It's time to say goodbye

Chops

Soccer Dad
Andre and I have often joked that “39 is the last true twink level” both in game and in life. I’ll be 39 in a couple months and it seems like a fine time to bring my WoW presence to an end.

This isn’t a result of Blizzard changing the game or selling out or nOt LiStEnInG tO tHe PlaYeRs or whatever. Classic exists, after all, and by all accounts DF seems like a reasonably good version of the game. It’s just that my interests have been captured by other games and other hobbies. And I’m a sentimental guy, so the idea of my WoW Career coming to a close in the same place it really took off, WOTLK 39s, has a nice, poetic symmetry to it.

I’ve loved the Warcraft IP for almost 3 decades now. Azeroth has been, at times, a very large part of my life and at other times, something that just simmered in the background. I have no doubts that it will continue to exist in my life in some capacity until they turn the servers off. I might play a little more of WOTLK Classic. I’ll probably log on my F2P as new xpacs roll out, just see the content.

But as a game I actively play? WoW's days are mostly over. Just how over? We’ll know when they announce Cata Classic. Or Wrath Classic +. Or whatever comes next, because whatever comes next… I won’t be there.

I’ll be stepping down as moderator too. I’ve always believed that this place should be run by people who are passionate about and actually play the game. That's just not me anymore. I’m very happy with where we’ve managed to shepherd the forums. I had a couple goals for the site when I became a mod and the update to XF2 was the last to check off the list. So, my work here is done.

I’ve made a number of friends in this game, on this forum and specifically in Teldrassil Firefighters/Soccer Dads. To shoutout every single person would be tedious and unfair because I would, of course, forget someone. I am deeply, deeply proud of this little community and knowing all of you (well, most of you) is a true joy. If you’re asking yourself “huh, I wonder if Chops means me” please know that the answer is yes. And it’s yes for a lot of you that probably aren't asking that as well.

It’s been a wild 18 years, guys. I am grateful for the part so many of you played in my enjoyment of this game and I hope that in some small way I helped you enjoy it as well.

Godspeed.

Andre and I have often joked that “39 is the last true twink level” both in game and in life. I’ll be 39 in a couple months and it seems like a fine time to bring my WoW presence to an end.

This isn’t a result of Blizzard changing the game or selling out or nOt LiStEnInG tO tHe PlaYeRs or whatever. Classic exists, after all, and by all accounts DF seems like a reasonably good version of the game. It’s just that my interests have been captured by other games and other hobbies. And I’m a sentimental guy, so the idea of my WoW Career coming to a close in the same place it really took off, WOTLK 39s, has a nice, poetic symmetry to it.

I’ve loved the Warcraft IP for almost 3 decades now. Azeroth has been, at times, a very large part of my life and at other times, something that just simmered in the background. I have no doubts that it will continue to exist in my life in some capacity until they turn the servers off. I might play a little more of WOTLK Classic. I’ll probably log on my F2P as new xpacs roll out, just see the content.

But as a game I actively play? WoW's days are mostly over. Just how over? We’ll know when they announce Cata Classic. Or Wrath Classic +. Or whatever comes next, because whatever comes next… I won’t be there.

I’ll be stepping down as moderator too. I’ve always believed that this place should be run by people who are passionate about and actually play the game. That's just not me anymore. I’m very happy with where we’ve managed to shepherd the forums. I had a couple goals for the site when I became a mod and the update to XF2 was the last to check off the list. So, my work here is done.

I’ve made a number of friends in this game, on this forum and specifically in Teldrassil Firefighters/Soccer Dads. To shoutout every single person would be tedious and unfair because I would, of course, forget someone. I am deeply, deeply proud of this little community and knowing all of you (well, most of you) is a true joy. If you’re asking yourself “huh, I wonder if Chops means me” please know that the answer is yes. And it’s yes for a lot of you that probably aren't asking that as well.

It’s been a wild 18 years, guys. I am grateful for the part so many of you played in my enjoyment of this game and I hope that in some small way I helped you enjoy it as well.

Godspeed.
Farewell, @Chops! We kicked a lot of sand together on those Westfall beaches! Hope life brings good things your way!

Sad to see yet another great go, but happy you seem happy by your future endeavors and plan. I know how it is to have WoW come and go and be on the back burner. I've struggled for years to stay active for long stretches, and for some reason it just can't hold my focus the way it used to. Though recently meeting back up with an old friend from BC has lead to my being much more interested, along with the whole dragons thing. Maybe down the road, some future expansion will pull you back in. Maybe not. But either way, it's been a pleasure.

Hopefully you stick around now and then. :D

Sad to see you go, we'll miss your witty quips and antics. I've been kinda thinking about this too. Lost all interest in WoW and it feels like the end of an era to me. Maybe one day, we'll all come back to WoW and have one big comeback reunion. Until then, GG and GL out there.

:PepeHands:

You were a true light in this forum, and a source of motivation on my F2P journey.
Good luck on your projects, I hope we will hear again of your sass when you pass by ;)

You always outgrow yourself and what may have been dear to you can change to no longer suit your tastes. As per anything in life truly.
That said, this is quite a gaping hole you will leave behind, one of those you cannot fill nor would want to. You're quite the character and I sure as hell hope you'll stop by every once in a while.
Wish you a wonderful continuation, hoping you'll find enjoyment in your new hobbies.
P.S. : Loved the Chopsvlogs

aHR0cDovL28uYW9sY2RuLmNvbS9oc3Mvc3RvcmFnZS9taWRhcy83NDkxYjg0MWEyNjZlM2MxZmI2YTcxMzhmNDU0N2UyNy8yMDE0ODc5MjgvYXJuYS1zYWx1dGUuanBn

Thank you for your service! I am sure this forum will miss you alot.

I wish you well in your life ahead. And gratz on 39 :KKomrade:

Thank you for everything, everything you've done for us. Your articles, your podcasts, your vlogs, your work both in the community and with the people who helped guide the community.

...Your insight, your wit, your wisdom of what works for people and what works for you. Your leadership by example, your unabashed passion for the game. Your resilience in the face of sisyphusean challenges from all corners of the community and from the very game itself. Your pragmatic eye for determining what's worth undertaking, and your unrelenting dedication to finding the best parts of the game, and of the people who play it.

If WoW is as much about who you play with as it is about how you play, then thank you for the lasting impact you brought me both inside and outside the game all of these years. I deeply appreciate it, and hope to hear more from you as you wander beyond Azeroth.

Best wishes to your endeavors!

Users who are viewing this thread