Idiots guide to gearing your BfA locked 50

Thanks for the reply, great to know I can still be viable without buying xpac and transferring etc.
I have another pretty specific question not sure if anyone can help.
When I do the questline to unlock the essence system it will level my HoA to 50 right?
So I'm curious what happens if I do this on a character that already has a neck above that level.
Having some leftover 45s/110s that already have a high neck level, I figure there are three possibilities.
1: I'll get a set amount of AP which will level my neck higher. Optimistic.
2: My HoA will remain unchanged, leaving the cloak as my main incentive for finishing the questline. Likely.
3: My HoA will be reduced to level 50. Seems unlikely, but hey, Blizz.
The reason I ask is if it's not going to boost my HoA I'm more likely to level a toon with a neck under 50 and save those with higher HoA as trophy 45s. But if it actually gives a huge AP boost rather than a set level...well here's hoping.

Thanks for the reply, great to know I can still be viable without buying xpac and transferring etc.
I have another pretty specific question not sure if anyone can help.
When I do the questline to unlock the essence system it will level my HoA to 50 right?
So I'm curious what happens if I do this on a character that already has a neck above that level.
Having some leftover 45s/110s that already have a high neck level, I figure there are three possibilities.
1: I'll get a set amount of AP which will level my neck higher. Optimistic.
2: My HoA will remain unchanged, leaving the cloak as my main incentive for finishing the questline. Likely.
3: My HoA will be reduced to level 50. Seems unlikely, but hey, Blizz.
The reason I ask is if it's not going to boost my HoA I'm more likely to level a toon with a neck under 50 and save those with higher HoA as trophy 45s. But if it actually gives a huge AP boost rather than a set level...well here's hoping.

youre right, it will only boost you to 50. wont give you anything if youre higher. your idea of keeping the 45s above 50neck as trophies is a nice one.

yeah there’s some posts, in a couple places. Fungal linked some. I’ll just post here.

Renown 2 by completing a calling in a zone, engineering up to around 65 skill, fishing pole.

rare items
Slumberwood Band
Siphoning Blood-Drinker
Rotbriar Sprout
Book-Borrower Identification
Glowing Endmire Stinger
I only grabbed the aoe CC ring on my mage and Druid. I had no use for any of the SL items since those 2 toons are already geared. I did grab epic rotbriar trinket on my hunter, and the ocarina trinket from Mists dungeon. My 50s are in my sig. book borrower identification trinket is good too. The rares can proc 104ilvl epic, daily lockout.

@sevenohseven I hope to see you join the bracket, your advice on 110s got me into those and I enjoyed that bracket a lot, and am enjoying this one even more. Send me any questions you have and I can help you with legendary cloak stuff too
im out doing all the zone entry quests just to see how far i can get into renown. happen to come across the “sleepy mist” place where that sweet aoe sleep ring drops and after a few tries got it! that was yesterday and today was trying to finish out the zone and to my surprise the elite star was in the same place again. i figured it was easy anima while i was right there yadda yadda yadda...
ring dropped again! remember the bfa crab elite you could farm till he dropped a ring with a socket? anyone notice other elites that can be farmed?

im out doing all the zone entry quests just to see how far i can get into renown. happen to come across the “sleepy mist” place where that sweet aoe sleep ring drops and after a few tries got it! that was yesterday and today was trying to finish out the zone and to my surprise the elite star was in the same place again. i figured it was easy anima while i was right there yadda yadda yadda...
ring dropped again! remember the bfa crab elite you could farm till he dropped a ring with a socket? anyone notice other elites that can be farmed?
The page before this has a post with the trinkets. If your toon is under geared there’s some more slots you can get up to 104ilvl epic. The stuff that says 110epic is only 110 if you get it before enabling threads of fate. https://xpoff.com/threads/49s-gear-guide-best-practice-rares-to-farm.95068/

there’s some world quests, occasionally can award trinkets at 83ilvl, never looked into how good they are, it’s almost always regular slot gear

backtracking elites in other zones today to see if they can be farmed for upgrades.

I think they mostly all reset daily. Dont believe they can proc a socket tho, just a wowhead thing. Not 100% on that tho.

edit- thanks for bringin up the ring, i had basically quit on 49 but after your post i went to get that one drop...

