A Comprehensive Guide to Farming BiS BoE i29s/i42s in Dragonflight

Jonnes

Level One-Derful
Hello, it’s Jonnes again – bringing you another farming guide for level 1 twinks, but for Dragonflight this time. This one will specifically be an outline on farming your Bis BoE i29s/i42s.

This guide is up to date as of patch 10.0.2 (Last edited Jan 6, 2023).

What to Know

I want to go over a couple things I mentioned in the comprehensive guide. If you already read the entire thing, you can skip to the next section.

The launch of dragonflight converted all of our hard-earned Uncommon Ilvl5 gear into unusable items with level 8 requirements. It also, however, made Rare and Epic world drop items looted by level 10's usable at level 1! However, not only do they need to be looted on a level 10 character, but they also need to be looted from mobs that scale down to level 10 and in zones/dungeons that scale down to 10. If you're 10 and looting a level 15, or a chest in a level 15 area, the loot will have level requirements.

The Rare world items we have access to wind up at item level 29. They are the world drop Rare items from most expansions before legion, with myriad sources. Please note that this specifically DOES NOT include Rare items specific to one rare mob, or exclusive to one dungeon. The rare mob drops will scale personally with a level requirement, and the dungeon specific Rare drops will scale as dungeon loot with a level requirement. As far as dungeons go, this doesn't mean that ALL Rare items looted from dungeons mobs will be unusable, just ones designed to only drop from that dungeon's mobs specifically. These items are easiest to farm if they are from the Classic, BC, or WotLK era, due to being available in chests.

The Epic world items we have access to wind up at item level 42. Due to the types of mobs that drop these items (most don't scale down to level 10), the vast majority of the Epic items we can use are the world drop Epic items from Legion. These items are always going to be BiS for whichever slot you can get for them, even if they're not of your armor class or have mastery (provided that they provide your primary stat). This is not only because of the sheer number of primary and secondary stats, but also for the ability to proc sockets and tertiary stats. The legion Epic crit/vers neck with a socket actually has more stats than the grandfathered Valentine's day necklace.

Note: World items from Shadowlands and Battle for Azeroth do not seem to scale in the same way, and can be ignored in your pursuits.

Compared to Shadowlands, a lot of layers of RNG have been removed, at the expense of the items themselves being less common. Epic and Rare world drops will always have the same stats and stat budgets when dropped, and the RNG will simply be getting the item in the first place, and sockets/tertiaries for Epic legion items.

What to Do

You will need to do all of your farming on a character that is level 10 with locked experience. Everyone from level 1 to 10 loot the same required level of gear (as far as the world items that we want go), but the stat values will be lower if looted on a 1 instead of a 10.

I won't tell you which class to pick for your farming toon this time around, but I personally like Druids.

You should gear this character up to near twink status to cut your kill time down. Check out the 10s section on this site, and follow the advice there. At the very least, get a full set of blue-equivalent gear and some weapon enchants.

Getting your Ilvl 29 Rares

For the i29s, you will either have to kill specific mobs or loot chests. The BoEs that can be found in chests are infinitely easier to farm than i29s that aren't in chests (MoP and WoD era, and a handful from previous expacs). These chests come in six varieties with multiple same-named versions of each variety, spread out over Kalimdor, Eastern Kingdoms, Outland, and Northrend.

As mentioned before, you need to loot these chests in a zone that scales down to 10, on a character that is level 10. These chests guarantee a Rare item from their loot table, but give no guarantee that it'll be a good one.

On wowhead, pick your targeted Rare and see which chests it winds up in. Pick the variation that spawns in a zone that scales down to 10, and begin planning a route to check these chests and loot them. Personally, I use two accounts, one with my 10 and one being a high level toon which carries it around on a flying mount, one of them being an outlaw rogue. That way I can see if the chest has spawned from above on the minimap via Find Treasure.

I also recommend downloading GatherMate2 as you can set the filters to show you the spawns of those six chests. The public importable GatherMate2 data shows some spots that wowhead doesn't show, and wowhead is missing some spots that GatherMate2 has. You should combine these points on the map, and plan your route based on the conglomerated data in an image of your own making.

