PTR (Possible) New Things in Shadowlands

But .... but ..... why do you remove the fun part of looking for what achievs you can do? It's my favorite part :(
I'm positive I missed quite a few :)
So even if we cant do islands we can hit the 50 mounts checkpoint as pure f2p ?
I'm not sure. I don't know the amount of mounts F2Ps currently can acquire. Also, I can't confirm any of the mounts listed yet, it's mostly speculation.
how about profs
digrat in2 that
It seems I misplaced a few bits from my original post. I've added them back and there's a bit about professions there. But of course, we can't really test professions on PTR as F2Ps don't exist on the PTR.
Has someone tested killing BFA world bosses on PTR and seeing if we can get loot?

I want this boi Slightly Damp Pile of Fur
Might be kinda hard to test on the PTR. I'll see if I can solo him.

Edit: Yeah, I died lol.

Last edited:
Every piece of gear dropped by him requires Level 50 on PTR so it's unlikely the Mount (which requires 113+ to drop on Live) would now drop for lower Levels. That being said, it is Beta after all and so much is screwed right now.

@Weko
Have there been any crazy or fun items found for F2P players on PTR that we should try to grab on day 1 before they're hotfixed/removed?
Feel free to discuss anything about Shadowlands stuff here yo :eek:

As for your question, I'm not sure there is anything. Maybe make sure you have Marks of Honor to buy your gems as soon as possible. No clue if they'll be removed or hotfixed but they're really strong and I'm pretty paranoid about them personally. Definitely gonna be one of the first things I do.

Other things to maybe consider would be picking up Charred Locket as well as being mindful of your artifact weapon. It seems we'll beable to enchant them despite the level restriction on enchants (for example, Enchant 2H Weapon - Minor Impact can't be applied to items higher than ilvl 44), if we do so before we raise the weapons ilvl via socketing relics. Thus we'll have a ilvl 49 weapon with an ilvl 44 enchant.

Of course, none of this is 100% certain. But just somethings to keep in mind. I hope that helps!

@Weko

Feel free to discuss anything about Shadowlands stuff here yo :eek:

As for your question, I'm not sure there is anything. Maybe make sure you have Marks of Honor to buy your gems as soon as possible. No clue if they'll be removed or hotfixed but they're really strong and I'm pretty paranoid about them personally. Definitely gonna be one of the first things I do.

Other things to maybe consider would be picking up Charred Locket as well as being mindful of your artifact weapon. It seems we'll beable to enchant them despite the level restriction on enchants (for example, Enchant 2H Weapon - Minor Impact can't be applied to items higher than ilvl 44), if we do so before we raise the weapons ilvl via socketing relics. Thus we'll have a ilvl 49 weapon with an ilvl 44 enchant.

Of course, none of this is 100% certain. But just somethings to keep in mind. I hope that helps!
As I haven't been keeping up with Shadowlands news, I'm very lost as to what any of this means lol. MoH to buy gems... does that mean we'll be getting sockets?
Also, what does the Charrled Locket do exactly? I wasn't even aware we'd be able to get Legion artifacts! This is all so exciting! :D

As I haven't been keeping up with Shadowlands news, I'm very lost as to what any of this means lol. MoH to buy gems... does that mean we'll be getting sockets?
Also, what does the Charrled Locket do exactly? I wasn't even aware we'd be able to get Legion artifacts! This is all so exciting! :D
Yes, we should beable to acquire TBC gear. Some classes will have more than others but most will have anywhere from 10 to 12 or so I think. Currently, there are some gems that are sold from PvP vendors (only gems F2Ps will have access to, as far as I know). These gems have +5 intel/agi and +5 crit. Sadly, there's no str gems but the crit is enough to give you around 50% crit rating. Each gem will cost you a mark or honor.

Charred locket allows you to get the Alaina's Bonnet transmog. You get this during the intro quest to open Legion content. I suppose you could always get it on another toon but figured I would mention it to save you the trouble. Best to get it on the way, assuming we can get it. But I think we should beable to.

We will beable to get artifact weapons and on top of that, they seem like they will be bis for every class/spec, unless I am missing something. This is the ptr though, we won't know for sure until it goes live. Who knows the restrictions that will be placed on us.

we'll be getting sockets?
oh yea.

