General Easy to comprehend PVP Macro Guide

jwl

FC - Pagle
Introduction

Below you'll see a fraction of macros that I find to be very underutilized due to ignorance & I'd simply like to expose more players to the wonderous tool that we know as macros.

Table of Contents

1. What are macros & why should I use them?
2. Types of efficient macros for PVP
3. Conclusion

1. What are macros & why should I use them?

Macros are bodies of instructions, that when pressed, create and execute a certain task. Macros have a numerous amount of benefits & functionalities, but I will be discussing the ones I find most relevant in player versus player. You can access the macro interface by typing “/macro” or by going to your game interface [Default escape] and scrolling to the tab labeled macros.

You should use macros because they are extremely efficient & have been shown to make all the difference. Without the use of macros, you’d find yourself manually clicking on either the enemy name frame, body frame, or arena frame prior to casting your abilities, which ultimately is a lot more work, slower, and riskier than using an appropriate macro.

2. Types of efficient macros for PVP

2.1: Mouseover target macros

Mouseover Macros allow you to cast your spells/abilities by scrolling your cursor over an enemy/friendly name frame, body frame, or arena frame.
Below you'll see a mouseover Hammer of justice macro - this macro would allow you to stun an enemy that you aren't currently targeting, simply by hovering your curser over them & pressing the corresponding key bind.

QfAG5rOYoL4q-rRK4vzLlK4mTfkK9M_zJE8MkV_wY8DnJgdy_12wlpe3ZT9cuGG8IL8-6lZ1s62u7IXbCRUAT5gCVEOM1idS0g09DaWW_sM0Hj0E2xGOvxLB0FUnCi32L03VcYJN

Notice how I cast Holy light & Hammer of justice on nearby targets without actually changing my selected target.
Great uses of mouseover macros are:
/cast [target=mouseover] kick
/cast [target=mouseover] polymorph
/cast [target=mouseover] Power word: shield

2.2: Focus target macros

Focus target macros require you to have a focus target. These macros allow you to cast your spells/abilities at your focus target without changing or deselecting your primary target.
Below you'll see a focus Blessing of freedom macro - this macro would allow you to mobilize your focus target without losing focus on your primary target.

F1.png

Notice how I cast Blessing of freedom onto my focus without having to change my selected target.
Great uses of focus macros are:
/cast [target=focus] counter shot
/cast [target=focus] leap of faith
/cast [target=focus] blessing of protection

2.3: Help/harm target macros

Help/harm macros are very interesting because they allow you to cast different spells, depending on whether or not you're targeting a friendly or hostile target. The "help" refers to friendly targets, and the "harm" refers to enemy targets. Depending on which target you are currently selected, the function of these macros will change.
Below you'll see a Help/harm macro - this macro would allow you to cast Flash of light if you were to select a friendly target, or Holy shock if you were to select an enemy target.

M HH.png

Notice how the tooltip on my macro changes from the Flash of light logo to the Holy shock logo. These are of course mouseover versions of HH, but you could just as easily make these without the mouseover features.
Great uses of HH macros are:
/cast [harm]moonfire; rejuvenation
/cast [harm]holy Fire; renew
/cast [harm]crackling jade lightning; effuse

2.4: CancelAura macros

Cancel aura macros are self explanatory, they cancel auras. Say you cast ice block right after cauterize procs to avoid the damage, and you'd like to instantly get out of ice block without scrolling over your buff window to do so...well, this macro should have you covered.
Below you'll see a cancelaura Ice block macro - this macro will activate ice block the first time it is pressed, then cancel it the second time it is pressed.

Screenshot (58).png

Notice how immediately my ice block is canceled, without moving my curser over the buff window.
Great uses of cancelaura macros are:
/cast deterrence
/cancelaura deterrence
/cast dispersion
/cancelaura dispersion

3. CONCLUSION

As long as one person has learned something new or beneficial through this read, I'd be satisfied. There is a lot more to being a skilled player than knowing your rotation & I think utilizing macros properly is one of the variables that sets the great out from the good. This is an easy to comprehend guide, so I listed the macros I found most appropriate, while leaving others out. Once again, I hope this helps!

Last edited:
While not exclusive to PvP, I think @Player;@Cursor macros are really useful for virtually every class. Basically, what it does is make any ability that requires you to select an area before being able to activate it (like Mages' Blizzard, hunter traps, Heroic Leap, etc) ommit that first step and perform the action either at your cursor location or on yourself. Do note that there is no @target for this one.
Anything that saves time in PvP gives you an edge, even if its the extra half second that takes you to click an additional time.

Code:
#showtooltip Freezing Trap
/cast [mod:shift, @player][@cursor][] Freezing Trap
This is an example where if you hit the key it will launch the Freezing Trap at your cursor location, but if you press Shift and your Freezing Trap key, then it will drop it right where you are. This covers two possible scenarios where you use a trap either to CC melee DPS chasing you (@player) or when trying to CC a target far away (@cursor)

Code:
#showtooltip Blizzard
/cast [@cursor][] Blizzard
This is a less complex version of the same macro, it simply casts Blizzard on your cursor location.

You get the idea.

While not exclusive to PvP, I think @Player;@Cursor macros are really useful for virtually every class. Basically, what it does is make any ability that requires you to select an area before being able to activate it (like Mages' Blizzard, hunter traps, Heroic Leap, etc) ommit that first step and perform the action either at your cursor location or on yourself. Do note that there is no @target for this one.
Anything that saves time in PvP gives you an edge, even if its the extra half second that takes you to click an additional time.

Code:
#showtooltip Freezing Trap
/cast [mod:shift, @player][@cursor][] Freezing Trap
This is an example where if you hit the key it will launch the Freezing Trap at your cursor location, but if you press Shift and your Freezing Trap key, then it will drop it right where you are. This covers two possible scenarios where you use a trap either to CC melee DPS chasing you (@player) or when trying to CC a target far away (@cursor)

Code:
#showtooltip Blizzard
/cast [@cursor][] Blizzard
This is a less complex version of the same macro, it simply casts Blizzard on your cursor location.

You get the idea.

Yeah I was actually going to add modifier macros to the list, even considered @curser macros but I went against it. Glad you brought em up though! And of course these aren't exclusive to PVP, but I figured that's where the timing really thrives.

Just basic pvp macros nothing new for most ppl

Just basic pvp macros

Well, there is a reason the thread is titled easy to comprehend PVP macros.

Let's not forget that this site is a resource for people that might not be familiar with everything we already know.

The majority of twink players I see on streams or in-game are still clicking on a great deal of their abilities. I think this thread is serving for an appropriate audience.

I really fucking hope that they integrate the current macro system into classic wow for quality of life reasons. Cba doing actual scripting to produce the same results. Just give me the shortcode/sugar code options like it is now.

The majority of twink players I see on streams or in-game are still clicking on a great deal of their abilities. I think this thread is serving for an appropriate audience.

Absolutely it is. There's a wealth of information on this site on how to build a toon, but very little about how to play it. This guide does a great job in beginning to fill that gap.

Appreciate it guys. I didnt cover as much as I'd like, but I do feel this is a great jumping off point & some very engaging knowledge for players wanting to learn how macros work.

99% of the people ive encountered in bfa need a simple macro

/run WorldMapFrame:Show()

Bump. Lots of information here that a great deal of you could benefit from.

Users who are viewing this thread