80 DK twinking - Some thoughts, plans and showoff

Seems rather pointless to do it in Wrath gear and then use Cata buffs, but congratulations I guess.

Hey guys, this thread has inspired me to actually do something with my DK!!! He's been kind of a bank alt for a little bit and sat at lvl 59 (or 60?). I recently raf'd him to 80 and have been working on his gear.

I solo'd PoS (R) last night and am ecstatic! I logged out while in the instance, so his gear isn't updated right now: Iittledk @ Lethon - Game Guide - World of Warcraft

Is there any tips or tricks you could give me on how to start soloing? I'm stuck waiting on runes to reset for Deathstrikes and my hp dips low while I'm waiting.

What are the buffs in your videos? I've got the journals from inscription. I hate the 1 hr cooldown ><

I'm gonna download Blood Shield Tracker and a rune addon. What are some of the better addon's you guys like?

Thanks,
Fez

P.S. - Did I mention I'm excited? lol! I've found a new love for WoW! I've been bored for a couple years now and I've just been goofin around gearing out alts for different twink brackets while I wait on MoP! My newest one is my 84 Shaman. Sharday @ Lethon - Game Guide - World of Warcraft She's bis, but not fun to play for very long.

Now that I have this DK I have tooooons of stuff to get done!! (Herald, Smourne, etc etc!!)

Awesome ill check it out right now! I went ti the link in his sig but didnt see any guides or anything. Ill check it out right now!

Edit: what's the link for? Lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any tips or tricks you could give me on how to start soloing? I'm stuck waiting on runes to reset for Deathstrikes and my hp dips low while I'm waiting.

What are the buffs in your videos? I've got the journals from inscription. I hate the 1 hr cooldown ><

I'm gonna download Blood Shield Tracker and a rune addon. What are some of the better addon's you guys like?

Tips/Advice
- Get the best gear you can (including gems/enchants/reforging/professions) and don't be afraid to mix it up a bit for different bosses. Some require more survival, whilst others have difficult enrage timers (the worst encounters being those where you need to carefully balance the two).
- Try to get your hands on a Sindragosa's Flawless Fang if you can. It's extremely powerful and invaluable for some fights/mechanics.
- Progress through the content at your own pace. If one boss gives you a lot of trouble, try a different one! Some of the hardest bosses will take a lot of patience/wiping until the RNG aligns for a kill.
- Make up some of your own challenges if you run out of bosses (or start to get bored). Multiple bosses at the same time? Pull some trash with the boss?
- Practise cycling your defensive cooldowns efficiently as it's important to spread them out enough that they will start coming off cooldown later on. A good way to do this is by alternating your 3-10min cooldowns (Icebound / Pact / Empower / Army / Potion) for predictable spike damage or when you drop very low/fast, and slot your shorter cooldowns in between (Rune Tap / Anti-Magic / Bone Shield / Vampiric / Dancing / Trinkets)
- Keep your diseases up whenever possible. More outgoing damage and less incoming damage is good!
- "Game" your runes. That means using Rune Strike when your Frost/Unholy runes are fully depleted, and use Blood Tap if you have a single rune to pair it with for an extra Death Strike every 30 seconds.
- If you can afford to, use an Adventurer's Journal every hour. Log out when you get a useful buff to save time on it, and clear the trash to a relevant boss on your main or with help from a friend.
- A basic stat priority you want to aim for would be: Stamina > Haste > Mastery >> Hit/Expertise Caps >> Crit >= Dodge/Parry. This will change depending on the encounter (heavy physical damage = stack more mastery/avoidance) but Stamina and Haste are very strong as they are our only defense against spell damage and also provide a boost to both survival and dps at the same time.
- Rune of the Fallen Crusader is the way to go (although there's a couple of occasions where I opted for Rune of Swordshattering instead).

Buffs/Conumables
- Guardian Elixir: Prismatic Elixir (for fights with resistable spell damage or debuffs) or Elixir of Deep Earth
- Battle Elixir: Elixir of Mighty Speed (to meet enrage timers or when there's a lot of incoming spell damage) or Elixir of the Master
- Flask: Flask of Steelskin (sometimes useful in conjunction with the Living Forever journal buff and/or ICC buff)
- Food: Basilisk Liverdog (enrage timers / spell damage) or Lavascale Minestrone
- Potion: Pre-pot with Golemblood Potion if you need the extra dps. During the fight use another for dps, or a Mythical Healing Potion as a defensive cooldown, or a Swiftness Potion if the fight requires it
- Drums of Forgotten Kings
- Runescroll of Fortitude (it's possible to get the Rank 2 buff with help from a level 85, but I always classed that as "cheating" for soloing)
- Adventurer's Journal: 15% damage to a specific mob type (to beat enrage timers) or the Living Forever buff for survival (which gets stronger in AoE situations)
- Dense Embersilk Bandage: Always carry some around with you, as you never know when they might come in handy!

