Religion & God

If you understand natural selection and genetics, it becomes very obvious that evolution is an everyday reality. The fact that you question its validity is pretty foolish, especially based on the opinions of a person who openly claims he isn't a biologist. We have been able to create very specific phylogenic trees mapping evolution. There is no question that everything came from one common ancestor given the similarities in DNA of every organism on this planet.

Next time you meet a redneck, ask them if there were dinosaurs on Noah's Ark. They literally teach kids in catholic schools that dinosaurs and humans used to live together in harmony. The fact that half of America still believes that the Earth is less than 10,000 years old is just hilarious to me. I'm fine with people of faith practicing their religion, just don't try to justify obvious scientific facts of life with kooky religious fantasies.

What would your definition of a "redneck" be?

/cheers

Redneck is such a wide term. Are we talking Mississippi Redneck, Alaska Redneck, Florida Redneck? I've heard rumors of Canadian Rednecks.

That is why I asked.
In my opinion there are "rednecks" in every continent.
I have met some European and Eastern block "rednecks".

/cheers

As I see it:

Religions arise mostly from the desire for security in the face of death, which science doesn't provide.

Because an eternal afterlife and rebirth are not (to my understanding) provable or disprovable via the scientific method, science tends toward annihilationism / materialism / hedonism, and so it can clash with teachings on morals / virtues.

If the world is the work of a Creator God, everything has arisen in dependence on It - ignorance, hate, anger, sorrow, atomic bombs, "the Devil," etc. Therefore I find a Creator God blameworthy and not worth faith. If "Its ways are not our own," then faith there is blind.

Not all religions are Abrahamic. As I see it, virtues have freedom from remorse as their reward / purpose.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love these youtube videos where a faith-based concept is "proven" or "disproven" scientifically or philosophically.

Pastafarian aka The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is the way to go, you get some great dmv perks and everyone loves a nice plate of pasta. they also have a cool website, unlike god.

Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Pastafarian Wins Right to Wear Colander in DMV Photo : People.com

havetouched.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Cosmological Argument appears to hinge on the assumption that there was THE beginning, as opposed to A beginning, as in cycles. But that's just my perception.

Users who are viewing this thread