F2P Salfir's Warlock Guide

This is a great guide but I wonder if it accurately reflects what's going on in 5.4.

A buddy recently rolled a lock and reminded me I haven't played mine in a long time. Went through all three specs and found all three weak as kittens comparatively. With heals I was able to do top tier damage as destro, but traded most of the utility and fun factor of the other specs.

For the other specs,…dude where's my damage…? Corruption ticks for 16 as demo and 26 as afflict. For either my s.bolts were from 200-250. I'm 10 points off average twinked sp…gear isn't ideal. Fyi, UA ticks for 40. A quest geared hunters serpent sting ticks for 100...

Demo damage was dogshit to the point that I felt bad taking a dps slot. I did second tier damage as Afflic….but zero kbs…so no killing power or real pressure.

Back to the guide, most of the linked players are either inactive or are now destro. Which leads me to the conclusion that destro is the only way to go in bg's and demo and afflict are throwbacks to a better lock patch or little more than a romantic notion of what the class could be.

I was considering rolling a lock for arena play, but now I'm kinda stuck. I know destro can do well but the spec is dull and there are a lot of other classes that can do as well and bring as much or more to the table.

Anyone have any experience in arena recently playing something other than destro?

This is a great guide but I wonder if it accurately reflects what's going on in 5.4.

A buddy recently rolled a lock and reminded me I haven't played mine in a long time. Went through all three specs and found all three weak as kittens comparatively. With heals I was able to do top tier damage as destro, but traded most of the utility and fun factor of the other specs.

For the other specs,…dude where's my damage…? Corruption ticks for 16 as demo and 26 as afflict. For either my s.bolts were from 200-250. I'm 10 points off average twinked sp…gear isn't ideal. Fyi, UA ticks for 40. A quest geared hunters serpent sting ticks for 100...

Demo damage was dogshit to the point that I felt bad taking a dps slot. I did second tier damage as Afflic….but zero kbs…so no killing power or real pressure.

Back to the guide, most of the linked players are either inactive or are now destro. Which leads me to the conclusion that destro is the only way to go in bg's and demo and afflict are throwbacks to a better lock patch or little more than a romantic notion of what the class could be.

I was considering rolling a lock for arena play, but now I'm kinda stuck. I know destro can do well but the spec is dull and there are a lot of other classes that can do as well and bring as much or more to the table.

Anyone have any experience in arena recently playing something other than destro?

Demo can be played in arena if the opposing team consists of heavy melee classes such as rogues warriors ferals. You can kite with hand of guldan and leap away with demonic leap. You can also use demonic leap to get a fear on the healer if he's positioning himself well. The damage is not like destro at all, but it's still decent. I recommend speccing into harvest life to make drain life your filler spell to do damage. Demon form also increases the damage by 150%. But most of the time you will be playing destro.

Return to top

Conclusion

Thanks to all of TI, AP, and Yasueh for establishing and supporting such a fantastic community and encouraging me to roll a warlock as well as write this guide. Hopefully it will be of use. Thanks also to all of the writers of the other guides or film-makers I referenced: Deadvulcano, Yde, Dorigon, Pinochet, Rhaellia, DubbsBegins, Hue, Kore nametooshort, Imbao, Solvogero.

Hopefully this guide will encourage others in creating warlocks and getting to experience the master class :)

If anyone has any suggestions, additional information, useful links, or criticism, feel free to comment. This guide should be a work in progress, so please contribute to make it better!

The Alliance armories are inactive. You should add Barks @ Ravenholdt - Community - World of Warcraft . A very good warlock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey!

After 4 years of playing WoW I finally rolled a warlock (hello [MENTION=14560]Fael[/MENTION] ;) ) and I have a few questions:

1. "Methamorphosis prevents the use of Corruption and Hand of Gul'dan". I checked 10 times on 10 different mobs and I ALWAYS could cast corruption when I was in the demon form. Anyone can tell me if that's normal?

2. Soul Fire - I've read that it's weak and I think that 4 sec of hard cast is too much in any pvp, but it's dmg is increased by my crit chance - if, in theory, one created pure glass cannon lock (for example human in WoD, with +3% crit and +3% haste - ofc we can't be sure this will work like that) and stack crit and int I think it could net up some pretty high damage.

3. any begginner-intermediate jumps I can learn with demo leap or demo leap + goblin jump? Would appreciate any videos or written tips ;)

Thanks for answers in advance

Hey!

