Crime, Punishment, & Laws

Bragh said:
You would want him to suffer. Wouldn't you? He won't suffer if he dies. if he has to rot in jail, for the rets of his life. It will make his life much more miserable. Would taste much more better than knowing that he died with "honor of what he did"

If you had the choice of being in jail for the rest of you life, where you have guaranteed food, shelter, just about everything you need, or to be killed, wouldn't you rather live in jail?

In jail, if you feel threatened by violence you can be moved to safer places, its too much money in giving too much luxury to long term prisoners.

I can see people being in jail for maybe 10 - 25 years, but enormous sentences are unnecessary when the Death Penalty can be used in place for serious crimes. I wouldn't feel the need for him or her to suffer, they would be dead, not able to hurt anyone else.

I still prefer the cost effectiveness death penaltys over making people 'suffer' in a prison.

Most people that mass murder wouldn't repent or feel saddened because they don't think like we do generally. Infact ... they would get a sort of 'high' from the memories about them torturing and killing innocent people.

Not to mention that our jail system is usually to soft, the repeat offenders are a very high % compared to those that 'learn' there lesson.

Orcgasm said:
If you had the choice of being in jail for the rest of you life, where you have guaranteed food, shelter, just about everything you need, or to be killed, wouldn't you rather live in jail?

In jail, if you feel threatened by violence you can be moved to safer places, its too much money in giving too much luxury to long term prisoners.

I can see people being in jail for maybe 10 - 25 years, but enormous sentences are unnecessary when the Death Penalty can be used in place for serious crimes. I wouldn't feel the need for him or her to suffer, they would be dead, not able to hurt anyone else.

^^^ This, THis, This.

Orcgasm said:

I was thinking isolation. 1 man cell. only a bed and nothing else.. would seriously kill me, inside.

I'm undecided.

This is how I see it. If somone kills someone, than they get killed, but since somone killed them they also need to be killed and the cycle continues.

I'm leaning toward no death penetally because there will always be mistakes and the wrong person could get killed.

On another note, I am against the treatment of disabled persons in a way that is the same as one who is not disabled. Someone who commits a crime and is proven to be insane, a sociopath, or have any of a wide spectrum of disabilities should be put into a hospital, to be helped and observed. A lot of what they do is not their fault. I always found myself to be very mildly afflicted by Asperger's Syndrome, and though it doesn't show itself all the time, when I get really mad sometimes I do things that I can't stop, and I know it would not be fair to me, or someone worse off than me, to be severely punished for something they cannot control.

Its like a bus driver being punished for having a tire go flat and skidding into a ditch, causing themselves and a passenger to be injured.

Bragh said:
I was thinking isolation. 1 man cell. only a bed and nothing else.. would seriously kill me, inside.

Fail double post, but thats not always how it works, no matter how effective it may be.

The problem with mental diseases is that its generally harder to prove that people really have them.

Alot of criminals try to get off by pleading that they have some kind of sickness.

Eliot, Why would we kill someone for getting rid of criminals?

They killed because they wanted to, and will probably do it again.

We kill them because they took the life of an innocent for no reason.

Naturaltalnt said:
The problem with mental diseases is that its generally harder to prove that people really have them.

Alot of criminals try to get off by pleading that they have some kind of sickness.

Being observed in a hospital that thinks you have a mental disability is enough to drive any sane man crazy.

I used to be in favor of Eye for an Eye logic or Capital Punishment when the crime was deserving. However, somewhere at the turn of the 20th Century, people were treated differently based on things like ethnicity (more likely to be put to death if a minority), gender (more likely to be put to death if male), age (more likely to be put to death if 21-50) and social-economic status (more likely to be put to death if poor). Though I do admit that there are exceptional cases that do warrant the death penalty - I believe those should be for the criminal that shows a trend that would indicate s/he can not be rehabilitated (multiple premeditated murders/serial killers).

This is not even a question of whether the accused is innocent or not (that's another topic for another day). It's a matter of what's fair for anyone that does not fit into the priviledged demographics.