So hey, starting from square 1:

SL is going to squish every in level. Its a sliding scale but us F2P are gonna get squished right in half. SL is also re-imagining the whole leveling experience. So theres this brand new starter zone for 1-10, and then you get to choose (via Chromie) what xpac you wanna go from 10-50 in. No, seriously... pick your xpac. You want BFA content? WOTLK? WOD? you got it. Not *all* of it, mind you, but a solid chunk of it.

This includes a grip of dungeons for every xpac (except Cata, wompwomp) and a huge number of quests, vendors, maybe profs? who knows! But you sure do get sockets. For sure.

oh yea.

So hey, starting from square 1:

SL is going to squish every in level. Its a sliding scale but us F2P are gonna get squished right in half. SL is also re-imagining the whole leveling experience. So theres this brand new starter zone for 1-10, and then you get to choose (via Chromie) what xpac you wanna go from 10-50 in. No, seriously... pick your xpac. You want BFA content? WOTLK? WOD? you got it. Not *all* of it, mind you, but a solid chunk of it.

This includes a grip of dungeons for every xpac (except Cata, wompwomp) and a huge number of quests, vendors, maybe profs? who knows! But you sure do get sockets. For sure.
Thank you for the run down. It sounds like there's about to be a plethora of new content for starter editions! It sounds like that also means a plethora of new gear for us to farm and min/max which is always fun.

Yes, we should beable to acquire TBC gear. Some classes will have more than others but most will have anywhere from 10 to 12 or so I think. Currently, there are some gems that are sold from PvP vendors (only gems F2Ps will have access to, as far as I know). These gems have +5 intel/agi and +5 crit. Sadly, there's no str gems but the crit is enough to give you around 50% crit rating. Each gem will cost you a mark or honor.

Charred locket allows you to get the Alaina's Bonnet transmog. You get this during the intro quest to open Legion content. I suppose you could always get it on another toon but figured I would mention it to save you the trouble. Best to get it on the way, assuming we can get it. But I think we should beable to.

We will beable to get artifact weapons and on top of that, they seem like they will be bis for every class/spec, unless I am missing something. This is the ptr though, we won't know for sure until it goes live. Who knows the restrictions that will be placed on us.
So you think we should save up our MoH to buy up those gems when SL launches? It sounds like maybe they will be removed or hotfixed for us starter editions?

The idea of starter editions with Legion artifact weapons is just cracking me up. I think they're really mixing it up for Shadowlands!

Thank you for the run down. It sounds like there's about to be a plethora of new content for starter editions! It sounds like that also means a plethora of new gear for us to farm and min/max which is always fun.

So you think we should save up our MoH to buy up those gems when SL launches? It sounds like maybe they will be removed or hotfixed for us starter editions?

The idea of starter editions with Legion artifact weapons is just cracking me up. I think they're really mixing it up for Shadowlands!
so right now, the MOH gems are insane. They may get scaled down later but even if they do, the stat allocation is still really good for everyone but lolstrength users. As a shaman, you'll probably want to make sure you have 36 MOH at minimum for a full slate of agi/crit and a full slate of int/crit.

I don’t think Chromie will work for F2P’s or Vets who don’t have a lvl 120 or at least linked to an account with one.
We can still access other X-Pacs but not be able to line up for random dungeons in that X-Pac.
I’m looking forward to soloing dungeons..... though some are very tough. One of the bosses in the Burial Grounds grabs ya and downs u in secs, so going to take a bit to work to find out how to solo them.
F2P’s may only have access to BFA dungeons via Dungeon Finder.
That’s what I’m noticing on PTR right now.

We'll have access to a ton of different trinkets and there will definitely be some min/maxing for those and even secondary stats including mastery as that's now a thing for us.

I would suggest stocking up on some MoH now, just in case, the gems seem 'unstable' for lack of a better word and I could easily see something happening to them. You wouldn't want to miss out on those. There's also some meta gems, so you might want to grab some of those too, the stats are a bit weaker but they may provide some nice benefits.