Addons
- Deadly Boss Mods for the boss timers (or a similiar addon)
- Blood Shield Tracker with the bar positioned somewhere near your health bar (and near the center of the screen if possible)
- Vengeance Status to keep track of your Vengeance

Aelobin has some extremely useful stuff to say.

Kill the boss before he kills you.

also i would recommend a cool addon- Tiny attack power. Its so tiny that i can list the edited version here:
it contains 2 files:
1) TinyAttackPower.lua
-- --------------------------------
-- | Configuration |

-- font

local font_outline = true;
local font_size = 18;

-- colors

local power_color = "ffef00";
local crit_color = "ff00ff";
local haste_color = "06ff00";

-- initial state (can be changed ingame with mousewheel)

local show_power = true;
local show_crit = true;

-- | Don't edit below |

local state;
if (show_power and show_crit) then
state = 3;
elseif (show_crit) then
state = 2;
else
state = 1;
end

local apframe = CreateFrame("Frame","apframe",UIParent)
apframe:SetWidth(40); apframe:SetHeight(15);
apframe:SetMovable(1); apframe:EnableMouse(1); apframe:EnableMouseWheel(1);
apframe:SetPoint("CENTER", UIParent, "CENTER", -100, -100);

apframe:RegisterEvent("PLAYER_ENTERING_WORLD");
apframe:RegisterEvent("UNIT_ATTACK_POWER");
apframe:SetScript("OnEvent", function() AP_OnEvent(event, arg1) end)

apframe:SetScript("OnMouseDown", function() apframe:StartMoving() end);
apframe:SetScript("OnMouseUp", function() apframe:StopMovingOrSizing() end);
apframe:SetScript("OnDragStop", function() apframe:StopMovingOrSizing() end);
apframe:SetScript("OnMouseWheel", function() ChangeState(arg1) end);

local apstr = apframe:CreateFontString();
apstr:SetFontObject(GameFontNormal);
apstr:SetPoint("CENTER", apframe);
apstr:SetJustifyH("CENTER"); apstr:SetJustifyV("MIDDLE");

local font, size, flags = GameFontNormal:GetFont();
if (font_outline) then
apstr:SetFont(font, font_size, "OUTLINE");
else
apstr:SetFont(font, font_size);
end

function AP_OnEvent()
if (state == 2) then
apstr:SetText("|cff"..crit_color..string.format("%.2f", GetCritChance("player")));
elseif (state == 3) then
base, buff, debuff = UnitAttackPower("player");
pow = base + buff + debuff;
hst = GetCombatRating(18)/32.79;
apstr:SetText("|cff"..power_color.."AP: "..pow.." ".."|cff"..crit_color.."Crit: "..string.format("%.2f", GetCritChance("player")).."%".."|cff"..haste_color.." Haste: "..string.format("%.2f", hst).."%");
else
base, buff, debuff = UnitAttackPower("player");
pow = base + buff + debuff;
apstr:SetText("|cff"..power_color..pow);
end
end

function ChangeState(arg1)
state = state + arg1
if (state < 1) then
state = 3;
elseif (state > 3) then
state = 1;
end
AP_OnEvent();
end
2) TinyAttackPower.toc
## Interface: 20100
## Title: TinyAttackPower
## Notes: Shows your current Attack Power
## Author: SideShow (Draenor) ed.ha@belgacom.net
## Version: 0.31
TinyAttackPower.lua

PS: meantime in Obsidian Santcum
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/8466/sart1.jpg

Ahh! Yeah, Splosion, I forgot he had that trinket lol!

Awesome! Thanks Aelobin and Tetarius! I read up on Blood DK's and got some good info from you guys and I was able to solo a few heroics! I'm still getting the hang of watching timers and rotating cd's. It's basically the same concept as my prot warrior, just DK cd's work a little different.

The first boss in Throne of the Tides got me a couple times. I wasn't able to solo her, but I think it will be easier the more I get used to a DK!

And woot I got a couple more pieces of gear! 9 TotT and 10 BRC and still dont have everything! Now I just have to get the Vashj'ir quest chains done for the TotT quest stuff!

Thanks!

Edit: Yeah the undead racial looks pretty sick!

probably scaled to 90. and even if 80, wow...15k (shadow) damage and healing, gambreaking not

It's extra (non-useless) healing in place of the most useless racial in the game. Who care's if it's gamebreaking, it's certainly more powerful for some classes than other racials.

It's extra (non-useless) healing in place of the most useless racial in the game. Who care's if it's gamebreaking, it's certainly more powerful for some classes than other racials.

good, but not "ridiculously op" or good enough to race change

Users who are viewing this thread