Bye WoW

-.- publicly humiliating yourself by coming back 2 days later = sad face.

uninstalling wow doesnt make you stop playing wow, deleting all of your characters and having a strong will does :p no offense to any of the quitters but you need to actually take those last steps or you will usually come back

Most videogames are addictive, just l2 manage your time and enjoy both worlds.
TIP: If you spend more than 10min in GS doing nothing, log off and do something productive. I did just that for the past 3 hours and got basically all of my work done.

Yeah, WoW helps me manage my time with school to be honest.

I do all my studying \ note taking \ calculus while sitting in que - one of my in game mates is actually a math major, so playing WoW is beneficial to my math grades :D

But in all seriousness, if you manage it right, WoW can be an amazingly good conditioning stimulus. Realistically, it could be good for your physical shape too - doing pushups, crunches, chin ups in your doorway while waiting in que, for "that guy" / dumbass to get to the raid, for your arena mate to take a piss.. when I wrestled in high school, WoW was good for that too since gaming suppresses the urge to eat - and the several hundred reps of whatever made it so I could eat dinner without puking or running a gazillion miles.

Or if you have fast ques, "if I do X amount of problems, I'll join a BG \ instance \ srsbzns raid finder.

#PsychMajor
#LololHashTags

takes 5 billion years to download

only 2 seconds to remove

Well, it is like anything else. Moderation.

It is not that MMOs or games are particularly addictive. It is that they provide challenge if you have a life/job that does not challenge you, is not very interesting. Double that if you actually get into some position where you are a valuable part of a team or some guild official. Also, unlike what many say, it is not anti-social because you are socializing in a way.

Still, it is good to get out and do stuff. Otherwise, you can end up with depression from lack of sunlight and sedentary lifestyle. You can also after a long time of nothing but playing have to re-learn how to socialize. The way we socialize and topics we talk about online does not fly around the muggles.

But, do not be too hard on video games. Given a choice between a good game and the crap they play on TV, I think games are much better on your mind.

There are worse things too. You could have blown it on bar tabs in loud bars where the most intelligent conversation is some dumb sports team while 10 guys chase after the one skank in the bar trying to get laid. But, you saved your money, got some better conversation, maybe cranked up some pr0n, and were better off :)

My mom uninstall my game when i was at school, i came home almost crying*cough* when i saw it was gone. Downloaded it back for 1 freking damn week waiting.

Well, I did know of two or three folks that successfully quit WoW and not just take a break for months and come back or dabble in other games.

One dude would stay up really late and show up to work worthless. After he lost his warehouse job, his live in girlfriend supported him for a bit while he was online "putting in applications". But, the gf soon got tired of that shite after a month or three and booted him out where he was near homeless. He ended up getting another job and moving back in, but he could NEVER EVER be on a computer or be put out again.

Another dude got into heroin. He had to quit WoW because whatever computer he got he would have to pawn to get his fix.. Of course, when he ended up in jail for breaking into cars, I do not think they let you online in the prison library to play WoW.

Another dude was in his 50s in an old guild. He got diagnosed with diabetes and was going to possibly lose a foot if he did not change his lifestyle according to a doctor. I do know he successfully stopped MMOs.

My cousin never plays any games anymore. He can't. He married this evil woman who says he is being anti-social and will nag him relentlessly until he comes back in to sit wth her to watch TV.. Not to mention a threat of no nookie. Must be some good poontang to totally give up ALL gaming even old school DnD sessions. I would rathered watch pr0n and game than put up with that, but oh well. Instead, to get away from that, the dude has become an extreme workaholic and has two jobs.

Just in line with some of the other posts, I felt like chipping in that I'm really curious to the degradation of productivity & motivation that occurs in life after quitting WoW.

It's fascinating to think that less productive, less useful things tend to fill in the gaps allowed without WoW. I've played since vanilla and have "quit" a handful of times from between a few months and a year, and rather then see a sudden increase in grades or social activity, I actually saw a decrease in quarter GPA & went out even less. Time spent in WoW was replaced with books or miscellaneous television (Netflix). All the time was dumped into similarly useless hobbies- such as learning to code (albeit, a badass) game of tic-tac-toe, fix various electronic devices, and even picky things about running\exercise techniques. All in all, things that I haven't used since I was specifically focusing on them.

The concept of a challenge is interesting. I think I actually have given that as a reason to my parents for playing- it's the only thing I do that requires a full use of my brain. I played sports through the beginning of high school, but it didn't get much more complicated then avoid people, run fast, practice repetitive motions. I play multiple instruments, but after the initial learning curve it's pretty mindless, also. Occasionally I have to apply myself for homework, but that's an occurrence so rare it's actually pleasant. More competitive premades or arenas are the only thing I've really seen where you actually have to gain mastery over what you learn, and then apply it to multiple situations in multiple different ways and all of it is subject to change depending on what your opponents are doing - and after gaining that point of mastery, it comes to predicting your opponents move and setting up the fight multiple moves ahead. Sort of like an elaborate game of chess, that is why I enjoy WoW - it can be as complex as you want it to.

The other side of things is that if I'm not sitting in the living room facing everyone while playing WoW, I'm going to be sitting in the living room reading a book ignoring everyone or watching television with the family, either activity seems to be just as antisocial as the game itself. At least in the game, I think, you're using your brain - rather then just rotting your brain away on television.

It's all fairly intriguing, I think.

quitting wow wont be enough, you guys should think about why its even possible for you to get addicted in beeing in a virtual life, and trust me its not because wow is such a great (haha) game

Over the years I've quit wow many times infact, but in the end I keep coming back.
Since I have become F2P the issue of quitting has never crossed my mind, I liked the PVP on P2P so I'm happy.

Users who are viewing this thread