:D
jY03dUl.png

Last edited:
hey guys. was hard to find info on this, I have some questions concerning the crafted items. I decided to go leatherworker and engineer. there are 3 ranks for each of the 3 epic items you get from it and for the first one you need a schmeatic which drops in the n'zoth assaults.
I have tailoring skill 75 and got a tailoring pattern drop for one of its ilvl 95 epics, so I guessI just need engineering to make the schematics drop. Any tips on which mobs to kill for it or where to farm it? I need the head for a hunter and also still need mail legs for leatherworking. I guess when I crafted one of these items I get the next one as pattern in my profession book?

hey guys. was hard to find info on this, I have some questions concerning the crafted items. I decided to go leatherworker and engineer. there are 3 ranks for each of the 3 epic items you get from it and for the first one you need a schmeatic which drops in the n'zoth assaults.
I have tailoring skill 75 and got a tailoring pattern drop for one of its ilvl 95 epics, so I guessI just need engineering to make the schematics drop. Any tips on which mobs to kill for it or where to farm it? I need the head for a hunter and also still need mail legs for leatherworking. I guess when I crafted one of these items I get the next one as pattern in my profession book?

hey. you will get the patterns from cultist mobs in assault zones if you have the profession at any zandalari/KT skill level. the best place to farm these rank1/stage1 patterns are in the Minor Vision daily scenario. when you make the item, the pattern for the next ilvl tier craft will appear in your bags, make sure you have room for it.

the first tier 95ilvl/100ilvl engi helm will be able to be crafted right away,
110ilvl/115ilvl engi helm needs https://www.wowhead.com/quest=57464/maintaining-focus quest done first
125ilvl/130ilvl engi helm needs https://www.wowhead.com/quest=57462/dream-catcher quest

https://www.wowhead.com/item=171176/shred-of-insanity can be obtained completely from pvp, low drop from killing blows in bgs and world pvp, and guaranteed 1 per bg and arena wins.

probably one of my my favorite parts about the brackets gearing/power gains tbh, that new players have 3 slots of mythic ilvl gear that comes socketed, and can be mass crafted for perfect stats, that they can work towards solely from pvp gameplay. my hunter is like 20 or so shred of insanity away from completing the 200x quest, all from pvp. without going into nyalotha, the engi helm is the best helmet you can get, without killing the last 2 bosses in the mythic mode and getting lucky on the 140ilvl helmet drop.

dont forget to scrap the lower item in boralus/dazar when making the new one, youll get half of the materials back

if you ever decide you dont need LW anymore, because you got better of the 2 slots from the raid in the future from now, you can switch your profession to JC for a 2nd 125-130ilvl vers/mastery max ilvl ring(the raid only drops 1 of this stat combo), or you can go alchemy for the 125 socketed alchemy stone trinket.
when you swap profession your void focus will still be upgraded in the heart chamber.

Last edited:
x7Wel4U.png

Stacks with food/flask/augments as an additional buff.
Costs 5 Honorbound Service Medals each from Provisioner Mukra in Dazar'Alor, should have plenty of medals if people are doing the warfronts / wq's on opposite continents.

x7Wel4U.png

Stacks with food/flask/augments as an additional buff.
Costs 5 Honorbound Service Medals each from Provisioner Mukra in Dazar'Alor, should have plenty of medals if people are doing the warfronts / wq's on opposite continents.

i dont know if this is just for the horde version, but alliance one requires level 49 or below to use

i dont know if this is just for the horde version, but alliance one requires level 49 or below to use

Alliance has had more quests, more mounts, advantage in AV placement, immunity quest items, racial vanish/pvp trink, etc. forever. I'll accept anything the alliance can't have haha

I havnt been keepin up on endgame stuff, my 50 pally is on a bfa account linked to a SL account, if i level a 60 does that covent ability stuff get unlocked across all my linked acounts or just the SL ones. Is it worth gettin SL stuff then transfering a 50? Sorry if this info been said allready and i missed it.
Just SL acts but you can bring them off for now.

maybe. Depends on your toons gear. Cov spells are good obviously

Last edited:
Great guide, thanks for your effort.
Regarding Weapon Enchant which is the best to use ? SL ones or BFA one ?
I'm still using Versatile Navigation :)

I guess it depends on what class you're playing and what you want to do. Can never go wrong with celestial guidance.

torrent of elements is really strong for caster

celestial guidance for heals

melee can use lightless force

many enchants are viable but the above can tend to be the best in most situations

Users who are viewing this thread