After 4 years of playing WoW I finally rolled a warlock (hello [MENTION=14560]Fael[/MENTION] ;) ) and I have a few questions:

1. "Methamorphosis prevents the use of Corruption and Hand of Gul'dan". I checked 10 times on 10 different mobs and I ALWAYS could cast corruption when I was in the demon form. Anyone can tell me if that's normal?

Thanks for answers in advance
No that's not normal, seems like a bug. It's confirmed that Corruption can be cast while in Demon Form. The 24.00% Damage buff does not apply to Corruption if used in Demon form. Hand of Gul'dan still can't be cast while in Demon Form.

What would bis destro lock look like? Also what would the best dps stat be, int or crit ?

it all depends on how you play your lock, for me crit is the way to go, simply because no matter how much stam you stack, rogues still blow you up, so go crit heavy and watch them die in a fear, also best vs healers. Macro /petattack to incinerate, and do incinerate->immolate->conflag, if at max distance they all hit in a gcd, along with a couple of firebolts from your Imp, bis burst dmg.
But it is very positioning reliant, so if you normally play hunter, I would advise against tryin lock :)
Link in Sig to bis crit destro.
dpr and mot trinket is not always equipped.

it all depends on how you play your lock, for me crit is the way to go, simply because no matter how much stam you stack, rogues still blow you up, so go crit heavy and watch them die in a fear, also best vs healers. Macro /petattack to incinerate, and do incinerate->immolate->conflag, if at max distance they all hit in a gcd, along with a couple of firebolts from your Imp, bis burst dmg.
But it is very positioning reliant, so if you normally play hunter, I would advise against tryin lock :)
Link in Sig to bis crit destro.
dpr and mot trinket is not always equipped.

Yeah it's not like I main a warlock or anything,, :p.
was just asking what's bis. I like int over crit, just personal preference.

Yeah it's not like I main a warlock or anything,, :p.
was just asking what's bis. I like int over crit, just personal preference.

Hehe ;)
What I was hinting at, is that I wouldn't say there is a BiS lock outfit, since It's so playstyle dependant.
But given the burstiNess of the bracket, go crit heavy and burst then down before they get you :)
I've mained locks since tbc, Damn I miss tbc aff locks was so lol

Hehe ;)
What I was hinting at, is that I wouldn't say there is a BiS lock outfit, since It's so playstyle dependant.
But given the burstiNess of the bracket, go crit heavy and burst then down before they get you :)
I've mained locks since tbc, Damn I miss tbc aff locks was so lol
Agreed :)
I definitely liked Cata warlocks more than MoP locks. (Started in cata so don't know anything about tbc locks, you hipster :p. )

Agreed :)
I definitely liked Cata warlocks more than MoP locks. (Started in cata so don't know anything about tbc locks, you hipster :p. )

Tbc aff lock was so evil! Siphon life was a spammable dot and you could use corruption along with immolate.. dotcity biatches!
1v3 no problem :p

Imp

Used to be the best due to its 10% extra health but 5.2 severely nerfed the imp. Its biggest claim to fame is sustained ranged dps — if it is able to hardcast freely it will do the most damage but is otherwise second tier.

still best but caus of passive singe magic ^^
most locks seem to forget about it
Imp: Singe Magic - Spell - World of Warcraft
10 sec cd !! Who needs a trinket? ^^

But if your a lazylock and cba micro managing ur pet... roll hunter!

Last edited:

it works like the succy seduction, if u get hoj' ed, poly'd, cs or feared, it dispels it... every 10 sec :p
I honestly thought it was common knowledge, just noticed 2day it wasnt in the guide ^^

Auto-Cast:
Cast upon master when he is unable to cast spells due to a magic effect.

Last edited:
it works like the succy seduction, if u get hoj' ed, poly'd, cs or feared, it dispels it... every 10 sec :p
I honestly thought it was common knowledge, just noticed 2day it wasnt in the guide ^^

Auto-Cast:
Cast upon master when he is unable to cast spells due to a magic effect.

Wow, that I did not know. That's the fuckin tits!

Wow, that I did not know. That's the fuckin tits!

ssssh it's a big secret doe! :p

it's not 100% reliable tho, as sometimes demons can throw bitch-fits, and just deny u any.. dispel .. xD

also nah, the tits are in my new avatar ^^
they not real tho..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread