If the amount of devotion put into WoW was put into RL instead...

glancealot

Legend
I have seen people pulling off really impressive feats in WoW, or using their creativity to achieve what other people cannot manage to do. (like this guy for example)

I have been wondering, what if that amount of devotion was put into real life instead of a video game for those folks?

I ask that question because I basically did that. I was making 300k gold per day playing the AH, then I turned around and used the same kind of creative thinking in my real life business, i went from buying 4~5 computers and resell to now buying upto 2000 laptops in one shot and do bulk sale as well as retail.

But now the problem is, real life is too busy and i don't even have time for things i love anymore (WoW, hearthstone).

Before I would grind to legend in hearthstone on my own and it would take hundreds of games and 10~20 hours, now i buy a lesson for $30/hour and get the grind done in 2 hours, then use the time i save to focus on my business.

Sorry if i am rambling on a bit, but i have been asking myself that question a lot lately, how do we prioritise or balance fun and money? it's simply wrong to only play video games and ignore real life, but my personal experience tells me that it's also not correct to put too much energy into real life and ignore fun (when i play video game for an hour now, i don't have fun, i constantly think about the $$$ i am losing out)

it's so hard, especially for someone like me who likes to zero in on things.

Last edited:
I only put in 3 to 4 hours a week into wow, if it wasn't put there it would be put into art.

I have seen people pulling off really impressive feats in WoW, or using their creativity to achieve what other people cannot manage to do. (like this guy for example)

I have been wondering, what if that amount of devotion was put into real life instead of a video game for those folks?

I ask that question because I basically did that. I was making 300k gold per day playing the AH, then I turned around and used the same kind of creative thinking in my real life business, i went from buying 4~5 computers and resell to now buying upto 2000 laptops in one shot and do bulk sale as well as retail.

But now the problem is, real life is too busy and i don't even have time for things i love anymore (WoW, hearthstone).

Before I would grind to legend in hearthstone on my own and it would take hundreds of games and 10~20 hours, now i buy a lesson for $30/hour and get the grind done in 2 hours, then use the time i save to focus on my business.

Sorry if i am rambling on a bit, but i have been asking myself that question a lot lately, how do we prioritise or balance fun and money? it's simply wrong to only play video games and ignore real life, but my personal experience tells me that it's also not correct to put too much energy into real life and ignore fun (when i play video game for an hour now, i don't have fun, i constantly think about the $$$ i am losing out)

it's so hard, especially for someone like me who likes to zero in on things.
Form a Cult. :FrogeTorch:

At the risk of taking this thread too seriously, I'd say it doesn't have to be an either/or proposition. I spent hundreds of hours developing several skills in the context of WoW (including written communications, organizational management, and HR skills -- my heart goes to anyone involved with guild leadership) that later served me extremely well in my career and personal life.

It's not what you do, but how you do it.

I spent hundreds of hours developing several skills in the context of WoW (including written communications, organizational management, and HR skills -- my heart goes to anyone involved with guild leadership) that later served me extremely well in my career and personal life.

i do agree with this. in addition to written communications,

WoW also taught me how to

1, read people and understand human nature, understand what people's limit / bottom-line is, what people are and aren't capable of doing

2, get people to work for you (i wasn't getting 300k a day without the support from ~5 gold farmers)

3, realize the importance of relationship. it's 100% right that it's not about what you know, but who you know. i was buying N3060 chromebooks with 16GB storage for $100 and flipping them, then i made connection with the right people and built a good relationship, i started buying n3060 windows laptops with 64GB storage for $35, think about the margin difference.

but let's be honest, it's not hundreds of hours, it's thousands of hours for you.

for someone that claims to not have enough time for wow, you do spend a lot of time on these forums....

because i can squeeze in "forum time" in between customers? "claims", geez, I wish i had WoW time, you probably cannot imagine how frustrated I am!

Last edited:
im becoming more and more certain that you are Allybeboba or w/e he was called under a new alias.
only thing that goes against it that you have yet to mention the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Just got PTSD from that name, cheers

Need the servers to come back up. Yall are so desperate for content, you're responding to what is, essentially, the 5th iteration of the same thread over and over and over

Not true...my business has grown significantly/exponentially since last year...I don't even do much marketing myself anymore, it's mostly subsellers, returning customers and bulk sales now...

Edit: I am not bragging...I am a tiny ant compared to actually rich people. I had a customer who bought 60 all in one for his chain of clinics, he makes more passive income in one day than I do in a month, and I work 18~20 hours a day with no break (not a single day of vacation since last year August)

Last edited:
now you are just confusing us, man..

should we feel awe or sorry? i dont even know anymore..

edit: @Holythane that cheersbomb tho, just put that together, im dyin :’D

but let's be honest, it's not hundreds of hours, it's thousands of hours for you

I'd say if we put everything WoW-related together, I'm close to 14K hours total (I was at about 13K before I came back for Shadowlands). But of that total, I spent only hundreds on lateral skills. The rest was playing, hanging out with people, and having a good time nerding out.

Need the servers to come back up. Yall are so desperate for content, you're responding to what is, essentially, the 5th iteration of the same thread over and over and over
What a bunch of time wasted creating these threads, that he could have been making money.

Users who are viewing this thread