There's also an optional boss in Razorfen Kraul called the Enormous Bullfrog, which often drops BoE i29s when looted on a level 10. None of them are BiS for anyone, but some of them are halfway decent. I seriously recommend farming chests instead.

To repeat myself from earlier, make super sure that the Rare that you want isn't a drop specific to a dungeon or to a rare spawn. It will have a level 10 requirement on loot if it is. If you're not sure, open the slider scale for the item on Wowhead and bring it to 10. If the item says i29, you're good to go. If the item says i33 or i19, it won't work.

For the i29s not contained in these chests or in that frog, you'll just have to bash your head against the wall and farm the level 10 mobs that Wowhead claims drop them until you get lucky. Good luck!

Getting your Ilvl 42 Epics

Farming your Legion Epic items will follow the exact same format of farming Legion greens during Shadowlands, so I will be giving much of the same information from that guide. As far as trying to get Vanilla, BC, WotLK, MoP, and WoD Epic items that have been Confirmed/unconfirmed as possible to get at level 10, You'll just have to spam kill whatever mob might drop it, and there's not much of a guide I can give you for that besides use Wowhead, party up, and don't go insane.

If you're going to spend the entire time spamming 1 spell, equip at least one https://www.wowhead.com/item=122362/discerning-eye-of-the-beast?bonus=0 to make sure you never go OOM.

With broadcasted input multiboxing being a ToS offense since shadowlands, every individual cast and window change has to be an individual keystroke. Farming alone is pretty brutal, so try and group up with other people who farm often. Personal loot means the more the merrier! You can often find people who are up for it on the 1-9 section of the XPoff discord.

Some of the good spots for farming Legion Epic items have more than one kind of quickly-respawning monster. This means a simple macro with /tar and /cast won't cut it. Winterly and I recommend you download https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/gse-gnome-sequencer-enhanced-advanced-macros and tailor some custom sequential macros for each spot.

Once you have everything ready, you will want to stand relatively central to where the highest concentration of mobs are, and spam your macro. You will want to loot before corpses start disappearing, because you don't get BoEs left on corpses mailed to you.

I will put here the best spots that I know of personally. Click the titles to see a screenshot of the area. Please share any that I haven't listed.

Highmountain

1) Nesingwary Goat Hill (40.5, 54.0)

8Sz2s3i.png

A decent spot for BoE farming; it was the best before 9.0.5, but the BoE drop rate has diminished significantly. A dense cluster of goats surrounding two rocks, that respawn quickly. Right next to a flight point and a vendor.

2) Drogbar Battle (53.5, 63.5)

sgjib0p.png

An army of Drogbar that respawn over and over, locked in battle with Thunder Totem guards. They are relatively tightly packed, with about three independent clusters. Scripted respawns to keep the fight going. The pictured spot is right next to a vendor.

3) Front of Kobold Cave (55.5, 45.9)

BXAOgtN.png

A relatively fast spawning group of Kobolds hang around in front of the cave here. Requires a lot of movement if solo farming, but it's probably the best spot as far as BoEs per hour when done properly in a group. I would recommend farming with some higher level buddies here with a pull and aoe system.
(Credit to @ShinyHero for this spot)

Stormheim

1) Felskorn Encampment (65.0, 58.0)

swq6ZWI.png

A camp of Felskorn Vykrul, with plentiful forced spawns. Good rates of Epics here, and easy killing and looting. Lots of unstackable greys, however, and no nearby vendor. Bring a vendor mount. This is my favorite solo farming spot.

2) Shield's Rest Necromancers (80.5, 5.8)

ulsDvrT.png

A cliff where a few elite Vykrul necromancers stand summoning non-elite skeletons. Both mobs force spawn quickly. Slightly better rates than the Felskorn Encampment, but tougher to kill. Come here with a group.

Val'Sharah

1) Furbolg Imp Invasion (67.6, 73.9)

KTJ4lm7.png

A small grove with a Furbolg village that is being invaded by imps. A decent rate of greens (and assumedly Epics), as well as extremely valuable stackable greys. This place is typically overrun by level 50 gold farmers due to the latter.

