Guild <APES> first to down Ragnaros (Gehennas - EU)

The fact is, that 40 people were never needed for those raids, anyway. If you have 40 people, with decent internet connections, who are doing what they are supposed to be doing and know the instance?

But again, in execution? It was not needed.

I raided 40 man, at least it was accessible to just about everyone who had a guild and was attuned. I am thinking of one friend in particular who was from another country, was mostly casual, and there was a need for a hunter one night so she conceded to tag along. She ended up joining quite a few raids and earning her DKP to get some gear, much to the consternation of the purple text gatekeepers.

My impression of raiding in subsequent expansions was that it had more of an elite air about it. Your gear score must be checked along with your achievements, bla bla bla. You must have Deadly Boss Mods and know exactly where to step and when.

I raided 40 man, at least it was accessible to just about everyone who had a guild and was attuned. I am thinking of one friend in particular who was from another country, was mostly casual, and there was a need for a hunter one night so she conceded to tag along. She ended up joining quite a few raids and earning her DKP to get some gear, much to the consternation of the purple text gatekeepers.

My impression of raiding in subsequent expansions was that it had more of an elite air about it. Your gear score must be checked along with your achievements, bla bla bla. You must have Deadly Boss Mods and know exactly where to step and when.
The checking of a certain gear score is a very "post wrath" phenom.

I had to try out for my raiding guild by meeting a certain DPS in a couple dungeons and demonstrating basic awareness. But overall gear score wasnt something we cared about.

And yes, you had to run DBM and know the fights. If you stood in fire and died, your guild may not make the enrage timer. Nothing wrong with expecting that of guildies. That's baseline shit

I remember people requiring certain addons even in BC, as well as doing gear checks. So, it's hardly new.

The reason for increased want for addons and gear checks used, is that the fights are far less idiot proof. More mechanics requiring more timing and precision, well...Yeah, obviously going to want to idiot proof it a bit with DBM.

It's not so much an elitist thing, it's more of a quality of life to not have to deal with increased risk of people causing numerous wipes thing.

Gearscore / Itemlevel elitism is a direct consequence of Dunning-Kruger (well, in conjunction of heroic/mythic raids being nontrivial, I guess) because the very people who lack (gearing) skill are also unable to detect it in others. And as we all know, the average player's intelligence is rather ... limited.
In short, because the vast majority of people lack the very skill to perform proper gear inspections, they will fallback to heuristics like gearscore and/or itemlevel; at the end of the day there is a correlation between higher numbers and better performance.

Unless you're with the very cutting edge (read: Method, Limit Exorsus and friends), don't expect people to have the necessary skillset to do anything else than itemlevel elitism. (Not that the current gear-based gatekeeping of mythic raids' helping.)

Gearscore / Itemlevel elitism is a direct consequence of Dunning-Kruger (well, in conjunction of heroic/mythic raids being nontrivial, I guess) because the very people who lack (gearing) skill are also unable to detect it in others. And as we all know, the average player's intelligence is rather ... limited.
In short, because the vast majority of people lack the very skill to perform proper gear inspections, they will fallback to heuristics like gearscore and/or itemlevel; at the end of the day there is a correlation between higher numbers and better performance.

Unless you're with the very cutting edge (read: Method, Limit Exorsus and friends), don't expect people to have the necessary skillset to do anything else than itemlevel elitism. (Not that the current gear-based gatekeeping of mythic raids' helping.)
Yup. theres not a huge variance in gear/stats at end game so ilvl score pretty much = dps/healing performance.

I remember running a handful of sets on my hunter in TBC for various encounters. Armor pierce set, mana set for longer fights, glass cannon for tank and spanks, tanky sets for off tank/kite encounters, etc and alot of those required specific pieces, often from early dungeons and even quest rewards that would have failed an "ilvl check" but were necessary to maximize my role on various fights.

But I gather end game isn't really like that anymore. Which is fine, I suppose. But there's always been a level of elitism in raiding. It was recount numbers in TBC and I guess it's ilvl scores today.

Actually for both tbc and wotlk the difference in average and peak performance between a random mishmash of items you have flying around and a properly itemised set of gear can be significant due to stat cap mechanics just as hit, expertise, armor penetration and haste (did i miss anything)?

I haven't really played anything post that but from what I can see until the abolishment of hit and friends at the end of mop this has always been a thing (less so with reforging and stuff, but yeah)

Users who are viewing this thread