Religion & God

My skygod is better than your skygod so you deserve to die
no way, my sky god has a cooler backstory so YOU deserve to die!

I would like there to be a God, but I haven't seen sufficient proof that He exists (sufficient, meaning enough to change my heart/mind). I believe there was most likely something greater than this existence, prior to this existence— as something does not come from nothing—but knowing that, intellectually, still does not change the feeling in my heart that He doesn't exist.

On the other hand, I see atheism being its own religion, and it suffers from the same fallacies as the religions it critiques.

I've come to believe agnosticism as being the only intellectually defensible position. But that is subject to change, if new evidence should be revealed.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of people like to criticize religion, without knowing much about it apart from what the media portrays to them, religion "controls" the masses, says the ones who are controlled by the media / news.

It is a real thing, though. (Edit: yeah it isn't tangible, I agree. Derpy me) I'm not speaking for our measurements of it (seconds/hours/etc), but time itself. The distortion in space around each individual mass. Just like gravity, and associated with it as well.

Imagine yourself on a trampoline, sitting in the center. The distortion in space-time from a planet's mass is resembled by that warped surface of the Trampoline around your body. An object closer to this distortion will age/weather less than an object further from this distortion, as time will go faster the closer you are to the center.

Now our earth, though very big and dense, has a very weak example, almost to the point where it would take thousands of years to observe. But near something with the density such as black hole (as dense as an entire star, if not multiple in a small compact space), and you were to get close enough to it without being spaggetified, and left after a while of Netflix and chill, you would come back to a home entirely different.

Now the movie interstellar was a good representation of this, but it went pretty Yolo in terms of theoretical accuracy at the very end, since the center of a black hole is supposedly timeless. Don't know about any 4th dimensional stuff.

Boy it's getting sciency in here.

You can't forget the effects of velocity time dilation.
The clocks on the space shuttle would run slightly slower when in orbit. But when on terra they would be synchronized with mission control here in Houston.
ISS astronauts age slightly less than humans on earth is another example.

I could go on and on trying to explain time dilation. But, as Robo here explained Gravitational Time Dilation is at play for the the ISS astronauts as well. Velocity and gravity each slow down time as they increase. Gravity has decreased, speeding up time( they experience less gravity than here on Earth). Whereas velocity has increased, slowing down time(ISS travels ~18,000 mph/29,000kmh). At any rate, ISS astronauts end up with slower time because one effect is stronger than the other. The Velocity Time Dilation is stronger than the Gravitational Time Dilation.
I hope everyone understands now.

/cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
This is exactly why we can't get anything done in America

By your responses in this thread, it is very apparent that you are not educated in the subject. I would highly recommend learning about the idea of natural selection, genetics and evolution in general. Here is a good place to start:

https://www.khanacademy.org/science/biology/her

I can respect your strong belief in God, but it is foolish to discard scientific truths and facts in the process.

The response i gave you was a quick one because i had to go and get some sleep for it was 12:30 AM already, i had school at 7:30 AM.

I am very well educated on Evolution, but the video i posted made me change my point of view, although Epichealtime made a really strong point, that William Lane Craig was a mere layman and that is just his point of view. Now on the other hand, explaining Evolution in a biological way - It is any change on the heritable traits within a population across generations, and as Charles Darwin explained, Natural selection plays a big part in it and is one of the three concepts on evolution. The other two are 1. Descent with modifications and 2. Common Descent. Where 1. is a fact, based on when children are born, they look slightly different from their parents or each other, descending from their parents with modifications. And the differences found in offspring are partially due to random genetic mutations. And 2. Is Common Descent - Which in other words, is the idea of every specie in our planet is related, and that they descended from one common ancestor. The second though is a conclusion based on facts, from fossils, genetics, comparative anatomy, biochemistry, mathematics and species distribution. With distribution i mean, the creatures that are on an island will adapt to it and evolve. Where as the creatures that live in dessert will adapt to that kind of land and will evolve, in order to survive. Natural Selection in other words is the process by which random evolutionary changes are selected for by nature in a consistent, orderly, non-random way.

Yapah also gave a good example of evolution on a Bacteria.

Science: Tacowarrior is the best.

Religion: Tacowarrior is the best.

