Legend
Content
  • Info
  • Race
  • Talents
  • DPS rotations
  • gear

Info
Welcome to my guide, my purpose with this guide is to create an image of how you should play hunter. I’m not saying that this guide can make you pro, but it can help you in the long run. I play a hunter myself, but he isn’t fully geared so I’m not too proud to show him off. But that have no effect on this guide.

Race

Horde

Orcs: have the passive ability to deal 2% more damage from their pets, while they still have a ability to increase attack power with 42 for 15 sec. This can be very useful in combat.

Trolls: have the ability to increase haste with 20% for 10 sec and they deal 1% more with ranged weapons. First on, 20% of the amount of haste you have in 24 is not much, but it is some. The 1% more damage from your ranged weapon can be useful in some situations.

These are the two racial I recommend as horde, but I will always take orc over troll.

Alliance

Dwarfs: you gain 1% weapon damage, so it’s kind of the same as the trolls. You also gain the ability to use Stoneform, which makes you take 10% less damage for 8 seconds. This can come in handy in tight situations.

Humans: you have the ability to break out of stuns and CC’s as a racial ability, this makes you able to have two trinkets. Again this is situational.

Night elfs: you have the ability to flee out of combat, to get un-targeted. You also have 2% more change to dodge enemy attacks.

Worgens: your crit change is increased, as well with an ability to run faster for a short amount of time. This gives you a possibility to kite your enemies around while you kill you them.

Draneis: you have a self-heal, which can be a very big advanced when there are no healers around. Otherwise I wouldn’t really recommend this class.

Pandarians: you have the ability to put people to sleep for a few seconds, again this isn’t the best class to play hunter as.
From my perspective, dwarfs are the best class on the alliance side.

Talents
At the moment the only spec worth using is survival, the other specs are way too under powered. So chose survival,chose Posthaste or Narrow Escape it's probably the best two from the three talents. Since you don’t need to use disengage that often. You can chose whatever you prefer at this point.

DPS rotations
I’ve made a list of what abilities you should keep on cooldown, in order.
1. Hunters mark (also triggered by explosive shot)
2. Explosive shot / kill command (if MM)
3. Arcane shot
4. Fill focus up with steady shot

• You got one interrupt, which is Scatter shot. So keep that on a button that is easy to hit.
• If you get into combat with a melee class, you need to kite them around. To do this we got the ability called Concussive Shot, which reduces their movement speed with 50%. The effect lasts 6 seconds, but there is only 5 seconds cooldown. Which means that you can keep this up until they trinket it.

Gear

Head
Tarnished Raging Berserker's Helm - Item - World of Warcraft
Rifle Commander's Eyepatch - Item - World of Warcraft (Alliance only)
Lucky Fishing Hat - Item - World of Warcraft

Neck
Scout's Medallion - Item - World of Warcraft
Sentinel's Medallion - Item - World of Warcraft

Shoulders
Champion Herod's Shoulder - Item - World of Warcraft
Shadowfang Spaulders - Item - World of Warcraft

Cape (enchanted +8 agility and +8 dodge) or (16 pvp power)
Parachute Cloak - Item - World of Warcraft
Inherited Cape of the Black Baron - Item - World of Warcraft

Chest (enchanted +100 health)
Champion's Deathdealer Breastplate - Item - World of Warcraft

Wrist (enchanted +9 stamina)
Black Wolf Bracers - Item - World of Warcraft

Weapon (scope +3 damage)
Glass Shooter - Item - World of Warcraft
Charmed Ancient Bone Bow - Item - World of Warcraft

Hands (enchanted +15 agility)
Toughened Leather Gloves - Item - World of Warcraft

Belt
Vigorous Belt - Item - World of Warcraft (from dungeon loot bags)

Legs (enchanted +7 stamina)
Tarnished Leggings of Destruction - Item - World of Warcraft

feet
Standard Issue Prisoner Shoes - Item - World of Warcraft

Rings
Charged Gear - Item - World of Warcraft (of the tiger, monkey and agility)
Signet of Argas - Item - World of Warcraft
D-1000 Ring - Item - World of Warcraft

Trinkets
Arena Grand Master - Item - World of Warcraft
Inherited Insignia of the Horde - Item - World of Warcraft
Inherited Mark of Tyranny - Item - World of Warcraft

Good guide.

Just a couple of thoghts - in your racials section, Dwarves and Trolls get a 1% bonus to ranged expertise (not damage). Still useful though as expertise is pretty rare at this stage of the game and you need 3% for PvP and 7.5% for PvE (against same level bosses). Personally I like the Undead - Will of the Forsaken is useful in PvP and Touch of the Grave is a nice bit of extra damage along with a small self heal - handy wherever you are. From what I understand, orcs still come out on top in terms of pure dps, but the margin is much reduced since the nerf to Command, so it's no longer a no-brainer!

