Hitting hi-level mobs

Here's the formulas for single-wielding melee hit. Keep in mind I haven't yet incorporated Dodge or Parry (which are huge factors)...nor spell damage.

Miss Chance w/ Melee & Ranged - White Damage

According to Wowwiki:
a) Opponent <3 Levels Higher = (OL - PL) * 0.5% + 2%
b) Opponent >2 Levels Higher = (OL - PL)*2% + 2% (this version absolutely doesn't scale at much higher levels)

According to my observations:
a) Opponent <3 Levels Higher = (OL - PL) * 0.5% + 2%
b) Opponent >2 Levels Higher = (OL - PL)*1% + 5%

OL = Opponent Level
PL = Player Level

Note that against a Level 23 opponent, both versions of #b give the same result.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the spell line is correct. I Have no problems killing lvl 35 mobs as a caster. I even tried to kill mobs in thousand needles (lvl 40+) and i still can hit them.

I don't think the spell line is correct. I Have no problems killing lvl 35 mobs as a caster. I even tried to kill mobs in thousand needles (lvl 40+) and i still can hit them.

Do you have hit gear (or talents that give you +hit)? Link your toon.

After a little over 1,000 casts, that was the result, and it lines up perfectly with the formula. I plan on doing another spell-hit check at lvl 25 (and maybe another at 28 after i get some Parry and Dodge results up) just to double-check, but i'm guessing the results will hold up to the formula.

also keep in mind this is a work-in-progress.

alsoalso, i won't be doing much on this this week...DMF and all.

Yes i am wearing special hit gear in those "high" level areas (+13% hit unbuffed). But even with that gear, according to your formulas (mobs >2 lvl above: +1 lvl -> -11% hit) i should only be able to hit monsters till lvl 33-34.

Wouldn't be helpful, because i have 3 different gear sets (hit, pve, pvp). I just killed a lvl 43 turtle in thousand needles solo. I got a lvl 44 turtle down to 40% without bufffood. My toon isn't maxed out, but close to. I think lvl 45 is the highest killable moblevel for caster.

Wouldn't be helpful, because i have 3 different gear sets (hit, pve, pvp). I just killed a lvl 43 turtle in thousand needles solo. I got a lvl 44 turtle down to 40% without bufffood. My toon isn't maxed out, but close to. I think lvl 45 is the highest killable moblevel for caster.

atttempt #3

can...you...link...your...toon...please???

Like Imirak is saying, you're getting a good amount of hit from your spirit, which is helping you. To test this, unlearn your talents, unequip any +hit gear, and then go try to hit something at about level 35ish...let me know how it goes.

i don't yet know much about a hit floor, or what happens when your chance to hit gets to 0%... which i have on my to-do list.

Like Imirak is saying, you're getting a good amount of hit from your spirit, which is helping you. To test this, unlearn your talents, unequip any +hit gear, and then go try to hit something at about level 35ish...let me know how it goes.

I was hitting lvl 35 Noxious Whelps well enough, as feral, to grind out a pet with the following gear:

+4 expertise from Fang Armor set bonus
+5 expertise from Foreman's Gloves

+7 hit from Foe Reaper
+4 hit from Spaulders of the Hero
+3 hit from Lavishly Jeweled Ring

That's not a lot of +hit, but I'd say my special attacks were landing about 20-25% of the time (that's a wild guess).

Actually i found out, that the maximum hit percentage you can get at lvl 20 is 13, it doesn't get any higher than this even if you get gear with more spirit - useless! :(

ok, so if I'm reading this corectly, the first chart is your miss chance when all factors except block (miss, parry, dodge) are considered while the 2nd chart is just for miss.

This is why melee & ranged are different on the first chart, because ranged does not currently have to worry about dodge & parry.

So if the formula for melee in chart 1 appears to be 4d+16 (where d is level difference) and in chart 2 it is 0.5d+5, then that means the contribution from dodge+parry is 3.5d+11.

Since melee can only gear up enough Expertise to reduce dodge & parry by a combined 8%, then it becomes pointless to gear to melee mobs once 3.5d+11 > 108, or when d=28 or a level 48 mob.

Of course, that's assuming you have enough +hit to reduce your miss rate on a level 48 mob to 0. That would require 29% hit, or 63 hit rating. I'm pretty sure that's out of the realm of possibility while maximizing expertise, so the highest level of a non-casting mob that a 20 can kill is somewhere under 48.

Very interesting research!

If I understand the charts correctly, as a caster (lock) I might as well forget fighting against any higher level mobs. Basically according to the charts I have zero chance to land a spell on any mob above lvl30. Pretty depressing really.

This roughly aligns with my experience, tho it would appear certain spell have a higher (i.e. non-0) chance in my experiments against dummies.

Very interesting research!

If I understand the charts correctly, as a caster (lock) I might as well forget fighting against any higher level mobs. Basically according to the charts I have zero chance to land a spell on any mob above lvl30. Pretty depressing really..

I tried stacking spell hit (via a talent that converts 50% spirit to hit) and farm some lvl 28-29 goblins as a balance druid. I was able to do it, but it was a bit more difficult than melee'ing as feral.

You might try kiting and letting a melee pet hit the mobs from behind (avoiding parries).

Right now, hunters are the golden class with regards to high level mobs because they get to avoid dodge & parries. That's supposedly going to change in MoP, so we'll all be in the same boat.

Users who are viewing this thread