Time isn't something tangible that you can hold or look at, it's an idea conceived by people and how we measure it revolves around our environment. Not to say nothing continues, everything still goes on whether or not we count it with seconds / minutes / years as it always has and always will... but Lenny was saying "god" created time in a "timeless reality". That's why I said what I said

I am not saying that God appears in a human form, it is damn unwise to say so and i never did say so. The cosmological argument arrives at the conclusion that for life to start, there must be something to start it. Lets talk about big bang, it created everything, a gigantic explosion. What was it caused by ? The scientific view today is that the universe, time energy and matter,came in existence, in a finite time in the past. That is what i'm pointing out. I understand the point you make trial, but what is your view on the big bang ?

The response i gave you was a quick one because i had to go and get some sleep for it was 12:30 AM already, i had school at 7:30 AM.

I am very well educated on Evolution, but the video i posted made me change my point of view, although Epichealtime made a really strong point, that William Lane Craig was a mere layman and that is just his point of view. Now on the other hand, explaining Evolution in a biological way - It is any change on the heritable traits within a population across generations, and as Charles Darwin explained, Natural selection plays a big part in it and is one of the three concepts on evolution. The other two are 1. Descent with modifications and 2. Common Descent. Where 1. is a fact, based on when children are born, they look slightly different from their parents or each other, descending from their parents with modifications. And the differences found in offspring are partially due to random genetic mutations. And 2. Is Common Descent - Which in other words, is the idea of every specie in our planet is related, and that they descended from one common ancestor. The second though is a conclusion based on facts, from fossils, genetics, comparative anatomy, biochemistry, mathematics and species distribution. With distribution i mean, the creatures that are on an island will adapt to it and evolve. Where as the creatures that live in dessert will adapt to that kind of land and will evolve, in order to survive. Natural Selection in other words is the process by which random evolutionary changes are selected for by nature in a consistent, orderly, non-random way.

If you understand natural selection and genetics, it becomes very obvious that evolution is an everyday reality. The fact that you question its validity is pretty foolish, especially based on the opinions of a person who openly claims he isn't a biologist. We have been able to create very specific phylogenic trees mapping evolution. There is no question that everything came from one common ancestor given the similarities in DNA of every organism on this planet.

Next time you meet a redneck, ask them if there were dinosaurs on Noah's Ark. They literally teach kids in catholic schools that dinosaurs and humans used to live together in harmony. The fact that half of America still believes that the Earth is less than 10,000 years old is just hilarious to me. I'm fine with people of faith practicing their religion, just don't try to justify obvious scientific facts of life with kooky religious fantasies.

I am not saying that God appears in a human form, it is damn unwise to say so and i never did say so. The cosmological argument arrives at the conclusion that for life to start, there must be something to start it. Lets talk about big bang, it created everything, a gigantic explosion. What was it caused by ? The scientific view today is that the universe, time energy and matter,came in existence, in a finite time in the past. That is what i'm pointing out. I understand the point you make trial, but what is your view on the big bang ?

Do you believe the creator to have created everything, even the Big Bang, in a scientific and advancely explainable way? Or in a mystical way? If you believe it to be a knowledgable extra terrestrial outside the boundaries of our universe (multiverse in theory), then I can understand. The video wasn't really in direct reply to you, more or less a viewpoint I share on the topic in general. I acknowledge the beliefs in superstitious things, I just haven't been convinced of it, and probably won't be in my lifetime.

But I guess you can look at it this way, the universe may very well be a work of art that the artist did not sign. And moved on to another project. It's a question that may never be answered, and will forever remain a paradox.

You can only ever think of evolution in a biological way..... when in regards to plants/mammals/fish/bacteria etc and so on.

I think that people see beauty in life, and assume there must be a creator. I think the beauty in it, is that it is random. How cut and dry it must be for everything to be set-in-stone.

We see on a scale, large enough for beauty to sink in, where as if we had vision on a microscopic level, everything would seem messy and chaotic.

Last edited:
But I guess you can look at it this way, the universe may very well be a work of art that the artist did not sign. And moved on to another project. It's a question that may never be answered, and will forever remain a paradox.

And it is that artist that i am referring to, as God. But the word forever may be too strong as well. We, humanity, are a work in progress, discovering different things with the passing of decades.

Users who are viewing this thread