As for Legion artifact weapons, I think it would be impossible to scale down Legion content and lock some zones due to how interwoven everything was that expansion. It was literally the "level anywhere you want" expansion and the artifact weapons were completely entangled.
I don’t think Chromie will work for F2P’s or Vets who don’t have a lvl 120 or at least linked to an account with one.
We can still access other X-Pacs but not be able to line up for random dungeons in that X-Pac.
I’m looking forward to soloing dungeons..... though some are very tough. One of the bosses in the Burial Grounds grabs ya and downs u in secs, so going to take a bit to work to find out how to solo them.
F2P’s may only have access to BFA dungeons via Dungeon Finder.
That’s what I’m noticing on PTR right now.
Is there any real benefit to Chromie? Did they remove dungeon queue? Looks like it's gone currently.

Is there any real benefit to Chromie?
I havent had the patience to test it yet *but* I think it might be that going through Chromie scales the whole xpac content to your level, while not going through Chromie means you'll eventually run up against content that you cant access.

It'll require me (or someone) questing through, say, Northrend and once they get through howling fjord/borean tundra, seeing if they can continue questing on in both Chromie Time and Not Chromie Time because the starter zones are the only ones that are indicated as level 10.

I havent had the patience to test it yet *but* I think it might be that going through Chromie scales the whole xpac content to your level, while not going through Chromie means you'll eventually run up against content that you cant access.

It'll require me (or someone) questing through, say, Northrend and once they get through howling fjord/borean tundra, seeing if they can continue questing on in both Chromie Time and Not Chromie Time because the starter zones are the only ones that are indicated as level 10.
Well....... Chop Chop....... get to it :p

Ahh, I see. That sounds pretty sweet :(

Btw, I checked the Mists of Pandaria timewalking vendor on the ptr.

WoWScrnShot_090120_110141.jpg

What if u access that vendor while having mop selected at chromie?
I don't even have the chromie thing unlocked. I thought it was only for accounts with a level 50 :eek:
@Rhaellia got another 1 4 u
can 10s access tol barad
Tabard works.
WoWScrnShot_090120_122509.jpg

Can't use the portal back.
WoWScrnShot_090120_122641.jpg

Can't be ported there by a mage.
WoWScrnShot_090120_123304.jpg

This is bad. I'm not able to fully test summon but I tried to start the summon and got this.
WoWScrnShot_090120_123644.jpg

I don't even have the chromie thing unlocked. I thought it was only for accounts with a level 50 :eek:

Tabard works.
View attachment 16654

View attachment 16655

View attachment 16656

This is bad. I'm not able to fully test summon but I tried to start the summon and got this.
View attachment 16657
A while ago there was an alpha patch note with a string that said something along the lines of “transfer aborted: character not high enough level”

this is mostly towards instances. we all remember Molten core etc with the trick.

but something to consider for other stuff. I guess tol Barad is open world so it wouldn’t effect that.

well shit! guess we all better start grinding for them tabards right the fuck now.

Regarding Tol Barad - currently on live you cant use a mage port now, only lock summon if you dont have the tabard.

On PTR, even in chromie time for cata, TB is outside of our level, including ports both in camp at at baradin hold, which require lv 30. All gear req lv 30-32 from vendor.

A while ago there was an alpha patch note with a string that said something along the lines of “transfer aborted: character not high enough level”

this is mostly towards instances. we all remember Molten core etc with the trick.

but something to consider for other stuff. I guess tol Barad is open world so it wouldn’t effect that.
Not sure I understand what you mean yo :eek:
well shit! guess we all better start grinding for them tabards right the fuck now.
I would definitely get them, if you want them. I always felt like Tol Barad was goona get fixed, only a matter of time.
Regarding Tol Barad - currently on live you cant use a mage port now, only lock summon if you dont have the tabard.

On PTR, even in chromie time for cata, TB is outside of our level, including ports both in camp at at baradin hold, which require lv 30. All gear req lv 30-32 from vendor.
Oh derp. I forgot wasn't the mage portal always level locked? It's been awhile. I think I was summoned via the summoning stone.

Would be willing to help test the stone and warlock summon on the PTR if anyone is interested.

Users who are viewing this thread