Microsoft's acquisition and the future of WoW

Game of Thrones, 2022 version.

I think this buyout is a good thing. Microsoft isn't the best of companies either, but they did make some good games (Halo, Age of Empires 2 DE, Age of Empires 4). It already gives hope for a possible Warcraft IV.

Regarding F2P, obviously this buyout will have consequences. We'll have to see if WoW will be added to the gamepass (or not). I personally think there will be major changes to the free trial. Either more restrictive changes or less restrictive changes.

WoW free to play only became a reality in 2011, from the time WoW experienced a drop in subscribers due to the arrival of Cataclysm and the fall of WotLK.

Their goal has always been to welcome new players to encourage them to subscribe later on. That's why they put so many limits on the free trial. The exasperation created forced players to subscribe.

Then they lowered these limits from Shadowlands onwards. We never knew the exact reason, but it's probably because they suffered another major loss of players. The competition with FFXIV probably made them want to keep as many old players as possible, so they wouldn't have to go feed the competition.

If WoW is added to the gamepass, there will undoubtedly be new players. Perhaps gamepass will be the new form of a WoW subscription. If you don't have gamepass, you are limited to the core content of the game - with several limitations. WoW Starter Edition, basically, version 2.0.

It's really the deal of the century, this buyout by Microsoft. I never thought I would see this. Welcome to Game of Thrones, video game version.

The beauty of the story is that we saw these WoW limits as a way to have fun since 2011. A daily challenge to be the best in PvP or PvE. We'll see if that's still the case for 2023.

Excuse me but all of your predictions are wrong.
Big tech are fighting for metaverse, this picture summarizes what WoW is going to turn in to:
upload_2022-1-21_12-31-39.png

Meh, im setting my expectations extremely low. I wont waste time speculating or believing corperate talk untill I see changes made.

After Microsoft bought Skype it was getting worse and worse almost every update. Finally I had to uninstall it and start to use alternatives. (E.g it was completely unusable when installed on multiple devices under the same account.) I honestly hope they won't ruin WOW like that.

Game of Thrones, 2022 version.

I think this buyout is a good thing. Microsoft isn't the best of companies either, but they did make some good games (Halo, Age of Empires 2 DE, Age of Empires 4). It already gives hope for a possible Warcraft IV.

Regarding F2P, obviously this buyout will have consequences. We'll have to see if WoW will be added to the gamepass (or not). I personally think there will be major changes to the free trial. Either more restrictive changes or less restrictive changes.

WoW free to play only became a reality in 2011, from the time WoW experienced a drop in subscribers due to the arrival of Cataclysm and the fall of WotLK.

Their goal has always been to welcome new players to encourage them to subscribe later on. That's why they put so many limits on the free trial. The exasperation created forced players to subscribe.

Then they lowered these limits from Shadowlands onwards. We never knew the exact reason, but it's probably because they suffered another major loss of players. The competition with FFXIV probably made them want to keep as many old players as possible, so they wouldn't have to go feed the competition.

If WoW is added to the gamepass, there will undoubtedly be new players. Perhaps gamepass will be the new form of a WoW subscription. If you don't have gamepass, you are limited to the core content of the game - with several limitations. WoW Starter Edition, basically, version 2.0.

It's really the deal of the century, this buyout by Microsoft. I never thought I would see this. Welcome to Game of Thrones, video game version.

The beauty of the story is that we saw these WoW limits as a way to have fun since 2011. A daily challenge to be the best in PvP or PvE. We'll see if that's still the case for 2023.
Level 20 level cap and 100 profession cap was the main restrictions to make you sub, almost all of the restrictions are to discourage f2p accounts being used by gold sellers.

You main a huntard, dont you
I do have a MM hunter along with a Disc priest, MW monk, arcane mage, fury warrior, and sublety rogue. At first I stayed away from playing healers as I thought it'd be too difficult on the controller. But the disc priest is my favorite and I love playing MW monk and holy pally. I'll probably gear up the pally next so I can add him as an alternative choice to play cause the MW monk is pretty boring imo.

I work at a computer all day for work. The controller helps me sit somewhere more comfy and not use a keyboard / mouse. Most people probably think it will be too difficult on the controller or that you would be limited by the number of buttons on a controller. There is a limit, but even the specs with the most buttons still fit on the controller (warrior, hunter, and holy pally). I haven't played death knight or demon hunter, and warlock extensively, so these may have more buttons than can fit.

I'm not quite sure the intent of your post, but I can assure you that no matter your opinion of playing on a controller, I'll be having the gaming time of my life regardless.

It was my understanding that monopolies only apply to essential products or services, which entertainment is not?
I mean even with that being said, not like it doesn't happen in that area either.
9173664_orig.jpg
Thats not a monopoly. Unless one brand buys all the others its an oligarchy. But yes monopoly laws apply to entertainment, Disney for example had to sell off the Fox sports affiliates because they werent allowed to own them and ESPN.

Disney for example had to sell off the Fox sports affiliates because they werent allowed to own them and ESPN.
huh, never knew that.
welp, I'll let whoever has a hand in the gov't pocket to make that decision

antitrust's a thing well b4 this goes into like, hard monopolyland :FrogeConcern:

Users who are viewing this thread