally be more difficult due to positioning and being more limited with the /follow macro, which still doesn’t line the characters directly on top of one another).

I guess the main thing is I’m having a blast and don’t feel any pressure in running a dungeon 500 times for one piece or stressing out about anything.

It is interesting though just how many prepuber douchebags play this game and will immediately ride up to you and say they reported you without even saying anything else, lol. Good thing I’ve never broken the ToS I guess!

Pure FTP main is questing through Outland (now in Nagrand), harvesting songbells for the Ironpaw tokens for the Nomi bell in Pandaland, and still working on enchanting. On the same account I have been leveling a few other toons for fun (I got a level 33 wep on a Pala after just 2 relic rewards, gonna try to do all 3 artifacts).

I made a vet account out of a dead HS account and geared up a 50 and retired her at the Steam Pools with Johnny Awesome. I missed playing the 6 ftp instances, and Chromie says she'll let me play some on that account.

I'm slowly levelling a drood in Classic. It might be ready for BC, or it might end up like my hunter.

After ragequitting from SL, I'm back to working on my renown and staying away from the Maw. It's just depressing.

@Zorch Nice man! I did some mboxing back in the day but not my cup of tea. It's super fun to do instances with though!
@tyr3d I feel ya man, the classic x stuff is so grindy compared to retail. I did private servers for like 10+ years though for vanilla play, and played retail wow in 05 onwards til pandaland. Classic and TBC leveling = oof. Also, man I hate Shadowlands past the storyline stuff. I hate the mandatory grinding for maintenance and the lack of creativity for doing stuff in Torghast sadly. I saw so much potential there and was so pumped for it. Anywho yeah yeah I don't like it and am loving my twinks again :p

It's just about showtime for my first Classic Dungeonmaster run on my Lock. I have a subbed account so I've been using my 60 hunter to farm gems and leveled JC on that character since buying Talasite in my AH is darn near impossible. I still want to pick up a few pieces of quest gear but am hoping to hit Stockades this weekend in what I'm calling "good enough in slot" gear.

@brettqpublic Awesome man, excited to hear how you do!

Hogger is down, I repeat, Hogger is down! I still need to get a few pieces of quest gear but with what I had, blinged out in the finest, genuine imination, Seaspray Emerald socketed gear, I felt like it was time to take a test drive in the Stockades. I honestly struggeld, and died a couple of times with affliction, but had a pretty easy time of it as destruction. The problem with affliction I ran into was I couldn't keep pace with the 3 elite mobs. However, with destruction, I could quickly get that pack to a manageable size. Hogger took a hair over 5 minutes, but I felt in control of the fight, and I still need to pick up some gear so I feel pretty good about that.

Thanks again for the inspiration and advice! More updates to follow!

@brettqpublic My man, that is sick! Congrats. Stocks is actually a a higher bar than most think, the 3 packs are pretty tough and a good indicator of whether you are ready or not. Same with Hogger as well. I'm glad to hear your run went well, and it will only get better as you go. Great job mate!

I'm expecting to be done with my 6th solo challenge tomorrow. I would do it tonight but I have to wake up early to run some kids through their Gung Fu belt tests :D. Looking forward to see how they do. I will try if able to finish the run tomorrow and put the write up for it up as well once I complete the challenge. After that I am going to finish the Classic DUngeonmaster solo guide for the community so it's literally right around the corner. Very excited!

Some folks have asked what my next project is once I complete this: Here's a hint - Who's into level 30 stuff?
I will attempt a few more classes throughout the year but I wont be pushing them hard for the lvl 20 material. Lvl 30 is going to get my attention... I got some doozies planned!

Thank you, @Dragynslayer! Seriously could not/would not have attempted this journey without all of your posts and replies. You and @Vyvenem are absolutely killing it. I can't wait to see the guide and am super intrigued about the future projects. In particular, I wonder what makes 30 special? 20's is the clear cutting point for the Vet/F2P community. I'll stay tuned!

Good luck to the kids tomorrow. Sweep the leg!

@brettqpublic My man, that is sick! Congrats. Stocks is actually a a higher bar than most think, the 3 packs are pretty tough and a good indicator of whether you are ready or not. Same with Hogger as well. I'm glad to hear your run went well, and it will only get better as you go. Great job mate!