2) Malorne's Refuge (57.7, 69.5)

7dYAub6.png

A temple flanked by two packs of Satyr that force spawn. If you kill one side, the other side spawns back. This area also drops the same valuable Felblood as the imp spot, but in lesser numbers.
(Credit to @Blazai for this spot)

Azsuna

1) Temple of a Thousand Lights (56.8, 64.8)

mQC2vv7.png

A temple terrace filled with ghosts and fire elementals that respawn quickly. A high movement solo spot comparable to Kobolds that shines in groups. I would recommend farming with some higher level buddies here with a pull and aoe system.

2) The Eye of Azshara (67.0, 55.0)

di3ugUF.png

While not technically in Azsuna, it uses the Azsuna loot table. This entire island is full of mobs, elite and non elite. The murloc villages here in particular are a popular spot for gold farmers, but require a lot of people farming the 3 clusters to enable force spawning. Running around the island as a solo farmer if you can't find a farming group is not a terrible option. This island is the only farming location that mails you forgotten loot (sometimes). Lots of Epics if you can keep up a good mobile pace.

3) Azurewing Whelplands (47.4, 14.7)

IMfLUzL.png

A specific section of this area has about 10 Withered Exiles that will forcespawn at a decent rate. Not an ideal spot, but solid. Requires you to "jump-start" the force spawning by killing a bunch of withered in the area outside the spot before they will start force spawning in the good spot.
(Credit to "Who Fed Zed" on Discord for this spot)

Last edited:
the dark iron treasure chest seems to give drops based on where it is looted (based on the new wowhead tables anyway).

ive opened only about ~100 of them in Wetlands without any cata drops, so it definitely could use more testing.
If anyone gets one of the cata socketed blues or other notable items pls say what zone you got it in and coords, it might be good

good strat for farming chests, rather than flying around. Gonna want 2 subbed accs tho (alt and warlock would be subbed)
just get a subbed warlock with summon stone, a summoner helper (or two) and one subbed alt with allied races . make macro to inv (alt's name) because you're gonna kick and delete and recreate and re-inv 50 times.
bring them all to a chest and make a summon portal.
on the warlock open the chest but do not loot (same as darkmoon faire)
loot on the alt
hearth alt, mail all drops to some toon, logout alt, delete alt
create new allied race alt Same name, summon it
repeat x50
when the summoning stone has cd refreshed, just cast it again with the help of alt and helper.
occasionally open the chest on the warlock just to make sure it dont despawn before 1hr

the dark iron treasure chest seems to give drops based on where it is looted (based on the new wowhead tables anyway).

ive opened only about ~100 of them in Wetlands without any cata drops, so it definitely could use more testing.
If anyone gets one of the cata socketed blues or other notable items pls say what zone you got it in and coords, it might be good

good strat for farming chests, rather than flying around. Gonna want 2 subbed accs tho (alt and warlock would be subbed)
just get a subbed warlock with summon stone, a summoner helper (or two) and one subbed alt with allied races . make macro to inv (alt's name) because you're gonna kick and delete and recreate and re-inv 50 times.
bring them all to a chest and make a summon portal.
on the warlock open the chest but do not loot (same as darkmoon faire)
loot on the alt
hearth alt, mail all drops to some toon, logout alt, delete alt
create new allied race alt Same name, summon it
repeat x50
when the summoning stone has cd refreshed, just cast it again with the help of alt and helper.
occasionally open the chest on the warlock just to make sure it dont despawn before 1hr
Yeah, that's why I didn't really look too much at the cata items, only a couple things in notables as possible, but not such a snowball's chance that it should go into unconfirmed. Wowhead does state several cata items in dark iron and runestone checks in wetlands/ashenvale, and I'll keep trying for them, but yeah 3x guild bank tabs later nothing yet. Won't write it off this early in the game though.

As far as your method, that'll work fine, I just think there's a lot less hassle just having class trials or high levels carrying around an outlaw rogue allied race with find treasure on your plotted route. You could also single sub it by just RAFing yourself to a million trial accounts and stage level ones with summon friend at every possible chest spawn, but that would be a serious endeavor.

Users who are viewing this thread