[MOP] Arcane Mage Guide

Re: Arcane Mage Guide

I'm wondering why there is a 5th arcance blast before arcane barrage.

Is it because of the 50% plus damage of the last stack (4th arcane charge)?

Or is there a mechanic that the 4th arcane blast (4th arcane charge) doesnt count for the final arcane barrage because
it stacks up after hitting and no after finishing the cast?

Missing info about talent choice, races, etc.

Keep on to finish the to a nice guide,

Gattuso

Last edited by a moderator:

Tobinofear - You cast 4 times, after the 4 casts you then output the most damage (the 4th cast outputs 3 charges)

Mialo/Tobinofear - It's a work in progress, there is going to be a lot more information very soon.. classes, talents, gearing choices and other stuff! (got work soon, will hopefully be finished today/tomorrow)

Thanks for this, I'm just about to level a mage so this guide couldn't have come at a better time.

Most of the (few) mages I see in BGs are either Arcane or Frost, I assume by this that fire is dead?

I'll move it once its done. Sent me a PM and I'll review it. You might want to change the green and red tho. Its hard on the eyes. Use brighter colors like white, yellow, light blue, orange, ... Also, only use colors for headers, give these headers a size increment and maybe add numbers and a table of contents.

I'll move it once its done. Sent me a PM and I'll review it. You might want to change the green and red tho. Its hard on the eyes. Use brighter colors like white, yellow, light blue, orange, ... Also, only use colors for headers, give these headers a size increment and maybe add numbers and a table of contents.

Sent you a PM.

If anyone has any information they want to add to this guide all is welcome, please post on here or PM me and I will put it up! thanks

/focus [@focus,exists][@mouseover] none; 1st use you set your mouseover on focus, 2nd use = clearfocus target
/focus [@focus,exists] none; 1st use you set your target on focus, 2nd use = clearfocus target

if you want to have only one macro to set/ clear focustarget!

think frost/ pet macros are not welcome here , so i dont want post it here!!

btw nice guide! greets medo!

Last edited by a moderator:

Nice guide, maybe show some mage friendly add-ons, and position yourself by good healers in mid fights, or AB fights.

They can’t cast backwards (unless your Onixx, spamming denounce through your back).

Kudos for this ;)

I would personally weigh Hitcap before everything else. You say you don't miss that often, but I say 1 missed Polymorph can lose your game. And I'd rather sacrifice 7+6 Int from DEoB and CR for 1+5 Stam and Hitcap from Rune and SouL. But that's just me :)

Minor spelling errors, minor grammar errors. Orcs are MORE resistant to Stuns, not less. Worgen can be Mages as well. Goblins and Blood Elves have max base-Int (might be important for min-maxers). UD is the best horde-race for mages imo, especially for arenas. The racial you mentioned with ' You also have a chance on hit to deal a little bit more damage to enemies and gain a bit of health.' is called Touch of the Grave. Pandas make the best Frost mages with max base-stam and more stam from food. Quaking Palm is an incapacitate, not a stun, it is considered a physical ability therefore affected by dodge, parry AND block as well as expertise and the obvious hit.

I would personally not use an unconfigured InterruptBar, I've heard from various sources that it can show (e.g) Kicks from rogues 100yds away (in AB for example) which is hardly useful. I recommend getting Icicle from wowinterface.com or VialCooldowns from curse.com instead, what those addons do, is showing enemy cooldowns (configurable) on their respective nameplates (works with default UI and TidyPlates).

Blood Elf is a better pick unless something has changed recently...

I said 'imo' - actually, I play my mage UD because only then can I be a seksi dedmen with max YOLOSWAG /flex :)

Of course Arcane Torrent is a really good ability, but so are WotF and TotG.

Kudos for this ;)

I would personally weigh Hitcap before everything else. You say you don't miss that often, but I say 1 missed Polymorph can lose your game. And I'd rather sacrifice 7+6 Int from DEoB and CR for 1+5 Stam and Hitcap from Rune and SouL. But that's just me :)

Minor spelling errors, minor grammar errors. Orcs are MORE resistant to Stuns, not less. Worgen can be Mages as well. Goblins and Blood Elves have max base-Int (might be important for min-maxers). UD is the best horde-race for mages imo, especially for arenas. The racial you mentioned with ' You also have a chance on hit to deal a little bit more damage to enemies and gain a bit of health.' is called Touch of the Grave. Pandas make the best Frost mages with max base-stam and more stam from food. Quaking Palm is an incapacitate, not a stun, it is considered a physical ability therefore affected by dodge, parry AND block as well as expertise and the obvious hit.

I would personally not use an unconfigured InterruptBar, I've heard from various sources that it can show (e.g) Kicks from rogues 100yds away (in AB for example) which is hardly useful. I recommend getting Icicle from wowinterface.com or VialCooldowns from curse.com instead, what those addons do, is showing enemy cooldowns (configurable) on their respective nameplates (works with default UI and TidyPlates).

Thanks for all this mate! :D

My writing skills suck hard, was never good at English in school ><
I am going to still add stuff to it (I didn't add Worgens - derp). Thanks for letting me know about the addons, I will check them out asap! I will go over it after i have finished adding stuff to it and clean up the spelling, grammar mistakes.

On a side note: Would you like to add anything to the guide (would appreciate it!) - I'm not as detailed as yourself with some technical stuff.

What determines which targets the additional barrage missiles hit? How close do targets have to be clumped for that to be effective? Which talent do you recommend for beginners?

Blazing speed for everything. PoM for arenas.

What determines which targets the additional barrage missiles hit? How close do targets have to be clumped for that to be effective? Which talent do you recommend for beginners?

First question - I am not actually sure.. I assume it hits the closest targets around the current target. and not too close! i suppose the same radius as an AoE nova. And for Blazing Speed... Until you are geared properly its hard to output damage and hard to survive until you progress. Blazing Speed is a brilliant escape talent! >< Hope that helps.

On a side note: Would you like to add anything to the guide (would appreciate it!) - I'm not as detailed as yourself with some technical stuff.

You should definitely link all the abilities, spells and racials you mention in this guide to wowhead. 'TotG' might tell you and me what it is, but someone new won't have a clue, that it means Touch of the Grave :)

Users who are viewing this thread