Life on other planets than earth!

And it's depressing to me when it feels as if we haven't advanced our space-faring technology in 50+ years now. The new space program recently announced by NASA simply looks like a glorified rediscovery of the Apollo program. Seems to me that priorities are slightly out of whack.

Zuty said:
Do I really need to? You're telling me out of the billions of galaxies out there, each housing billions of planets, Earth is the ONLY one with life? Again, you'd have to be an idiot to think that. The planet also doesn't have to have conditions that would be perfect for us for life to exist; I can't exactly recall what it was, but scientists discovered an organism that lived in an extreme environment without needing oxygen to survive, it was living off of like ... sulfur or something like that instead.

The lifeforms could be simple and microscopic or much smarter and larger than us; it doesn't matter, life is life.

~Zuty

You are refering to the bacteria in the mojave that metabolize sulfuric acid and an entire ecosystem at the bottom of the gulf of mexico that does the same thing. However, the step from one kind of bacteria to another is microscopic in comparison to the step of matter becoming life. While the universe may be infinitly vast, there is not indication that matter is infitite as well. People often mistake "the universe is infinite" for "matter (and by extension galaxies, planets, and solar systems) is infinite.

Given the unlikelyhood of matter becoming life and the (presumably) finite nature of matter, I don't think it's prideful to consider the possibility that earth is the only planet that sustains life. There is still so much we don't know, and may never know, about how life came to earth.

Painaid said:
And it's depressing to me when it feels as if we haven't advanced our space-faring technology in 50+ years now. The new space program recently announced by NASA simply looks like a glorified rediscovery of the Apollo program. Seems to me that priorities are slightly out of whack.

Agreed with this post... except the last part. We still use dead plants / animals for energy, I don't think we will be traveling to distant galaxies any time soon. Within the lifetime of today's generation, maybe, but within the next 10-15 years... I don't think so.

It would really be miraculous if NASA proved me wrong though... grew up on star wars, I practically dream of living in the distant future.

Rivfader said:
You are refering to the bacteria in the mojave that metabolize sulfuric acid and an entire ecosystem at the bottom of the gulf of mexico that does the same thing. However, the step from one kind of bacteria to another is microscopic in comparison to the step of matter becoming life. While the universe may be infinitly vast, there is not indication that matter is infitite as well. People often mistake "the universe is infinite" for "matter (and by extension galaxies, planets, and solar systems) is infinite.

Given the unlikelyhood of matter becoming life and the (presumably) finite nature of matter, I don't think it's prideful to consider the possibility that earth is the only planet that sustains life. There is still so much we don't know, and may never know, about how life came to earth.

Drake Equation

Druiddroid said:
never, actually, not within a few billion years anyways

this. until we discover some physics loophole that would allow for faster than light travel or some sort of "worm hole" short cut we could activate its all pointless anways.

nasa was great back in the day to inspire the nation and also help for arms r&d....but now our money is better off in more tangible places

Turtlezyo said:
you'd have to be stupid to not think that something exist without any proofs (before now, but you say it like that was your thought all along before this discovery)

and you just said lol to something that was about religion

cool story brah

So out of the infinite amount of planets and star systems out there, you think Earth is the only one with life on it? Also, religion ... lol

Cloud said:
I just really want life on another planet.

It's out there, will you meet these other lifeforms in your life time or even see images on them? Probably not, but who knows. If we all stopped fighting for 5 minutes and/or got rid of religion, we'd have light sabers and be colonizing planets.

~Zuty

Zuty said:
So out of the infinite amount of planets and star systems out there, you think Earth is the only one with life on it? Also, religion ... lol

This should get an infraction for trolling. I never said I didn't agree, but the fact that you assume something with no proof and make fun of religion at the same time is being a dumb douchebag with a narrow vision of the world around him and with no respect to others and their religion.

Don't assume I'm religious. Just pointing out that you're a douche

Painaid said:

& Just imagine if all the brainpower that went into weapons technology went into space travel instead.

Zuty said:

~Zuty

Universe, infinite. Matter, finite. There is no guarentee that there is an infinite number of planets. Your argument is as much of a copout as religion is "Well there's lots of planets so at least one must have life". You can't prove a negative, so the burden of proof is on you. Until then you're just making assumptions.