Some of your reasons to be for Capital Punishment are too flawed in my humble opinion. The chances of a criminal convicted of a crime punishable by Capital Punishment escaping prison are lower than the chances of one of those people actually being innocent of the crime after conviction.

By implying that a person who has been convicted of a Capital Punishment crime shouldn't be allowed to reproduce implies that you believe the offspring will be more likely to commit the same types of crime. Would you have any children that the criminal has already had be put to death or locked up? By that logic, shouldn't it be assumed the criminals' parents and grandparents also have that high potential for violence and should also be punished accordingly?

Sure it's unfair that a person was murdered or violently violated, but there's not an equality in this country around who will be put to death and who won't. O.J. is a great example of the social status/celebrity. Phil Spectre is another. Not only would they have had the money to avoid the death penalty, but they were also found innocent of their crimes... If you had the amount of evidence available to convice a poor twenty-five year old black man, he'd get the chair - and that's just wrong.

From a reliable source

------------------------------------------------------------

Of the 272,111 persons released from prisons in 15 States in 1994, an estimated 67.5% were rearrested for a felony or serious misdemeanor within 3 years, 46.9% were reconvicted, and 25.4% resentenced to prison for a new crime.

* The 272,111 offenders discharged in 1994 accounted for nearly 4,877,000 arrest charges over their recorded careers.

* Within 3 years of release, 2.5% of released rapists were rearrested for another rape, and 1.2% of those who had served time for homicide were arrested for a new homicide.

* Sex offenders were less likely than non-sex offenders to be rearrested for any offense –– 43 percent of sex offenders versus 68 percent of non-sex offenders.

* Sex offenders were about four times more likely than non-sex offenders to be arrested for another sex crime after their discharge from prison –– 5.3 percent of sex offenders versus 1.3 percent of non-sex offenders.

----------------------------------------------------

The other issues regarding overcrowding are a little harder to come by because they vary from state to state and prison to prison. The best overall figure I've found is that the Federal Prison system is functioning 34% over capacity:

-----------------------------------------------------

I don't care what color, gender, or social class people that commit the crime are from, they should all be given the same punishment.

This is more a case of greed, people can buy their way out punishment, which is sickening.

The reproduction comment was on many levels. The children will have a higher chance to commit crimes, not to mention that its much harder to raise a kid with only one parent, further reducing the childs chances.

However, I never said you should punish the children of a major criminal activity.

While you think some of my reasons for capital punishment are flawed, I also believe alot of the reasons used against it don't hold water either, alot of what I see aren't really logical, but more a case of emotional justification, which results back to the main argument for most ... is the Death Penalty right or wrong?

However I believe it to be both right as well as cost effective, at least the older death penaltys.

Also I think it started much farther back than the 20th C. The rich & powerful have always bribed or weasled their way out of being convicted.

Bad you killed someone! And to show everyone it was wrong I'm going to kill you!

See the flaw in the logic?

Bad you killed someone! And to show everyone it was wrong I'm going to throw you in a tiny box for a few years!

In which case, costs thousands of dollars per person, per year, and they have a very high chance of repeating their offense.

See the flaw in that logic? heh

Naturaltalnt said:
Bad you killed someone! And to show everyone it was wrong I'm going to throw you in a tiny box for a few years!

In which case, costs thousands of dollars per person, per year, and they have a very high chance of repeating their offense.

See the flaw in that logic? heh

Your concern is money mine is what is auctually makes sense.

Na im just stressing the point of money. (The US as well as most of the world is in a money crisis right now)

I have alot of logical reasons behind them as well.

Just take a peak at the previous post, they have a 67% (majority) to repeat the previous offense.

Then of course, there is the over crowding problem.

Really the only/main reason I see being used against the death penalty is that its wrong ... which isn't much of a point.

That and ... your logic doesn't make sense!!! its wrong to kill people!!!

If we humans didnt act like assholes, there would be no murders. Peace and love brah.

2462380423_dbd7b7916f.jpg

So killing other people is normal in humans?

Well since murder happens quite often, im going to assume yes.

Just like justice, revenge, and so forth.

Mankind has killed each other since the dawn of time, we just got more efficient at it over time.

With that being said, ALL animals kill, its nature.

Users who are viewing this thread