I'm expecting to be done with my 6th solo challenge tomorrow. I would do it tonight but I have to wake up early to run some kids through their Gung Fu belt tests :D. Looking forward to see how they do. I will try if able to finish the run tomorrow and put the write up for it up as well once I complete the challenge. After that I am going to finish the Classic DUngeonmaster solo guide for the community so it's literally right around the corner. Very excited!

Some folks have asked what my next project is once I complete this: Here's a hint - Who's into level 30 stuff?
I will attempt a few more classes throughout the year but I wont be pushing them hard for the lvl 20 material. Lvl 30 is going to get my attention... I got some doozies planned!
I am making a lev 30 hunter in a quest to find more "hard" bosses ;)

I could use some advice on Shadow Labyrinth as I'm trying to solo it for the two pieces of quest gear. I ran into a brick wall with the first boss and his fear effect. I swapped to affliction and almost had him. I think if I pick up the trinket that breaks fear I could do it.

So I decided to skirt past him. Died a bunch of times due to bad pulls in the church area for the 2nd boss because I couldn't seem to pull less than half the room unless I was on the wings. Made it up to the platform for the boss, tossed Curse of Weakness on him, and the whole room rushed the stage.

Help!

@brettqpublic Shadow labs is pretty hard. The only thing I can tell you that I think would make a difference is to get super far from teh first boss, and let VW do the work. Make sure to stay topped off at all times. If you need to, start resummoning blueberry if he gets too low and you can't funnel him b/c you are going risk getting 87'd on a fear. The trinket can help you in clutch, but I think the play adjustment will fixt that. As far as the second room goes, that room is very hard. You have to clear the whol place, if you engage the boss he will pull the whole room. Start clearing from the wings, but make sure you keep blueberry on a super tight lease. You basically want to park and passive him, and pull your mobs to him in his safe space. After that you can put him on what you need as norma. I strongly suggest pulling back into the main hall or the corner of the room to get started though. Once you break that little barrier you should be good to go. LMK if you have any other questions.

Thanks, @Dragynslayer! I may give it another go tomorrow when I'm fresh. Alternatively, I may see if my pal Skippy will give me a carry so I can complete the quests and give it another go after I complete the main challenge.

I could use some advice on Shadow Labyrinth as I'm trying to solo it for the two pieces of quest gear. I ran into a brick wall with the first boss and his fear effect. I swapped to affliction and almost had him. I think if I pick up the trinket that breaks fear I could do it.

So I decided to skirt past him. Died a bunch of times due to bad pulls in the church area for the 2nd boss because I couldn't seem to pull less than half the room unless I was on the wings. Made it up to the platform for the boss, tossed Curse of Weakness on him, and the whole room rushed the stage.

Help!

Hey man, I did it solo with a lock some time ago for the quests, I would not recommend.
First boss skip;
Second boss - demonology with felguard spin talent to clean the room, affli for actual boss;
Third boss - same felguard to clear packs (he will pull them), i think I went back to affly for the boss but I'm not sure, I think I killed adds (2 dots and then affli cleave) and not kited them;
Last boss - same demo trick to clear area, affly for boss, pet won't care about the sonic boom, you should be far enough by the pillars, just mind the silence and time your dots/drain life/pet healing considering it (you will get a dot that tells exacly when you get silenced).

It took way too long, way too fcking long.

Thanks @stickyo ! I wanted to take a break from doing level 20, and try some fresh ground. I am still interested in doing the other classes (like DH - I actually have one hehe), but it would be nice to see if anyone else is interested in doing the others. I've experienced almost all of the content available for level 20 across my toons, and was satisfied with 6. To be frank, figuring out the data and writing the guide were really my main goals, besides personally challenging myself. I've been secretly planning this level 30 run for a long time now. It's exactly the next level of challenge I'm looking for. The new level of difficulty in general, as well as the addition of heroic modes and raids is right where I want to be. I know it's not as popular a level to twink at, but man it's fun for me. I also know i won't be able to do all of the content, and I would love to raid the unsoloables with minimum sized groups to see just how few we could get away with and clear content!

@Billyballo that's sound advice. I fortunately had a lv 60 friend carry me in about ten minutes. Rough estimate, it probably would have taken at least 30-40 just to clear the room for the 2nd boss.

Users who are viewing this thread