Rivfader said:
Universe, infinite. Matter, finite. There is no guarentee that there is an infinite number of planets. Your argument is as much of a copout as religion is "Well there's lots of planets so at least one must have life". You can't prove a negative, so the burden of proof is on you. Until then you're just making assumptions.

it's a copout? the chance of life existing depends on the Drake equation, the part of it that is difficult is placing what value for each variable and making it accurate. that is the proof

Druiddroid said:
never, actually, not within a few billion years anyways

I love how you said

few billions.

I kinda laughed my ass off.

We went from animals to what we are now in about 200 000 Years.

But you expect us to be able to move deeper in the space only in a ''few'' '''''''Billions''''''' years. Funny boy.

Earth is 4 Billions years old and you expect the human being to take this much time to be able to go into another galaxy, I lol'd, really lol'd.

You know how many times 200 000 enter in a billion? 5000 Times.

In a 1/5000 billion years we've been able to come from unintelligent creature to space discoveries and theories. And you, captain obvious, expect us to take 4999/5000 to move in the space, how funny that statement was.

Our ENTIRE Universe is a mere microscopic speckle on a 40 yr old virgins thumb in the next Dimension, so if he snaps his fingers because he won his first premade we all go down the drain...

Think about it tinkers

P.S Premades are active in the next dimension

Why do people keep citing the Drake Equation when its very foundation is pure conjecture? Until we know how exactly life is formed there is no way to come up with any reasonable predictions for how many planets may contain life.

Rivfader said:
Why do people keep citing the Drake Equation when its very foundation is pure conjecture? Until we know how exactly life is formed there is no way to come up with any reasonable predictions for how many planets may contain life.

Exactly. The Drake Equation is not evidence. 50 years from now even, people will probably laugh their ass off at our 'estimations' that we are currently drawing. Pure conjecture.

There could be an entire galactic community out there in the Milky Way alone, a la Mass Effect. Or we could be the only sentient life out there. We don't know. We're still in the infancy of discovering just our own galaxy, let alone the universe.

Bankbeauty said:
I love how you said

few billions.

I kinda laughed my ass off.

We went from animals to what we are now in about 200 000 Years.

But you expect us to be able to move deeper in the space only in a ''few'' '''''''Billions''''''' years. Funny boy.

Earth is 4 Billions years old and you expect the human being to take this much time to be able to go into another galaxy, I lol'd, really lol'd.

You know how many times 200 000 enter in a billion? 5000 Times.

In a 1/5000 billion years we've been able to come from unintelligent creature to space discoveries and theories. And you, captain obvious, expect us to take 4999/5000 to move in the space, how funny that statement was.

I would tend to agree. A few billion years is a tad bit of an exaggeration. Our knowledge just in the past three hundred years has increased exponentially. I don't think the ability to travel across the galaxy is so far of a distant leap that it would require such a long time.

Painaid said:
I would tend to agree. A few billion years is a tad bit of an exaggeration. Our knowledge just in the past three hundred years has increased exponentially. I don't think the ability to travel across the galaxy is so far of a distant leap that it would require such a long time.

Exact. I mean, I'm not saying, that in 20 years it's gonna be thing done. But few billions years just make no sense. No sense.

Awesome said:
Agreed with this post... except the last part. We still use dead plants / animals for energy, I don't think we will be traveling to distant galaxies any time soon. Within the lifetime of today's generation, maybe, but within the next 10-15 years... I don't think so.

It would really be miraculous if NASA proved me wrong though... grew up on star wars, I practically dream of living in the distant future.

Hard to say how far out we are. A top priority though should be looking for a better and more reliable source of fuel to escape the earth's gravitational pull. I'd personally still like the explore the idea of a space elevator. It's been shown to be possible. Half the job is simply trying to get supplies and people out of earth's pull.

Rivfader said:

I really don't see how that is a cop-out at all. Our planet is not even a spec on the spectrum of the entire galaxy, on top of that there are an infinite amount of dimensions/realities. So at the end of the day you really think that no life exists beyond Earth? That's idiotic and egoistic.

@Turtlezyo - Ironic that you call be narrow-minded when that's how religion works. I strongly dislike religion, it's ruined our world and caused nothing but problems. Nothing else needs to be said about it; it's how I feel and nothing will change my mind on the subject matter.

~Zuty

Users who are viewing this thread