With regards to kit - Bands of Serra'kis is a small upgrade for your wrists - they drop from Serra'Kis, a bonus boss in BFD. Also, at 24, you can get the next level up of LFG reward bag from 24 - with necklaces and gloves - Tumultuous Necklace of the Bandit and Vigorous Handguards of the Bandit are both solid upgrades.

Felspar

Since you don’t need to use disengage that often.

Lol,

Also the enchant to chest should be +4 Stats, then if you really want to, a second chestpiece with +100.

In all seriousness though, nice guide! It certainly is missing a multitude of things, first thing that stuck out to me is you never once mentioned Serpent Sting in the DPS rotation.
All in all this is a good guide currently for people new to Hunters.
^.^

Last edited by a moderator:
Also these gloves are Best in Slot for Alliance (and Horde if they Faction change) Hunters.
Ashen Gloves - Item - World of Warcraft

I'd figure also mentioning other options for Horde such as
Naga Battle Gloves - Item - World of Warcraft
or
Brawler Gloves - Item - World of Warcraft
or even
Foreman's Gloves - Item - World of Warcraft
(whilst I doubt expertise is needed that much at 24, figured I'd still include them)

And that's just for Gloves, so yeah with guides you need to consider options.

Vigorous Handguards of the Bandit are both solid upgrades.

Felspar

Since when was this obtainable?

Orcs: have the passive ability to deal 2% more damage from their pets, while they still have a ability to increase attack power with 42 for 15 sec. This can be very useful in combat.

Orcs also have a reduced stunned passive (10% irrc)

I'd also suggest make a section for level 21-24 pets as there is already a f2p pet guide (somewhere).

Since when was this obtainable?

The way the Satchel of Helpful Goods works is based on dungeon level, not character level - so it is perfectly possible to do 2 random dungeons at the same level and draw from different satchels.

In this case, Gnomeregan is the first dungeon to reward the higher level satchel and so you just have to get lucky and get Gnomer with the RNG (you can always help this along by grouping with a higher level character).

Felspar

In the spirit of finding BiS, I'd be interested in hearing peoples views on how they weight stats at lower levels? I have a very basic system of 2 points for agility; 1 point for hit, expertise, Crit and haste; half a point for stam; and nothing for anything else.

Any thoughts? Are haste and crit comparable??

Felspar

The way the Satchel of Helpful Goods works is based on dungeon level, not character level - so it is perfectly possible to do 2 random dungeons at the same level and draw from different satchels.

In this case, Gnomeregan is the first dungeon to reward the higher level satchel and so you just have to get lucky and get Gnomer with the RNG (you can always help this along by grouping with a higher level character).

Felspar

i think you're wrong and you can not do this. i personally tried this early MoP and its no possible.

UNLESS you've got proof, i wouldnt add this to your guide.

This is a nice start and could be enough for 24 hunts to do good but there is alot of info to be added.

Horde has more then 2 races and I'm amazed you didn't list belf/goblin as those can arguably be the best.

Nelf>all. period.

serpent sting should be in the rotation for sure as that can be 25% of your dmg.

gear can have some slots added as hunts have a variety of "BiS" choices.

no mention of professions.

no mention of pets

no mention on macros

no mention on hit capping.

I'd say this is acceptable for 24s as is but should be updated more imo to become a guide.

You can see what dungeons are possible from a random when you mouseover the dice in the dungeon finder window. 24s will only get Stocks/BFD.

You learn something new every day!

i think you're wrong and you can not do this. i personally tried this early MoP and its no possible.

UNLESS you've got proof, i wouldnt add this to your guide.

You can certainly get different satchels at the same level - I'm currently 55 and have just run 2 randoms - got Earthbound Boots of the Bandit (from the level 55 bag) from Sunken Temple and Turbulent Cloak of the Soldier (from level 60 bag) from Blackrock Depths - Upper City.

Didn't get the gloves myself, but sure I saw someone with them in a BG - might have imagined it though!

You can certainly get different satchels at the same level - I'm currently 55 and have just run 2 randoms - got Earthbound Boots of the Bandit (from the level 55 bag) from Sunken Temple and Turbulent Cloak of the Soldier (from level 60 bag) from Blackrock Depths - Upper City.

Didn't get the gloves myself, but sure I saw someone with them in a BG - might have imagined it though!

yeah ive seen that guys armory too, but you shouldnt put an item in a guide that is impossible to get.

i am aware of how the stachel system works.

Any tips on the pets? Which would come in handy the most? Which pets have the best stuns?

And all races can be hunters so start listing them.

Haven't seen many gnome hunters around, tho :p

This guide is still a loooong way from being even slightly helpful, please put more work towards completing your guide, otherwise just have the thread deleted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread